advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

A few clips, some obscure, some obvious ones and one contemporary outing - Please excuse the films, I will not be bothering Bafta any time soon.

Not British but a Lansdowne (Bad film and sound)

Fantastic Jimmy Deuchar on TEMPO

John Cameron

Matthew Halsall - If wondering what LP to go for from this contemporary British Jazzer, I would suggest all of them.

I do know Gerald had the tapes, I'm not 100% about Shades of Blue as I've never seen an original pressing STEREO copy (I had believed they were all MONO) It would be odd of they tinkered with it for STEREO so perhaps there were some STEREO pressings? . I kind of wish the electric recording co had done them simply from an all analogue point of view. I've not heard the Jazz man issues but several people say they have done a nice job and considering how long they had the tapes I'd say this was a positive thing.

On the matter of UK Jazz issues (In the Rendell Carr style) this is a nice one (Available most places)

Available for the first time after it was recorded 50 years ago. (In effect this is not a re issue) the recording is as would be expected but musically is has some highlights.

All the Jazzman reissues are in Stereo, but the sleeves for Shades of Blue and Duskfire are the Mono ones with just a sticker on the shrink wrap to say Stereo. I think you are right that there were only mono copies of these two released. It would seem though the mastertapes were made in Stereo and then a fold down was made for mono release. They do not sound in anyway like processed Stereo to me. I'm sure Gerald would not have allowed this after spending so many years on getting these reissued and to such a high quality. They all sound pretty good to me with lovely silent pressings as well, but I have never heard an original.

I have the Jazzaggresion reissue of - The Bird Curtis Quintet, but not their Needs Be. I must add that.

Glad to hear that he has recovered and is working again. I'll have to pick up a copy of the Wire.

I have an original 1971 copy and love - 'Dedicated to you, but you weren't listening', but I think the earlier Keith Tippett Group - 'You are here...I am there' from 1970 is even better. Dedicated has a great cover though. Both are essential. :)

And the Centipede, Keith and Julie Tippett composed, ' Septober Energy' from 1971 is good as well, but nothing can reproduce the power and energy this big band generated live. I saw the Centipede pre album debut 1970 concert at the Lyceum, when the band was enormous and the 1971 concert at the Rainbow.

I spent far too much time listening to You Are Here on repeat play cassette whilst revising for my A levels, which may explain my B grades. But it was after I’d already heard Dedicated To You, so it didn’t have the same impact - but a great record nonetheless.

Wish I’d been at both those gigs you mention, unfortunately I was only 10 or 11 at that time....although the only concert I’ve ever attended on my own was Keith Tippet and Howard Riley at Goldsmiths, duo and solo. Maybe more about Riley soon.

I did have reason to meet KT many years later in the early 90s. He is an absolute charming man, very erudite and quick witted - as one would expect.

A few clips, some obscure, some obvious ones and one contemporary outing.

Mathew/Audio Grail, if you have any influence upon the movers and shakers who are reissuing classic British Jazz LPs, can you please put in a request for Ronnie Ross’s Cleopatra’s Needle?

Always nice to see your lovely Garrards with some great music.

Here’s another classic that can all too easily fall under the radar - the Frank Ricotti Quartet, with Chris Spedding on guitar:

I was fortunate enough to find a NM copy in our local post office several years ago. Although it should be nominated for the worst sleeve design of all time.

...although the only concert I’ve ever attended on my own was Keith Tippet and Howard Riley at Goldsmiths, duo and solo. Maybe more about Riley soon.

I did have reason to meet KT many years later in the early 90s. He is an absolute charming man, very erudite and quick witted - as one would expect.

I first saw him in 1969 when he was on the Jazz course at Barry Summer school that I think I mentioned in Rendall Carr thread. I think he had aspirations for large band works (like Centipede's - Septober Energy) even then, so I think he probably had a fair bit of input into the Jazz Suite for the 1969 Moon landing that was produced as a large work for all the tutors and students to participate in at the end of the course? Hard to think that is almost exactly 50 years ago now. Saw him a couple of times with Julie (Driscoll) Tippett(s) in the early 70's. I think once at Bedford College with just them plus John Stevens on drums? Never saw him with Howard Riley, but he definitely should get a mention here.

Mathew/Audio Grail, if you have any influence upon the movers and shakers who are reissuing classic British Jazz LPs, can you please put in a request for Ronnie Ross’s Cleopatra’s Needle?

Hi Graham, Cleopatra's Needle did receive a short run re issued in JPN some time ago. (Not sure on the sound quality though)

Hi Graham, Cleopatra's Needle did receive a short run re issued in JPN some time ago. (Not sure on the sound quality though)

Thanks Matthew. I’ve avoided the Japanese reissue as from what Tony Higgins has said, regarding sourcing master tapes for the Impressed series, the masters could not be found at Universal for Cleopatra’s Needle. So I’m assuming the 2006 reissue would be a clean, and slightly expensive, needle drop. I wonder whatever happened to Fontana masters?

But thanks for the Bird Curtis recommendation. Just ordered from Honest Jons.

Here’s another classic that can all too easily fall under the radar - the Frank Ricotti Quartet, with Chris Spedding on guitar:
Your mention of Frank Ricotti made me think about Harry Beckett, who has not yet had a mention, as he was on Harry's first album as leader - 'Flare Up' that as well as Frank has a great selection of of the then young British Jazz players including John Surman, Mike Osborne, Alan Skidmore, John Taylor, etc.

I have a nice 1970 Phillips original that I must dig out and play.

He also has an absolutely filthy sense of humour.

I have seen him live many times in a variety of configurations, but I think all I have of him on vinyl is Centipede and the KC album he contributed to. Remedying my unfamiliarity with his recorded works is a must-do when I have more time to listen to music.

I found my copy of Harry Beckett's - Flare Up (see above) and gave it a spin. I can't understand why have not played it for so long. Excellent music and sound. Sorry I didn't mention Chris Lawrence, bass and John Webb, drums who make a great contribution to this album. Especially Lawrence who seems to have played with just about everybody, on classical, rock and pop as well as Jazz Records and is still active.

While looking for this I also found and played my copy of Sunbird by Gordon Beck with him on piano / electric piano and Alan Holdworth on electric and acoustic guitars. Later period 1979 and recorded in Paris and very much in the 'fusion' period, but very good and sounds pretty fine as well.

Some ideas from my collection...

John McLaughlin - Extrapolation

John Mayer & Joe Harriott - Indo-Jazz Fusions

John Stevens - John Stevens Away

Jack Bruce - Things We Like

Alan Skidmore - The Call

Pinkski Zoo - East Rail East

Bill Bruford's Earthworks - Dig?

First House- Cantilena

Later Westbrook is also great if you 'get' Mrs Westbrook etc

My favourites are Release, Celebration. Marching Song. Love Songs, Mama Chicago. The Cortege and Glad Day. I never tire of those.

I can accept that some find it unpleasant though, I went to a concert in about 1990, advertised as Cabaret Jazz, where half the audience (those under 30 years old), walked out after the first song. Titanic, sung by Kate. The band turned their backs also, we moved into the now vacant best seats and a great night was had by all. One of those things you never forget

I stumbled across this one more or less by accident a few years back, and it has since become one of my most loved and consistently enjoyable albums:
80Y1QYS.jpg

Mine is a nice cheapie "Whatmusic" re-issue (2002), but if you want the real thing it will prove to be rather more costly unfortunately.
ML

I stumbled across this one more or less by accident a few years back, and it has since become one of my most loved and consistently enjoyable albums:
80Y1QYS.jpg

Mine is a nice cheapie "Whatmusic" re-issue (2002), but if you want the real thing it will prove to be rather more costly unfortunately.
ML

Yes, I'd love to see a proper re-release of that one. The CD will have to do for the time being.

Another Graham Collier release I rate is "Down Another Road" from 1969.

The Halsall track Audiograil posted certainly sounded very good. One to be considered.

In the meantime, here is a nice collection ( to say the least) for those that haven’t already seen it (probably already posted):

advertisement

Back