advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you read on pfm is not representative of the UK, there are many millions of people who support Labour.

The chance for PR was in 2010 but I don’t expect you to know that.

I do know about it but Labour were in power long enough in Blairs time to push it through. The Tories were never going to push it. Why would they. We get all the UK channels over here so a lot of Irish people are well up to speed with UK politics believe it or not.

I do know about it but Labour were in power long enough in Blairs time to push it through. The Tories were never going to push it. Why would they. We get all the UK channels over here so a lot of Irish people are well up to speed with UK politics believe it or not.
It can’t be just pushed through, it is too big a change. It requires a referendum.

I suppose posting what you want to believe is less challenging than actually reading my posts.

Your post was fairly brief and don't worry I read it. But my answer reflected you picking a couple of PR states and giving the impression PR was a problem also ( or possibly so). Stephen spelt it out and I don't think you rushed back in to agree or disagree. But there you go that's internet forums for you :)

It can’t be just pushed through, it is too big a change. It requires a referendum.

I know but is it not fairly obvious my point is that Blair had the opportunity and the terms in government to prepare the ground work and have the a referendum. Of course I understand it might still fail. But my reading of it is Labour felt threatened by it, and also are probably happy enough with the current odds when contesting an election.

I know but is it not fairly obvious my point is that Blair had the opportunity and the terms in government to prepare the ground work and have the a referendum. Of course I understand it might still fail. But my reading of it is Labour felt threatened by it, and also are probably happy enough with the current odds when contesting an election.
There is little reason for Labour to support PR. Is there something that makes you think they did during the Blair govt, or some reason you think they should have done? The reason the chance was there in 2010 was the leverage of a coalition. I see no reason why tories or Labour would push for PR.

What you read on pfm is not representative of the UK, there are many millions of people who support Labour.

The chance for PR was in 2010 but I don’t expect you to know that.
That is an understatement, normally an actual result is the opposite to pfm consensus.

There is little reason for Labour to support PR.

It may well be their only option of being anywhere near power. They have clearly lost Scotland. That block vote is long gone. They have also lost many of the right of their party to the Tories and whatever rose-tinted nationalist shit Farage burps up next election, plus they’ve lost many on the left to the Greens and Lib Dems thanks to consistently voting for right-wing authoritarianism, hard Tory Brexit bullcrap etc. They just aren’t in a position to win a majority these days. The market has changed and they are just floundering around with nothing to sell.

Redwood is demanding to know why supermarkets aren’t selling shellfish that Europe no longer buys, to the great British housewife-

iAOeTlm.jpg

I know a fair few people in that situation. Neither the Conservatives nor Labour have ever given even the slightest shit about small business, of which music of this nature is. Basically if you are a muso the covid lockdown lasts forever as Brexit has imprisoned you in Little England.

PS Scanner is great!

Los ingleses estan muy locos.

8pxjzw8oygmo.png

Is this proof that expensive cables really do make a difference?

When the UK’s FPTP electoral system was devised, there were only two parties, and universal suffrage was still a generation or two away. It might have been fit for purpose then (if your purpose was preserving the existing hegemony) but it’s inherently unfair if you have three parties of any size, and hopeless in a multi-party state. The population is much more diverse now, with correspondingly diverse needs and wants.

It’s ridiculous to assume these needs and wants can be covered by two main parties. So we need a system that allows minority interests to have a say and make a difference. Anything less than some form of PR really isn’t democracy in the modern world.

I see Boris is investing in Livingston, West Lothian. At a cost of 96 million Euros (that's almost half of one net weekly red bus subsidy). Boris has invested in Valneva, a Franco-Austrian startup that has developed its vaccine at its headquarters in France. Their chief exec said several governments had been offered the opportunity but the UK responded fastest. The agreement is to supply 60 million doses to the UK from the West Lothian plant by October this year. France will only get the vaccine next year.
Marine said 'We are above all paying for the abandonment of our sovereignty in favour of other emerging powers in globalisation'.

Your post was fairly brief and don't worry I read it. But my answer reflected you picking a couple of PR states and giving the impression PR was a problem also ( or possibly so). Stephen spelt it out and I don't think you rushed back in to agree or disagree. But there you go that's internet forums for you :)
My apologies, I meant to quote stevec67s preceding post. That's fat fingers for you. :rolleyes:

Quite interesting that, according to How to vaccinate the world (essential listening IMHO), the EU approached the vaccine production in its normal way, tendering and using it's economic clout to lower costs while the UK just basically bought everything they could get their hands on whatever the price and no tenders required.

Which is basically what the Johnson's Government do. Seems to have worked in this case.

Also interestingly after all the complaining and jeering from Brexiteers about the EU threatening export controls on vaccines, the UK has been doing just that on PPE from the start of the pandemic.

Stephen

Meanwhile frog faced fascist seeks trousering opportunities from the cash of the worried faithful. Nigel proposes helping you by helping himself,

MX4dY82.jpg

any satisfied users wishing to share?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back