advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

I love this album. I've been looking for a vinyl copy for most of my life!

I love it too. I've made do with a CD copy because I'm not stumping up £200 for an original. Even the Vocalion CD goes for daft money these days.

There is a more recent Japanese LP pressing (still £60+), but I've no idea of the provenance.

I'm quite the fan of Matthew Halsall's Fletcher Moss Park.

A Manchester-based small jazz ensemble leader/trumpet player. Miles Davis clearly his influence.

R-6550300-1421786402-9312.jpeg.jpg

That's an absolute favourite of the past few years - one of my most played records and a nice vinyl press direct from MH via Bandcamp.

If we're coming past the 1980s I'd put in a shout for Chris Bowden's Time Capsule which is now released on vinyl - I only have a cd version so may need to upgrade. A wonderful record which take, for me, joins the dots between the current crop of British jazz (or even Kamasi Washington) and 60s spiritual jazz. Another long term favourite.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FDNRPFL/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Kevin

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Sticking to the late 60s/early 70s, this is a pretty good list (possibly leaning more towards jazz rock than free jazz). I've got a fair few: I love them all...

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/sugn...tish-jazz-recordings-from-late-60s-early-70s/

The Flashpoint NDR DVD is worth seeing not only for some great music but also for the interesting contemporary fashion statements. Maybe it’s time I posted about Turtle Records. Here is a teaser: what do Donavon, Terry Dactyl and the Dinosaurs and Mike Osbourne all have in common?

The Flashpoint NDR DVD is worth seeing not only for some great music but also for the interesting contemporary fashion statements. Maybe it’s time I posted about Turtle Records. Here is a teaser: what do Donavon, Terry Dactyl and the Dinosaurs and Mike Osbourne all have in common?

Peter Eden ? (& perhaps shuffling at Southend) ;)

Edit:
So if correct, what final two names connect (in some way) Peter Eden, Colin Harper, John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana to you. :)

Last edited:
Peter Eden ? (& perhaps shuffling at Southend) ;)

Edit:
So if correct, what final two names connect (in some way) Peter Eden, Colin Harper, John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana to you. :)

Peter Eden it is, engineer and producer for Pye records amongst other things. Around 1970 he decided he wanted to do something different and released three classic British jazz albums on his own label Turtle: John Taylor's Pause and Think Again, Mike Osbourne's Outback and Howard Riley/Tony Oxley/Barry Guy's Flight. More were slated, but unfortunately Turtle became financially unviable. After Turtle folded Richard Branson was interested in him joining Virgin/Manor, but that didn't progress and he went back to producing novelty singles.

There was a nice Turtle CD box set several years ago with all three titles mastered from tape with an excellent booklet. They sound superior to the unsanctioned FMR releases mentioned in a previous post, but still suffer a bit from problems of ageing tape. I actually found a copy of Pause and Think again in Circle Records in Liverpool in the late 70s, but I was drawn more to the surreal cover art than knowledge of John Taylor - so decided not to buy it. I should have taken my cue from the LP title.......

Sorry, don't know the answer to your riddle. Do let us know.

Peter Eden it is, engineer and producer for Pye records amongst other things. Around 1970 he decided he wanted to do something different and released three classic British jazz albums on his own label Turtle: John Taylor's Pause and Think Again, Mike Osbourne's Outback and Howard Riley/Tony Oxley/Barry Guy's Flight. More were slated, but unfortunately Turtle became financially unviable. After Turtle folded Richard Branson was interested in him joining Virgin/Manor, but that didn't progress and he went back to producing novelty singles.

There was a nice Turtle CD box set several years ago with all three titles mastered from tape with an excellent booklet. They sound superior to the unsanctioned FMR releases mentioned in a previous post, but still suffer a bit from problems of ageing tape. I actually found a copy of Pause and Think again in Circle Records in Liverpool in the late 70s, but I was drawn more to the surreal cover art than knowledge of John Taylor - so decided not to buy it. I should have taken my cue from the LP title.......

Sorry, don't know the answer to your riddle. Do let us know.

I could see most of the connections, manager of Donovan etc., but did he also engineer or A&R for Terry Dactyl and the Dinosaurs? That was the bit I really had to really think about and further try to check on. I thought it could be Ready, Steady, Go, but finally thought that the connection was that Peter Eden was born in Southend on Sea and ended up owning a record shop there? He now lives in Hadliegh Near Southend. Terry Dactyl and the Dinosaurs novelty hit single was Seaside Shuffle.

Apparently he had trouble selling Turtle records to shops and Mike Osborne sold more at his gigs than through the shops. I would think Howard Riley and Tony Oxley would have been more difficult to shift?

Colin Harper is the music journalist wrote the booklet that accompanied the Turtle CD box set and he also wrote 'Bathed in Lightning' a book on John McLaughlin. John McLaughlin played with Carlos Santana, 'Love, Devotion Surrender' etc. Carlos Santana had the collaborative album, 'Illuminations' with Alice Coltrane. There is also the Sri Chinmoy connection between these three. Frank Lowe played saxophone on Alice Coltrane's 'World Galaxy' and probably his best known album is 'Black Beings' the sleeve of which is your Avatar. o_O:)

I look forward to your post(s) on Turtle record. I really should get the CD box set.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012B84TEG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That's an absolute favourite of the past few years - one of my most played records and a nice vinyl press direct from MH via Bandcamp.
If we're coming past the 1980s I'd put in a shout for Chris Bowden's Time Capsule which is now released on vinyl - I only have a cd version so may need to upgrade. A wonderful record which take, for me, joins the dots between the current crop of British jazz (or even Kamasi Washington) and 60s spiritual jazz. Another long term favourite.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FDNRPFL/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Kevin

Just ordered the vinyl - thanks for the tip

The Emcee 5 - 'BeBop from the East coast 60-62' - Birdland Records 1987

Mike & Ian Carr's 60's Newcastle BeBop/Modern jazz outfit. This album has all the studio and live tracks known to exist by the outfit and it's pretty good - especially if, like me, you love Ian & Mike Carr's other work. Has Malcolm Cecil (yes - that Malcolm Cecil) on bass and Ronnie Stephenson on drums. Later recordings on the LP also feature local upstart John Mclaughlin.

Well worth seeking out if you like Ian Carr.

John Surman - Way Back When

Recordings from 1969 that were not released until (I think 2005). Think In a Silent Way with a lot more banging and crashing - well there would be with the inestimable, and ubiquitous, John Marshall on board. Cracking record that pre-dates the Johnny Almond and Nucleus fusion efforts by about 12 months.

NB - Just realised this was one of a few albums I bought on the personal recommendation of Robert Wyatt.

John Surman - Way Back When

Recordings from 1969 that were not released until (I think 2005). Think In a Silent Way with a lot more banging and crashing - well there would be with the inestimable, and ubiquitous, John Marshall on board. Cracking record that pre-dates the Johnny Almond and Nucleus fusion efforts

Could never understand why this record was never released in its day. I also think of it as related to In A Silent Way. Highly recommended and excellent sound.

Another classic that shouldn’t be overlooked is Kenny Graham plays the music of Moondog (Suncat Suites). Contemporary 1960s British Jazz at its most eccentric, adding a twist (the arrangements) that I can’t imagine coming from Moondog himself.

Johnny Trunk reissued it several years ago. It’s a needle drop from a very clean pressing, but originals are so rare and expensive. And it’s a very good needledrop. Nice artwork too:

advertisement

Back