advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s actually cultivated. As one journalist observed- he even took time to mess his hair up before coming to the lectern to announce the latest death toll. There’s something of Savile about him- in the drawing of attention through bizarre appearance, the inappropriate appellation for a Prime Minister: not Johnson or Boris Johnson but ‘Boris’.

Then there’s the behaviour: the compulsive lying, fleeing the marital home for his mistress’s flat and the drunken shouting, the Easy Jet flight in only the clothes he stood up in to an ex-KGB officer’s bunga bunga party in Italy when he was Her Majesty’s Secretary of State for Foreign and Comminwealth Affairs. The FCO Permanent Secretary virtually having to evict him from Carlton Gardens, the lavish gifts of public money to an American pole dancer. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

cKukA6q.jpg

“The passenger, who asked to remain anonymous, said he was standing in the queue to go through security when he realised the scruffy man “shuffling along” in front of him was Johnson, who was clutching a thick book about war strategy”.

“It was a surprise to see him. There was nobody with him and he didn’t appear to have any luggage,” said the source. “He was such a mess. He was quite dishevelled and his trousers were twisted and creased. He looked like he had slept in his clothes.”

Johnson was recognised by other British and Italian travellers, some of whom asked for selfies, before he retreated into a corner of the departure lounge to snooze.

The UK’s most senior diplomat was later overheard telling another passenger that he had had “a heavy night” and that he had been visiting friends”.
I wonder if those that took that picture and selfies ended up voting for him?

Of course they did!

Job done.

I wonder if those that took that picture and selfies ended up voting for him?

Of course they did!

Job done.
“Boris is a character and we need more of them in politics” ( some Tory backbencher who’s name escapes me, currying favour).

It’s actually cultivated. As one journalist observed- he even took time to mess his hair up before coming to the lectern to announce the latest death toll. There’s something of Savile about him- in the drawing of attention through bizarre appearance, the inappropriate appellation for a Prime Minister: not Johnson or Boris Johnson but ‘Boris’.

Then there’s the behaviour: the compulsive lying, fleeing the marital home for his mistress’s flat and the drunken shouting, the Easy Jet flight in only the clothes he stood up in to an ex-KGB officer’s bunga bunga party in Italy when he was Her Majesty’s Secretary of State for Foreign and Comminwealth Affairs. The FCO Permanent Secretary virtually having to evict him from Carlton Gardens, the lavish gifts of public money to an American pole dancer. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

cKukA6q.jpg

“The passenger, who asked to remain anonymous, said he was standing in the queue to go through security when he realised the scruffy man “shuffling along” in front of him was Johnson, who was clutching a thick book about war strategy”.

“It was a surprise to see him. There was nobody with him and he didn’t appear to have any luggage,” said the source. “He was such a mess. He was quite dishevelled and his trousers were twisted and creased. He looked like he had slept in his clothes.”

Johnson was recognised by other British and Italian travellers, some of whom asked for selfies, before he retreated into a corner of the departure lounge to snooze.

The UK’s most senior diplomat was later overheard telling another passenger that he had had “a heavy night” and that he had been visiting friends”.
The public don't appear to share your concerns and this is from the rejoiner rag of choice so it must be correct.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ut-pushes-tories-ahead-of-labour-in-the-polls

There isn't much competition, to be fair. (From a non-Tory voter.)

Labour in the UK appear to have moved themselves into a state of irrelevance. Pandemic doesn't help as it makes it difficult to score points which seems to be the most important tactic required for success. It isn't something that has happened overnight.
They missed their chance to change the system to PR in Blairs time. That would have been the far reaching thing to do.

I thought the interviews on Newsnight about Norn Iron were quite interesting. IAN PAISLEY WAS BANGING ON ABOUT THE UK AND EU TRAMPLING ALL OVER HIS PROVINCE. All the UK could put forward was Tory John Penrose (no chance of a minister), but Eamon Ryan was coming across very reasonably. I miss that kind of consensus politics the (southern) Irish seem to have?

Ah, but is that what you would get? I'm sure the Belgians and Italians didn't plan it that way.

We'd get a stable social democratic country with no Tory hegemony.

Belgium isn't a great comparison as it has its own internal cultural problems. We are nothing like Italy.

The advantage of PR is that extremists on both sides of the political divide would have the proportional representation in parliament they do not have now.

When these representatives get into parliament, they the need to compromise to have any power in any coalition.

PR requires compromise and can lead to the long term decision making we do not have in the UK with our 4 year political cycles. It's also harder to head towards authoritarianism—which appears to be the UK's trajectory now.

Stephen

I thought the interviews on Newsnight about Norn Iron were quite interesting. IAN PAISLEY WAS BANGING ON ABOUT THE UK AND EU TRAMPLING ALL OVER HIS PROVINCE. All the UK could put forward was Tory John Penrose (no chance of a minister), but Eamon Ryan was coming across very reasonably. I miss that kind of consensus politics the (southern) Irish seem to have?
You’d think Mr. Paisley had no agency in the decision to depart the EU. In respect of Johnson’s Tory Party he must have been aware of the old saying, lie down with dogs and get up with fleas.

Challenged over his refusal to close borders yesterday in PMQs, Johnson was quick to reject the idea, explaining that it was essential to keep them open as 75% of our medicine and 45% of our food comes from Europe.

Labour in the UK appear to have moved themselves into a state of irrelevance. Pandemic doesn't help as it makes it difficult to score points which seems to be the most important tactic required for success. It isn't something that has happened overnight.
They missed their chance to change the system to PR in Blairs time. That would have been the far reaching thing to do.

What you read on pfm is not representative of the UK, there are many millions of people who support Labour.

The chance for PR was in 2010 but I don’t expect you to know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back