advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

Within the framework of the thread many people find Derek Bailey extreme/challenging. But let’s not forget he was in the BBC house band, went on tour with Morecambe and Wise, played the Desert Island Disc theme tune for a while on solo guitar and I believe was Kathy Kirby’s guitarist (the latter I had a crush on at the age of 5, according to my parents).

He used to play for Russ Conway too.

On the freer side:

You beat me to it I was going to recommend both of these at some point. I have vinyl originals of both. Plenty of great John Surman stuff and I will add Ray Russell's - Rites and Rituals from 1970 to Dragon Hill.

Last edited:
One of my favourite Tony Oxley recordings, outside of his work with Cecil Taylor, is 'Coe, Oxley & Co – Nutty (on) Willisau';

Alongside the Spontaneous Music Ensemble, two other improvising groups are worth mentioning;

Iskra 1903 (Paul Rutherford, Derek Bailey & Barry Guy) is one of the Ur-groups from which so much seems to have flowed. Several of their recordings can be found on the Emanem label, this set is outstanding.

AMM (Eddie Prévost, John Tilbury, and several others); many recordings on Prévost's own Matchless Records, from the mid-60s to today. The Crypt is a classic, Newfoundland, and Combine + Laminates are also superb.

This is turning into a really interesting thread. Seems that while I was turning on to West Coast psych in the late 60’s there was a whole other scene going on which I totally ignored, even when I was working in a record shop in the 70’s. Got into Reggae instead!
Still, plenty of time to catch up, but I get nervous when I see references to King Crimson. They were definitely the most boring band I ever saw (Watford Town Hall, 1970 or 71) - at least that’s what I thought at the time. Strangely enough I work with a chap who loves all this, especially AMM and Evan Parker. I’ll try and get him to contribute.

It’s an area that’s not at all well represented in my collection. I’ve got John Mclaughlin’s Extrapolation, Evan Parker’s The Snake Decides, Joe Herriot Abstract - each of which I’d recommend but otherwise it’s seriously under represented in my collection. This may become another expensive thread - or at least a great Sonos playlist.

Kevin

For the Crimso link:

And there's John Stevens' extensive back catalogie away from the SME

More recent (80s) is David Defries' The Secret City

Other thoughts, Alan Skidmore and Mike Osborne

Love these two John Surman/John Warren, John Surman recordings, first heard courtesy of Cornwall record library in the 70's. First has a recent vinyl reissue on "Klimt Records".

Here's on of my favourite links to British Jazz output of that period, with short samples:

https://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/foru...iews/12724-jazz-on-a-winters-night-with-mp3-s

WARNING: you will bankrupt yourself attempting to pick up original copies :)

PS: It does seem the the links are no longer active (they were until quite recently). Shame...

This is an amazing collection of early British Modern Jazz, especially in original pressings. I have a few, but hardly any in first pressings and there is quite a number I have never heard of. This seems to be Mathew Taylor (Audio Grail), Garrard Turntable restorer who sometimes posts here on Pinkfish? I knew he had some good stuff as I remember a post by him where he had a photo with a Shades of Blue (original) behind a 301. It seems though he has cornered the market in originals!

That's the chap, and indeed he has: however, a couple of years ago he sold off a large proportion of his collection on ebay. I was in correspondence with him regarding a couple of items, but was outbid on all the ones I wanted. Ultimately, the prices were just too rich for me.

The Vocalion label did a sterling amount of work re-releasing a huge number of titles on CD (most of which I bought), but the only one they did on vinyl (AFAIK) was "Hum Dono". Ironically, even the CDs fetch good prices now as they were pressed in limited numbers.

The Vocalion label did a sterling amount of work re-releasing a huge number of titles on CD (most of which I bought), but the only one they did on vinyl (AFAIK) was "Hum Dono". Ironically, even the CDs fetch good prices now as they were pressed in limited numbers.

Yes I must get a vinyl copy of Hum Dono, I don't know why I haven't. I'm pretty certain there was a Gearbox Records mastered version as well as the Vocalion, but they don't seem to list it on their site any longer. I think I saw a copy in Ray's Jazz shop recently. I'll have a look again next time I am in town. Of course I have no idea if this is true which would be the better mastering. Although Gearbox stuff is usually good.

Just ordered the Impressed & Impressed Volume 2 (a bit harder to find and more expensive than Volume 1). I've only got Heart is A lotus by Michael Garrick so I'll look out for Cold Mountain. Thanks Graham - this could get quite wallet draining! Any chance of pointing out anything really extreme musically - not sure I'm that adventurous :rolleyes:

There is an interesting post on the London Jazz collector about the Impressed Compilations. Make sure to sroll down to the comments and see the one by The Jazz Dad (Tony Higgins) who wrote the sleeve notes and sourced the tapes. A third version was planned, but never happened. There could have been a much wider series of releases, but ultimately Universal showed no interest in any of it.
https://londonjazzcollector.wordpre...ressed-british-jazz-1962-72-2002-compilation/

Yes I must get a vinyl copy of Hum Dono, I don't know why I haven't. I'm pretty certain there was a Gearbox Records mastered version as well as the Vocalion, but they don't seem to list it on their site any longer. I think I saw a copy in Ray's Jazz shop recently. I'll have a look again next time I am in town. Of course I have no idea if this is true which would be the better mastering. Although Gearbox stuff is usually good.
Anyone find the pressing of Hum Dono a bit iffy? Mine sounds like it's mis-tracking whenever Norma Winstone sings.

There is an interesting post on the London Jazz collector about the Impressed Compilations. Make sure to sroll down to the comments and see the one by The Jazz Dad (Tony Higgins) who wrote the sleeve notes and sourced the tapes. A third version was planned, but never happened. There could have been a much wider series of releases, but ultimately Universal showed no interest in any of it.
https://londonjazzcollector.wordpre...ressed-british-jazz-1962-72-2002-compilation/

The comments by Tony Higgins tell a bit of a sad story. One of the albums I wish could be reissued is Cleopatra's Needle by Ronnie Ross. There is a track from the LP on Impressed, and it's a cracker, but if you listen carefully it sounds like a needle drop. Tony Higgins confirms this somewhere in one of his articles, as not all the master tapes could be located back in the early 00s. Probably less chance now.

Anyone find the pressing of Hum Dono a bit iffy? Mine sounds like it's mis-tracking whenever Norma Winstone sings.

I have the CD. I think it is a needle drop, or a mix of tape and needle drop. I'm allergic to needle drops, and there are more out there than engineers/labels will admit to (which is why I've been reluctant to start a thread on the recent Strata East reissues). The indicators are the grainy nature of the sound, lack of HF extension and the fact that no matter how well surface noise can be disguised by digital editing it is impossible to hide the dreaded groove wear. I'm also allergic to groove wear, something our beloved London Jazz Collector seems immune to.

Love these two John Surman/John Warren, John Surman recordings, first heard courtesy of Cornwall record library in the 70's. First has a recent vinyl reissue on "Klimt Records".

Great choices, but the Klimt reissues I've heard have been needle drops (admittedly I haven't heard the Klimt Surman). It would be useful if you would indicate whether you think this one is.

Last edited:
Please start a thread. I'd like to hear your views on the Strata East reissues. I assume you are referring to the Pure Pleasure ones. Or the Superfly reissues?

https://thevinylpress.com/clifford-jordan-glass-bead-games/
https://thevinylpress.com/strata-east-reissues-pure-pleasure/

Bill Hart (who posts a lot on the Hoffman forum) above quite likes them. I am less convinced about the Strata East ones although I've heard some very decent reissues mastered from original vinyl records (particularly rare african music where the original tapes are no longer in existence or lost).

I'm allergic to needle drops, and there are more out there than engineers/labels will admit to (which is why I've been reluctant to start a thread on the recent Strata East reissues). The indicators are the grainy nature of the sound, lack of HF extension and the fact that no matter how well surface noise can be disguised by digital editing it is impossible to hide the dreaded groove wear. I'm also allergic to groove wear, something our beloved London Jazz Collector seems immune to.

Please start a thread. I'd like to hear your views on the Strata East reissues. I assume you are referring to the Pure Pleasure ones. Or the Superfly reissues?

Bill Hart (who posts a lot on the Hoffman forum) above quite likes them. I am less convinced about the Strata East ones.....

I've invested in about half dozen Strata East from Pure Pleasure, I haven't heard any Superfly reissues although I am aware of their existence. It's a bit of a long topic, some stunning music, but deserves its own thread. Maybe soon after I've gathered my thoughts and observations.

I have the CD. I think it is a needle drop, or a mix of tape and needle drop. I'm allergic to needle drops, and there are more out there than engineers/labels will admit to (which is why I've been reluctant to start a thread on the recent Strata East reissues). The indicators are the grainy nature of the sound, lack of HF extension and the fact that no matter how well surface noise can be disguised by digital editing it is impossible to hide the dreaded groove wear. I'm also allergic to groove wear, something our beloved London Jazz Collector seems immune to.
Cheers, yes, listening on Spotify now and the same problem, bit worse in fact. And yes, grainy. Still a fantastic record and I'll be able to enjoy it more now knowing that it's not my cart that's mistracking.

https://thevinylpress.com/clifford-jordan-glass-bead-games/
https://thevinylpress.com/strata-east-reissues-pure-pleasure/

Bill Hart (who posts a lot on the Hoffman forum) above quite likes them. I am less convinced about the Strata East ones although I've heard some very decent reissues mastered from original vinyl records (particularly rare african music where the original tapes are no longer in existence or lost).

I was tempted to get the Clifford Jordan Glass Bead Game as I would like to have a vinyl copy of that, but am a bit suspicious about all Pure Pleasure releases as although they claim to use master tapes when specifically asked if they are really AAA they always avoid a clear answer. If they a digital master of some sort they could even be a proscessed digital master from a needle drop. Speakers Corner, who I think are distributed in the UK by Pure Pleasure clearly state their are AAA from the master tapes.

advertisement

Back