advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the news that vaccine supply is tight, the Brexiters are revving up for a vaccine war with the EU.

Better get those Spitfires out of retirement.

For those that said our EU contributions were excessive and poorly spent...compare and contrast.

Eso2taLXMAEk41_
If each red bus represents a £350 million contribution, then there would be a row of buses 5.6 miles long.

Better get those Spitfires out of retirement.

Don't forget the last Vulcan - forget about re-certification, thats for burocrats. I'm sure it still can drop a single bomb on Place Schuman in Brussels.

We will find some steamboats and sail up the River Thames and give the isle back to the dogs again.

Hmm. We might end up on the Medway ...

:D Monsieur Hancock with his hot out of the blocks world beating announcement. Meanwhile back at the ranch. https://www.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-g...y-on-over-65s-completely-incorrect/a-56341198 Is this the reason or as posted by @lagavullin10y is it down to the UK taking the initial batches?

You are inclined to dump and run for cover when the facts come out.:p

Not facts though are they. Odd then that the EU remain so keen on getting their hands on the AZ vaccine they’ve not yet approved. It’s unchartered waters but I’ll put my faith in Oxford Uni and AZ thanks! I suppose I could just agree with everyone that we’re all doomed but that’s a bit dull and depressing!

The government have relied on the experts to decide what vaccine to buy, and how much.
Previously the government were derided for not listening to the experts enough.

Make your mind up. What should they do?
It just seems like any opportunity to have a dig at Boris time.

Not facts though are they. Odd then that the EU remain so keen on getting their hands on the AZ vaccine they’ve not yet approved. It’s unchartered waters but I’ll put my faith in Oxford Uni and AZ thanks! I suppose I could just agree with everyone that we’re all doomed but that’s a bit dull and depressing!

Most well-off countries were pre-ordering the vaccines even before they were commercially available. I can see a bit of logic in that approach.

Most well-off countries were pre-ordering the vaccines even before they were commercially available. I can see a bit of logic in that approach.

Of course, there was always going to be shenanigans over vaccine supplies. Luckily, AZ is a UK company and also manufacture the vaccine in the UK, should the EU start being difficult.

Not sure I mentioned anything about being doomed you might revisit that. (Making my point again really about answering and talking about something that was never discussed).

Read this article and come back to me if you wish. Happy to discuss it on the facts. The point I tried to make is the issue with over 65's might be the reason for the delayed approval. Nevertheless the EU placed their orders for the vaccine. It is the company that has messed up in not fulfilling the order. Please correct me if I have misinterpreted the reports.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...kes-a-right-mess-of-vaccine-success-1.4467583

Of course, there was always going to be shenanigans over vaccine supplies. Luckily, AZ is a UK company and also manufacture the vaccine in the UK, should the EU start being difficult.

I think it is always best to dig deep before making assumptions. Sky are reporting it is a problem at a plant in Belgium. Really you are posting as the Tory boys make sweeping statements in parliament. If the plant is in Belgium what has the fact it is a UK company got to do with it? AFAIK it is a UK/Swedish company but sure when you are British and a Tory you project that you own everything?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...ne-supply-unacceptable-says-official-12198785

That is for sure dull and depressing. But please, understand that at the other side of the sea are reasonable people too, very well capable of having a good life.

Remember that the UK vaccinations started with German developed, Belgian produced vaccinations.

The EU has always had a significant stake in the Ox/AZ vaccine and even funded it.

I'm not sure why the EU has delayed the approval of the AZ virus. Any ideas?
The amount of field data coming back should be far in advance of the trial data, as to safety or efficacy.

Not sure I mentioned anything about being doomed you might revisit that. (Making my point again really about answering and talking about something that was never discussed).

Read this article and come back to me if you wish. Happy to discuss it on the facts. The point I tried to make is the issue with over 65's might be the reason for the delayed approval. Nevertheless the EU placed their orders for the vaccine. It is the company that has messed up in not fulfilling the order. Please correct me if I have misinterpreted the reports.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...kes-a-right-mess-of-vaccine-success-1.4467583

Apologies, not pointed at you specifically, just the general tone of doom and gloom. Well, AZ is a company, not the UK govt. It was never going to be 100% plain sailing. I think they’re big and ugly enough to fix the problems and hope they do.

The plant is in Belgium but they also manufacture the vaccine in the UK, should the EU try to block exports from Belgium etc which is being hinted. Yes, AZ is UK / Swedish. It’s listed on the LSE. Oh look, all this AZ negativity over the last few days has really impacted the share price!

If each red bus represents a £350 million contribution, then there would be a row of buses 5.6 miles long.
...and brexit has cost already more than all our EU contributions ever IIRC.

Just out of interest how long would the row of buses be that added up to our financial benefit from being in the EU? 560 miles? 5600 miles?

Apologies, not pointed at you specifically, just the general tone of doom and gloom. Well, AZ is a company, not the UK govt. It was never going to be 100% plain sailing. I think they’re big and ugly enough to fix the problems and hope they do.

The plant is in Belgium but they also manufacture the vaccine in the UK, should the EU try to block exports from Belgium etc which is being hinted. Yes, AZ is UK / Swedish. It’s listed on the LSE. Oh look, all this AZ negativity over the last few days has really impacted the share price!

Thanks but no need to apologize Ponty. Reading between the lines the EU paid up in advance for production which helped the company manufacture the vaccine. It looks like AZ messed up by sending initial vaccines to the UK on the assumption they would make up the requirement but production problems have meant they are now struggling to meet demand. The conundrum now is the UK need the 2nd round of doses for the people already vaccinated. I would expect that @richardg will be disappointed to find out that in the long term the vaccine numbers will equalize and possibly be more skewed towards EU countries.

On this thread I feel Brexiteers are clutching at any straw to suggest that they have found a Brexit positive. It generally ends up in failure and we continue to wait for that magical positive. :)

Yes no doubt JRM might be in on the back of a temporary drop in share price in AZ!

I'm not sure why the EU has delayed the approval of the AZ virus. Any ideas?
The amount of field data coming back should be far in advance of the trial data, as to safety or efficacy.

It must be a legal question. There are 27 countries having an opinion and the EU seems to be very consensus driven which makes it slow. This is a disadvantage, but in the end it might bring us together since people cooperate.

It is not the case that this approval should delay vaccinations since it is mostly logistics what matters and preparations for that are done.

What gives us continentals hard feelings is that the first batches of Pfizer went to the UK, whilst the UK government kept bashing the EU and praising its own procedures (mind you, a German designed vaccine, produced in Belgium). Nobody complained about it. We saw politicians twisting in all directions not to put the finger to the UK, but explaining us all kind of reasons why it did not matter that the UK was moving so fast - we had a different strategy et cetera et cetera.

Now it is our turn, AZ cuts down the EU deliveries. Investments done by the EU (apparently 300 million) does not seem to matter.

Personally, I have been hurt deeply by Brexit. This Vaccine row will be much more harmful on the continent. Brexit is acceptable since it is the own sovereign decision to move in that direction. But taking the vaccines reminds me of the Bengal famine. It is not just about the UK, but it affects us on an emotional level. It is seen here and won't go away easily.

I have been making jokes about it, but if the nationalists take the lead in coming elections this might indeed end up in war.

Any moment now, Farage will pop up with his nicotine stained teeth crying “hands off our British vaccine!” He won’t be taking any of that German Pfizer BioNTec one, besides Turkish hands might have touched it. Gerard Rug-Batten, that other notable guard dog of Brexit won’t be taking any- he’s already told Boris “he can stick his vaccine up his arse” on Twitter. That’s a spare dose going for someone- now there’s a benefit of Brexit.

For those that said our EU contributions were excessive and poorly spent...compare and contrast.

Eso2taLXMAEk41_
This looks like a hard remainer appeal to fellow travellers. Can you link to what was actually said and also where you scraped this?

As an aside, I’m not sure who on pfm has said the contributions were excessive, but outside of the insulated world of pfm members, it could be said it was predictable that after 6 years of unnecessary tory austerity, spending billions of £££ anywhere else while slashing services and attacking welfare payments wasn’t going to look great to quite a lot of people scratching around having to decide whether to go cold or eat. I guess in that context the contributions were excessive.

Edit: Toned it down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back