advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I am doing my bit from now on by not buying from the UK sites unless I have to! So the Irish exchequer won't do that well. Also I think the fees are due to the fact that the UK left the EU....without doing that none of this would have happened!

This is from the Irish tax site (www.revenue.ie) for personal purchases from outside the EU...... as I said, terrible for UK businesses trying to serve EU customers for personal transactions. You can see even the small purchase of a doll for my daughter went above the €22 limit!

Buying goods from outside the European Union (EU) including the UK
If you buy goods for personal use from outside the European Union (EU), you may have to pay:

• Customs Duty
  • Excise Duty
  • Anti-Dumping Duty
  • Countervailing Duty
  • Value-Added Tax (VAT).
Note

From 1 January The United Kingdom (UK) is no longer a member of the European Union (EU). If you buy goods from the UK (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1 January you may incur charges that are outlined in this page.

If your goods have:

• a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of €22 or less you will not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT
  • a customs value of more than €22 you will have to pay VAT
  • an intrinsic value (the value of the goods alone excluding transport, insurance and handling charges) of more than €150 you will have to pay Customs Duty.
These limits are for the whole delivery, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.
This trade war will not end well.

This thread asks for a positive effect of Brexit, finally there is a tangible and immediate one.

I assume that about three quarters of pfm members have already had their first jab.

This thread asks for a positive effect of Brexit, finally there is a tangible and immediate one.

I assume that about three quarters of pfm members have already had their first jab.

Possibly an overestimate..but I get your point.
However..if it wasn't for idiot Brexiteers we wouldn't have the current shitshow of a Govt. and our death toll would not be nearly as high

I used to buy a lot from UK shops online.

Positive effect: from now on I'll have to buy from elsewhere, or possibly not buy at all.

Good for my bank account.

It will be Christmas every day for greedy importers.

For those that said our EU contributions were excessive and poorly spent...compare and contrast.

Eso2taLXMAEk41_

However..if it wasn't for idiot Brexiteers we wouldn't have the current shitshow of a Govt. and our death toll would not be nearly as high
I respectfully disagree, Col. If it wasn’t for tory voters/enablers scraping around for any excuse to take seats from Labour, we would not have brexit. The tory govt and austerity happened well before brexit and brexiteers even existed.

We could conclude this discussion when covid is over. The death rates in uk are likely to come to a stand still very soon while they continue in EU member states for most of the year.

Update: It appears that Astrazeneca might have sent vaccines purchased by the EU to some other destination. The EU have asked the company to account for deliveries. Guessing here but maybe there is a suspicion that somebody offered lots of money to divert production. Time will tell if there is any truth in this story.

Yes time will tell. My feeling tells me that the EU will restrict export of EU produced vaccines by law and that the UK then redirects the production from India to the UK.

I keep watching the news.

Nothing to do with the UK drug approval process and those members who decided to be part of the EU process had that individual choice too. Where were you when the UK was struggling to obtain quality PPE partly as a result of turning down offers to be part of EU procurement? The result was UK medical and care home staff unnecessarily short of equipment due to Gov Brexiteer showboating and pathetically claiming they "didn't get the email".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...medical-equipment-brexit-latest-a9428401.html

We could conclude this discussion when covid is over. The death rates in uk are likely to come to a stand still very soon while they continue in EU member states for most of the year.
Maybe so, we shall see, but that missed the point. Our deaths are a consequence of mismanagement, possibly even policy, and have already occurred.

Those people are not coming back and I imagine would have welcomed another year or two of life, which their counterparts in some parts of Europe will have enjoyed, if that's the way you want to see it.

Our uniquely bad handling of the pandemic until now has also been economically disastrous as we try to walk the line between deaths and money.

More successful countries have taken more care of the former and in so doing have fared better with the latter.

The EU hasn’t even approved the AZ vaccine yet! Thank God we opted out of the EU vaccine agency (widely criticised at the time).

The EU hasn’t even approved the AZ vaccine yet! Thank God we opted out of the EU vaccine agency (widely criticised at the time).

That is very narrow minded of you, but that is normal for people who think only serially. It is a parallel process. Vaccines are on order, approval is being done and logistics are prepared.

Now, where are our vaccines?

Has the UK taken them all?

How does this help the UK's position in the future?

They have approved more vaccines and we are talking weeks when these things have traditionally taken years, nice to see you taking pleasure from such things. I don't remember you being so disapproving of the UK's appalling handling of everything else, but hey, let's hope the vaccine single dose gamble pays off and have a tot up when second doses are safely applied.

:D Monsieur Hancock with his hot out of the blocks world beating announcement. Meanwhile back at the ranch. https://www.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-g...y-on-over-65s-completely-incorrect/a-56341198 Is this the reason or as posted by @lagavullin10y is it down to the UK taking the initial batches?

You are inclined to dump and run for cover when the facts come out.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back