advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

No idea if it's been mentioned, but having been blown away last month seeing Denys Baptiste live in a small room with other world-class musicians, I'll be looking for his Late Trane CD, after streaming the album too much. Got very lucky with my first ever jazz gig chosen fairly at random considering I can never find modern jazz that I like.

I didn't see any mention of him, but I would like some Graham Collier from the master tape reissues. Particularly Deep Dark Blue and Song For My Father :).

Collier’s Deep Dark Blue Centre was mentioned when news of this series was first mentioned about a year ago (possibly a previous post in this thread). It’s certainly one of the titles I’m looking forward most if it does get a decent reissue.

Journeys in Modern Jazz compilation is available on Qobuz today. I listened as background and there’s some great material, nicely sequenced. I’m not a fan of compilations, but this one works well. One or two pieces I’m not familiar with, such as Brew by Collin Bates, so let’s hope they dig deep with the series. File next to Jazz Explosion and Impressed.

I see Spacewalk is out too, not sure about the other two.

Journeys in Modern Jazz compilation is available on Qobuz today. I listened as background and there’s some great material, nicely sequenced. I’m not a fan of compilations, but this one works well. One or two pieces I’m not familiar with, such as Brew by Collin Bates, so let’s hope they dig deep with the series. File next to Jazz Explosion and Impressed.

I see Spacewalk is out too, not sure about the other two.
I picked both albums up yesterday - looking forward to giving them a spin today

I picked both albums up yesterday - looking forward to giving them a spin today

Look forward to your report. Compilation on vinyl should be here early next week, and I’m dithering on Spacewalk. I’ve dismissed this one in the past, but listening last night on Qobuz it really gelled.

Another piece on the compilation that lit up my evening was Skidders’ Old San Juan from Once Upon a Time - such expressive playing. I have it on Cd but an LP would be nice.

Where’s Jim/Poco? Hope he’s OK.

Look forward to your report. Compilation on vinyl should be here early next week, and I’m dithering on Spacewalk. I’ve dismissed this one in the past, but listening last night on Qobuz it really gelled.

Finally had a chance to play Space Walk. Super, quiet pressing - sounds really dynamic but, for me personally, I can't say that it blew me away. Will need to give it more time.

Journeys in Modern Jazz 2LP set. Again excellent, quiet pressing. Stand out for me is Side 4 - Dick Morrissey, Mike Taylor & Michael Gibbs - 3 awesome tracks. I think the fact they are mastering and cutting these reissues at Gearbox might have something to do with the excellent sound quality.

Last edited:
Finally had a chance to play Space Walk. Super, quiet pressing - sounds really dynamic but, for me personally, I can't say that it blew me away. Will need to give it more time.

I’ve ordered Spacewalk after a couple of listens on Qobuz. In the past I felt the same way about is as you, but I think it’s a grower. I particularly like the interplay between saxes and sax and vibes.

Good to know they are good pressings. Expecting mine Tuesday.

Emma Jean Thackray’s Yellow landed today (yellow vinyl limited edition, RT may still have some if you act fast, though my link is to Amazon as I have to make a living!). It’s really good on first listen. Chilled ‘70s soul-jazz grooves, but with something very now about it too, as is so much of the modern London jazz scene. I find it interesting that during a global pandemic and all the restrictions death and poverty it brings folk are looking back to far more chilled-out times; there is a strong hint of George Duke, CTI, early electric Herbie Hancock, even In A Silent Way or a more gentle Bitches Brew Miles here. Her voice is growing on me, it fits way better through the big Tannoys than when I was listening to clips through tinny little iPad speakers. It is a very nice recording and a flat quiet pressing, it really sounds good here. Recommended!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I find it interesting that during a global pandemic and all the restrictions death and poverty it brings folk are looking back to far more chilled-out times; there is a strong hint of George Duke, CTI, early electric Herbie Hancock, even In A Silent Way or a more gentle Bitches Brew Miles here.

I think many younger generation musicians would agree with you. Have you watched these? Some very interesting observations. Start with Tamar Osborn, very smart and engaging:

https://ifmusic.co.uk/video/

advertisement

Back