advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

Hi Hockman sadly it’s not an original but reissue.

Deep Dark Blue Centre was supposed to be reissued on vinyl by Decca/Universal in 2020, alongside a few other classic titles. Did it happen? Or is your copy an earlier reissue?

I can't find any further reference to it, but I do hope that it's still on the cards in the future.

I would buy that Namyslowki in a heartbeat. In fact might have a mini project on getting to grips with some Polish jazz next year

Just found this Joe Armon-Jones gig at the Boiler Room. Wonderfully funky soul-jazz stuff and as ever from the Boiler Room beautifully recorded, they really do know their stuff! Nubya Garcia stunning on sax as ever. She’s got such a great tone, instantly recognisable.

I would buy that Namyslowki in a heartbeat. In fact might have a mini project on getting to grips with some Polish jazz next year

Agreed. Listened to a couple of Namyslowki titles on Qobuz, glad you brought it to my attention. Interesting to compare his early/mid 60s material with mid 70s. Great structures and playing in both instances, although I can hear an avant/rock style creep in by ‘75 (I’m thinking Zappa, Henry Cow, Univers Zero). Hope Lola eventually surfaces.

Yes, I ordered the CD of that last year. It sounds quite nice, with some great performances. I got the CD as opposed to the vinyl because of the extra track.

I’d like to hear what they’ve made of the Mike Taylor piece that was written for them, I’m assuming it is on the LP and not just the CD. Looks like mid Feb for the vinyl.

I assume you mean 'Black and White Raga' itself? It's the last track on the link you sent. Yes,it's also on the LP.

If it appears in the UK It's probably worth taking a punt on this, but as the source is unclear it maybe a needle drop? The 2006 pressings are not too expensive so maybe a better bet?

Edit: Just checked those are CD only it seems there is no vinyl? So could be the mastertape or a digital file?

advertisement

Back