• I am optimistic- I think that the UK and EU wll manage a working agreement

Votes: 44 40.0%
  • I am pessimistic - I don't see any EU or UK willingness to make a deal

Votes: 66 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the factories the hourly paid staff are about 50% non British.

Interesting post. I recall working there in the 90s and feeling it was like the 1950s. It was there I got a call to go to Chelyabinsk in Russia. The ensuing culture shock was interesting but not too overwhelming after Boston.
I've also worked in Germany and visited the factories where immigrant labour is used.
It is quite different there.
Boston was like the 50s pre 2000. Saturday night was 10 pints, a band at the Axe and either a fight with a cabbage picker or a shag with his sister. it's more modern now, even if the principal change is that the carrot picker is Romanian. How is Germany different? They have had gastarbeiter since the 50s, and plenty of brits on building sites in the 80s with 3M unemployed.

In what way is it different?
I don't wish to get embroiled in polemic view points here, as what I saw thirty or so years ago, is what I form my opinions on, but the German people seemed to be wealthy, not so their factory workers.
Just a thought about that country-
They have only one black mp in their parliament.

I don't wish to get embroiled in polemic view points here, as what I saw thirty or so years ago, is what I form my opinions on, but the German people seemed to be wealthy, not so their factory workers.

Nothing wrong about reporting your impressions.
I felt the same about England when I moved here, I had higher expectations for a country 10x richer than the one I was coming from. I was surprised by the social divide, shocked by the neglected state of public services and infrastructure, appalled by FPTP and the failure of Government checks and balances system. I wasn’t surprised when Leave won.

Priti Patel for PM, anyone ? Might just be slightly perferable to Gove.

Sunak ? Raab ? Dust off IDS ?

What about a nice bright doctor with Brexit experience, who'd be perfect to manage the two-pronged crisis facing this country.

Oh, God ! Don't depress me !

PS I notice the poll stats at the top are heading increasingly towards a lovely 48% - 52% split !
Gove will believe the job is his by right. He’ll blow off the likes of Raab very easily, Sunak will be a harder nut to crack but I’m guessing virulent anti-Europeanism will swing it fin favour of the aging coke-head. Also Sunak probably looks far too One Nation/ free handouts for their liking.

Gove will believe the job is his by right. He’ll blow off the likes of Raab very easily, Sunak will be a harder nut to crack but I’m guessing virulent anti-Europeanism will swing it fin favour of the aging coke-head. Also Sunak probably looks far too One Nation/ free handouts for their liking.

Given the current state of the Tory party, I'd say that Gove is exactly the right man for the job.

I suspect a Cummings ploy... Johnson is increasingly unpopular so let’s get people to think about who could take over... Gove, Patel, Raab... much relief in the Tory ranks when Johnson confirms he’s staying.

I agree, thanks.

It does not suggest, “Difficult at first’ means 50 years according to Rees Mogg.“
Do you agree?

Nor does it mean, “in 50 years (time)”, which is the usual interpretation placed on it by hard remainers.

Do you have a link to the actual interview where we can all hear his actual words and get the context? If not, this one needs to be put to bed. It is whinging for the sake of whinging.

I think that Grease Mopp means we’ll all be living off benefits in 50 years time...

It’s the Government rolling out its Fück Business policy.

maybe that’s because the UK invaded almost any country on this planet and Germany only European and a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back