advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

I love it too. I've made do with a CD copy because I'm not stumping up £200 for an original. Even the Vocalion CD goes for daft money these days.

There is a more recent Japanese LP pressing (still £60+), but I've no idea of the provenance.

I see the only copy that ever seems to be available is back on e-bay at an even higher price thank last time—£171!

If this rate of inflation continues in seven years, they'll be asking the GDP of a medium sized country for it.

Do you think they'd accept an offer of 20 quid?

Stephen

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I agree: I think it's from Japan, and I would question the provenance. However, if you really had to have a vinyl copy...

This rediscovered Tubby Hayes session is out. Double CD and vinyl. Anyone caved in yet? Thoughts? I understand the vinyl has been mastered AAA by Gearbox:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/jazz-saxophonist-tubby-hayes-lost-masterpiece-1969-release/

I hadn't seen it was now out, but I am up for it just have to decide if I want the CD with all the takes and studio chatter or the vinyl, which as from Gearbox is almost certainly AAA, and trust the selection of takes is the best. No I'm not getting both. I am already over spending on records as it is these days.

I hadn't seen it was now out, but I am up for it just have to decide if I want the CD with all the takes and studio chatter or the vinyl, which as from Gearbox is almost certainly AAA, and trust the selection of takes is the best. No I'm not getting both. I am already over spending on records as it is these days.

I had look at this too after Graham recommended it and have the same dilemma. I very rarely buy CDs unless I have no choice. I was going to go for the vinyl here too unless someone with more knowledge suggests otherwise....

I had look at this too after Graham recommended it and have the same dilemma. I very rarely buy CDs unless I have no choice. I was going to go for the vinyl here too unless someone with more knowledge suggests otherwise....

I decided I'm going for the vinyl. I rarely buy CD's if I can get a good vinyl copy. I have some Tubby Hayes on both including a couple of original pressings. I usually end up only playing the vinyl.

After a quick sampling session on YouTube (it’s there in its entirety) I’ve weakened and gone for the vinyl from Honest Jon’s. Tubby sounds on great form. Most time I find wading through studio chatter and alternate takes laborious. Nothing beats a well edited LP IMO. Of course, there are exceptions.

I had a brief misgiving about the guitar, but I notice the single LP and single CD are from sessions sans guitar, with the note that these tracks would have been the envisioned original LP.

Fortunately this one is on Qobuz so having another listen and I think I'm going to have to cave in on this one too. Is there any reason you went to Honest Jon's versus Amazon where it's cheaper and, at least for me, free postage?

Fortunately this one is on Qobuz so having another listen and I think I'm going to have to cave in on this one too. Is there any reason you went to Honest Jon's versus Amazon where it's cheaper and, at least for me, free postage?

No. I like to give them some business occasionally.

As this later Tubby Hayes is getting a recommendation I like to recommend something a little earlier. It is his first after the breakup of the Jazz Couriers in 1959 and another Decca studios recording.

The Tubby Hayes Quartet - 'Tubby's Groove with Terry Shanon on Piano, Jeff Clyde on Bass and the great Phil Seaman on Drums. It was originally issued on Tempo records, but mine is an early Jasmine pressing.

Edited due multiple typos :(

Last edited:
I love a bit of Tubby :)

I have original pressings of 100% Proof and Mexican Green, but am seriously considering going the whole hog here.

Now I'm really in a dilemma. I haven't hit buy on Grits & Beans yet. Perhaps this is a bit too much more Tubby for me as well and I have a 3 of these. The box set is undoubtedly good value when you look at the price of the originals and probable quality. It is a limited edition, but expect I at least a 1,000 copies (they don't say how many) to make any economic sense. So I don't think they will issue individually until it sells out, although the Grits & Beans that is already released is included. Will it sell out as quickly as the Rendall Carr box set? More LP's, but double the price. Will it attract any 'scalpers'? If it does sell out the individuals should follow quite quickly. If not who knows.

It is very good to have all these great reissues, but it is getting more and more difficult to make and afford buying decisions.

These are all interesting. (OK Dizzy is Jamaican but like Joe Harriott both made their bones in the Alpha Boys School before coming to the UK)

'Worlds Within Worlds' is a great album but not really jazz, free or not. :)

I know what you mean, more a experimental stream of warped freedom. Evan Parker plays features heavily (Spontaneous music ensemble etc) the LP is also produced by Denis Preston so whilst it hangs on the fringes, it's shares a great deal of Jazz DNA, probably more so than any other form it could be apportioned to.

advertisement

Back