advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

Just ordered Group Sounds 3 and 4.

Keeping my eye on a few others. I think the 1975 Ardley Rainbows mentioned could be the version recorded and broadcast by the BBC. If so I remember it being more interesting than the LP which I always thought to be a bit lacklustre. But memory can be treacherous.

I listened to ‘Blue Beginnings’ online when they had the whole thing streaming. I can’t get past the fact that the tape isn’t of great quality, but the performance is strong. I may let this one go, but I’m absolutely up for the Ardley.

I listened to ‘Blue Beginnings’ online when they had the whole thing streaming. I can’t get past the fact that the tape isn’t of great quality, but the performance is strong. I may let this one go, but I’m absolutely up for the Ardley.
Theo,
I expect you are right the Tape is from the Dave Green / Neil Ardley archive so possibly an Amatuer tape 3.25 iPS like the George Foster 'Live at the Union' tape. I did think while that was not great it was OK, but I was probably swayed by the Music?

Just ordered Group Sounds 3 and 4.

Keeping my eye on a few others. I think the 1975 Ardley Rainbows mentioned could be the version recorded and broadcast by the BBC. If so I remember it being more interesting than the LP which I always thought to be a bit lacklustre. But memory can be treacherous.

One of my favourite ever albums.

I thought the original vinyl was a bit dynamically limited (almost an hour long), but the recent Pure Pleasure version - spread over 2 LPs - is much better. The Dusk Fire CD is also pretty good. In fact, I'm going to play it now.

One of my favourite ever albums. I thought the original vinyl was a bit dynamically limited (almost an hour long), but the recent Pure Pleasure version - spread over 2 LPs - is much better.

I bought Kaleidoscope of Rainbows when it was first released, I think it won some kind of award at the time. But being nearly 30 mins a side would explain why I remember it sounding a bit flat. Haven’t heard it for a long time and I don’t own a copy any more, but would certainly be interested to hear the live version when it is released.

Intrigued by this release featuring Binker Golding along with players better known for free improvisation: Henry Kaiser, N.O. Moore, Olie Brice and Eddie Prévost.

https://differentnoises.home.blog/2021/01/14/2461/

Sadly no preview tracks that I can find.

That sounds really interesting, though sadly no vinyl and crazy expensive shipping on the CD (Bandcamp). Binker Golding is a real chameleon, he seems able to flip between disparate styles with comparative ease and has certainly done a fair bit of free stuff e.g. Ex Nihilo.

Binker Golding is a real chameleon, he seems able to flip between disparate styles with comparative ease and has certainly done a fair bit of free stuff e.g. Ex Nihilo.

He definitely seems to have his feet in a few different camps! I keep meaning to pick up this LP he made with Greg Foat.

P.S. Yes shipping costs are a problem - they have an LP I'd like to pre-order but not with £23 shipping!

I bought Kaleidoscope of Rainbows when it was first released, I think it won some kind of award at the time. But being nearly 30 mins a side would explain why I remember it sounding a bit flat. Haven’t heard it for a long time and I don’t own a copy any more, but would certainly be interested to hear the live version when it is released.

I have the Gull original and listening now. Agree that it’s a bit underwhelming.

This Florian Arbenz & Greg Osby drums & sax duo Reflections Of The Eternal Line is really good. Florian is a member of the Ken Micallef’s Facebook Jazz vinyl lovers group so I found out about it there and grabbed a signed copy. Fabulous recording quality too.

Trevor Barre's new book about The London Musician's Collective arrived in the post this morning. I thought it may be of interest to the PFM members who enjoy this kind of thing. Once I adjusted to his writing style I found his first book 'Beyond Jazz: Plink, Plonk and Scratch' invaluable.

http://improvmusic.co.uk/

a0598959968_10.jpg

Arrived today. Must say very enjoyable.

advertisement

Back