Votes: 44 40.0%
  • I am pessimistic - I don't see any EU or UK willingness to make a deal

Votes: 66 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair question.

Put simply it's because I find it hard to believe that the majority of people in the UK are happy to trade off whatever has been achieved in terms of Sovereignty for what they now seem likely in the eyes of most reasonable observers to be facing in terms of losing jobs, and a short to medium term decline in the overall economic wellbeing of the country. Looking in from the outside, I can't get my head around why the majority of people buy in to such a proposition. That's why I've been convinced there had/has to be an economic upside.

People voting for war time conditions in peacetime with an imaginary enemy who weren't born in WW2 because Rule Brittania innit, damn Froggies Krauts ETC, I mean, I was listening to Nigel and Mark Francois the other day, They're absolutely right you know....

Meanwhile & more serious - I was tickled by this:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/18/lorry-drivers-heading-to-eu-face-ham-sandwich-ban

- that'll be the real cause of 'friction and delays' at Customs... now, imagine if only we could have a harmonised policy on such thi-

...no, wait a minute lads, I've got a great new idea...
131987042_3954549654590008_499501973218911146_n.jpg

Rees Mogg is a really nasty piece of work, I thought GRM skewered him nicely there. I’m still amazed so many Labour voters fell for the obvious BS and self-interest RM, Farage etc were selling.

Only twitter rumours but our great leader rumoured to be stepping down next month, hmm wonders?

I can comment on Boston, I spent 5 months living and working there summer last year. I also grew up 30 miles away in a similar town.
Boston received basically no funding. It was assumed that doctors and schools would soak up the extra. They didn't, not without consequence.
The price of housing has gone up dramatically. It's now more expensive to rent than in near by Nottingham and the BTL landlords are cashing in.
The place is full of Polski Sklep and Lithuanian Latvian shops. An enterprising Portuguese couple have opened 2 bars that feel like they really are in Portugal. There are dozens of Polish cafes. For me it felt like being on holiday.
In the factories the hourly paid staff a re about 50% non British. A lot of them are well educated. Some have learned good English. There is strong competition for supervisory jobs and anything better than basic line work, such as quality testing or engineering & maintenance.
What people feel, and with justification, is that they are being pushed out. Back in the 80s Boston was always a bit of a dump but it was OK. There was work, either on the farms or in the veg processing factories. There was cheap housing, either in the towns or when family came along bigger places with land out in the sticks. Kids went to school. It's got a decent hospital. Young lads could have a car or a bike, go to the Axe and Cleaver to see bands, days out in Skeg or Nottingham. Happy days. You weren't going to be rich but it didn't matter. Move on and that's changed. Doctors and schools are under huge pressure. E Euro kids get special lessons to learn English. They take some of the social housing. There are employment agencies where the ads in the windows are in polish and Romanian but not English. Housing costs a fortune. The shops have changed, voices in the street speak strange languages, it's like being a foreigner in your own country.

Now then, who wouldn't feel just a little bit angry and resentful? Do you want to do something about it? 75-80% said "bloody right I do!" and I understand why.

Thank you. An interesting post. As so often, it's not the European problem per se that is the issue, rather the way the British gov't implemented regulations and responded (or, rather, didn't) to the developping situations. Tight fisted Tories and neglected communities.

Only twitter rumours but our great leader rumoured to be stepping down next month, hmm wonders?

Priti Patel for PM, anyone ? Might just be slightly perferable to Gove.

Sunak ? Raab ? Dust off IDS ?

What about a nice bright doctor with Brexit experience, who'd be perfect to manage the two-pronged crisis facing this country.

Oh, God ! Don't depress me !

PS I notice the poll stats at the top are heading increasingly towards a lovely 48% - 52% split !

Now then, who wouldn't feel just a little bit angry and resentful? Do you want to do something about it? 75-80% said "bloody right I do!" and I understand why.

Change on this scale doesn't happen overnight. Those in power (Labour + Tory) had a dozen years to manage it smoothly before the Brexit vote.

They didn't invest any of the extra billions migrant workers bring in. No wonder people felt all the profit went in to the pockets of business owners.

Oh, correction. The government did invest in London. Tens of billions on things like CrossRail / CrossRail 2. Now...where is the government based? Hmm, coincidence perhaps.

It's really easy to blame individual voters for a one time decision they made at the ballot box in 2016.
It's misguided.

If things go pear, look to those who designed the referendum, and those who failed to implement successfully. That's not just the politicians. They spend an absolute fortune on consultants and advisers as well.

I’ve been elected with your mate Johnson?

:rolleyes:

By the way, I’m not banging a drum. If you lived in the UK you would have an understanding of the tory party and their ideas of austerity.
Insert 'they' in the right place and you are off the hook. Apologises for the confusion

In the factories the hourly paid staff are about 50% non British.
I can comment on Boston
Interesting post. I recall working there in the 90s and feeling it was like the 1950s. It was there I got a call to go to Chelyabinsk in Russia. The ensuing culture shock was interesting but not too overwhelming after Boston.
I've also worked in Germany and visited the factories where immigrant labour is used.
It is quite different there.

It’s a truly messy website as always, but I’m not seeing a link to an interview anywhere there. Where is it? I’ve gone through it twice and nothing looks like an interview via my iPad so nothing really to enjoy.

In any case, I’ve seen this text before, as I said to someone else. A comment such as, “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years”, means something entirely different to the hard remainer spin of, “it will take 50 years to see any benefit from brexit”.

I want to hear the interview for myself because I do not trust fanatics to be truthful and hard remainers are fanatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back