advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

Maybe a bit of a clunky fit on this thread, but this Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & LSO thing looks kind of interesting (Bleep). I’ve just bagged the fancy vinyl.

Maybe a bit of a clunky fit on this thread, but this Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & LSO thing looks kind of interesting (Bleep). I’ve just bagged the fancy vinyl.

From the Youtube clip I'm guessing this will sound mostly like a Floating Points record - but that's no bad thing! Looks like I was too slow on the fancy marbled vinyl version.

Looks like I was too slow on the fancy marbled vinyl version.

Wow, they went fast! The Bleep ad on Facebook was time-stamped six hours ago, I only spotted it in my feed just before making the post above, so I must have got one of the last. You’ve got to move pretty fast with limited vinyl these days!

I think Alex Hawkins deserves some credit too ;-)

I'm afraid I'm kind of avoiding Evan's music for a bit after his recent 'covid nonsense' piece which rather upset me. I imagine I'll get over it.

Yes, Alex Hawkins. Sounds interesting, anyhow.

I saw a link to Evan’s Covid piece, Rockets for Kary Mullis, but couldn’t bring myself to listen to it either after reading EP’s blurb:

https://laplateforme-sonsdhiver.org/crea-parker/

The amazing Ric Colbeck album 'the sun is coming up' was due a reissue a few years ago. It was even advertised online as a pre-order but was cancelled for some reason. One of my favorite free-jazz albums. Hope it gets a reissue sometime.

The amazing Ric Colbeck album 'the sun is coming up' was due a reissue a few years ago. It was even advertised online as a pre-order but was cancelled for some reason. One of my favorite free-jazz albums. Hope it gets a reissue sometime.

It would be nice to see the Ric Colbeck reissued, originals in NM are expensive. The only info I have gleaned is that this title, along with several other rare classics, were supposed to be reissued by Universal Japan spring 2016. However, it looks like Universal pulled the plug due to lack of pre-orders, which sounds like a weak excuse to me. I know Universal pulled out of their excellent British jazz reissue series mid to late naughties due to lack of sales. Things might be different now with a revitalised UK jazz audience, so let’s hope for a new series soon.

I see Eargong (whoever they are) have reissued on vinyl the three excellent Turtle Records releases from John Taylor, Howard Riley and Mike Osborne. Claimed to be licensed from Turtle/Cherry Red, who issued a very nice legitimate CD box set of these three about five years ago.

Yes I had seen all these Eargong reissues at Honest Jon's and I was wondering if anyone had any information about provenance and sound quality?

Yes I had seen all these Eargong reissues at Honest Jon's and I was wondering if anyone had any information about provenance and sound quality?

Only that Eargong are claiming licensing from Turtle/Cherry Red. I can confirm the CD box set was sanctioned by Peter Eden of Turtle and overseen by Cherry Red, so hopefully Eargong’s claims are legitimate. However, there is no mention from Eargong of AAA mastering from tape or 24 bit files, so the provenance might be 16 bit CD quality cut to vinyl. Neither do I know where the LPs are pressed; as they are cheapish, I wouldn’t expect Pallas or Optimal.

Maybe more info will become available. I’m happy with the CD box set and one first press Turtle LP.

Nubya Garcia and her band are flying on the new Radio 6 festival set now on iPlayer. I'd love to hear the band do a trio set, they really listen to each other.
There is also a set from Poppy Ajudha but I haven't watched it yet.

advertisement

Back