• I am optimistic- I think that the UK and EU wll manage a working agreement

Votes: 44 40.0%
  • I am pessimistic - I don't see any EU or UK willingness to make a deal

Votes: 66 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell you something, the Carry On team would have made a better job of it.
The Prime Minister- Bernard Breslaw
Foreign Secretary- Jim Dale
Trade Secretary- Barbara Windsor
Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster- Charles Hawtrey
Lord Frost- Franky Howard

Carry On Down The Khazi...

I agree that we must all try to stop insults about Brexit and move forward in the seasonal spirit of peace and good will to all men*. It's not worth it. Plus don't forget that those who voted Brexit are too stupid to understand any clever insults, so that makes it doubly not worth it.

Oh, and Brexit smells of p**s. No, I mean it really does https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy8...r-brexit-chaos-and-it-literally-reeks-of-piss

* Except Cabinet ministers

Courtesy of Nigel "Ammonia" Farage.

The only positive I can see is making Scottish independence a reality.

Careful, you’ll set him off on his Tory enablement feedback loop. Again.

space1999-34.jpg

They have no need to go bananas.
All those french boats with nowhere to go fishing.
They would never think to park those boats at the entrance to Calais, Dunkirk etc now, would they.
All those nice big ferries carrying stuff to the UK that are needed on a daily basis.

Of course, they’ll be harming additional French industries in doing so. Tres bon.

I *really* should have worried more about the French fishermen when I voted 4+ years ago.

Oh, wait....that's the EU's problem, not mine.

The EU has tossed hundreds of billions of Euros at covid, what's another few billion for a bunch of fishing boats. Meh.

I'd say that the current government have staked their reputation on the ability to deliver more deals; better deals; in the months and years ahead.

That sort of thing should be fairly measurable. If they don't achieve on that, then they will be ripped apart at the ballot box, and rightly so.

What? They delivered austerity for 10yrs.Brian has rightly banged that drum constantly yet still got elected with Bojo and with a massive majority.
I admire your thought process it is very optimistic though

Meanwhile the best prime minister the UK has ever produced continues to play a bit of strip poker. Nerves of steel and a steady hand to guide the ship through dark times. https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1218/1185177-brexit/

Ammonia could be a quick export win for Kent.
yep, just mine it from the festering bottles dropped along the M20 by lorry drivers.
Ah, no, sorry - that was Urea. Apols.
Anyway, another potential post-Brexit UK-export ...stream?

Meanwhile & more serious - I was tickled by this:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/18/lorry-drivers-heading-to-eu-face-ham-sandwich-ban

- that'll be the real cause of 'friction and delays' at Customs... now, imagine if only we could have a harmonised policy on such thi-

...no, wait a minute lads, I've got a great new idea...

What? They delivered austerity for 10yrs.Brian has rightly banged that drum constantly yet still got elected with Bojo and with a massive majority.
I admire your thought process it is very optimistic though
I’ve been elected with your mate Johnson?

Meanwhile the best prime minister the UK has ever produced continues to play a bit of strip poker. Nerves of steel and a steady hand to guide the ship through dark times. https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1218/1185177-brexit/

I’m not banging a drum. If you lived in the UK you would have an understanding of the tory party and their ideas of austerity.

Last edited:
Careful, you’ll set him off on his Tory enablement feedback loop. Again.

space1999-34.jpg
Nice photo.

I’m happy to oblige.

I find the wailing of the nationalists here quite amusing, it’s almost as though they think voting nationalist will remove the tories from UK govt. Maybe they don’t understand FPTP and a 2 party system and how their vote makes it more difficult to remove the tories from UK govt.

Shame about LibDem fanboys in 2010 too. Another bunch of whingers who gave the UK an almighty nudge down the path we’re currently on.

People can vote how they like, no problem with that, but they need to understand the ramifications and stop moaning about the outcome as though they had nothing to do with it.

Anyway, all the evidence I've seen suggests it is areas with relatively low levels of immigration that showed the strongest tendency to vote Leave.

It's possible that the rate of change of immigration is positively correlated with the % Leave vote (Boston, Lincs. is often cited as an example). The above article touches briefly on this but does not explore it further, and I haven't seen any other article that does.

Places like Boston had large levels of migration, but were not funded nearly so much, despite migrants bringing in a lot of money. It feels like migration done on the cheap.

People do notice these things. Post 2010, local authority budgets were heavily cut in many areas. Increasing numbers alongside cuts; it doesn't make things easier.

Source: https://fullfact.org/

From the beginning of the Syrian crisis in early 2011 to the first quarter of 2015, almost 4,200 Syrian refugees were granted asylum in the UK in the initial decision made on their application.

A further 100 people were allowed to stay in the UK through humanitarian protection or discretionary leave.

According to this BBC piece, the issue with Boston was not migration per se (more of they/them) but change (from village to more cosmopolitan town). Many English people dislike change, they're very conservative.

Boston is one of the most extreme examples in Britain of a town affected by recent EU immigration.
I can comment on Boston, I spent 5 months living and working there summer last year. I also grew up 30 miles away in a similar town.
Boston received basically no funding. It was assumed that doctors and schools would soak up the extra. They didn't, not without consequence.
The price of housing has gone up dramatically. It's now more expensive to rent than in near by Nottingham and the BTL landlords are cashing in.
The place is full of Polski Sklep and Lithuanian Latvian shops. An enterprising Portuguese couple have opened 2 bars that feel like they really are in Portugal. There are dozens of Polish cafes. For me it felt like being on holiday.
In the factories the hourly paid staff a re about 50% non British. A lot of them are well educated. Some have learned good English. There is strong competition for supervisory jobs and anything better than basic line work, such as quality testing or engineering & maintenance.
What people feel, and with justification, is that they are being pushed out. Back in the 80s Boston was always a bit of a dump but it was OK. There was work, either on the farms or in the veg processing factories. There was cheap housing, either in the towns or when family came along bigger places with land out in the sticks. Kids went to school. It's got a decent hospital. Young lads could have a car or a bike, go to the Axe and Cleaver to see bands, days out in Skeg or Nottingham. Happy days. You weren't going to be rich but it didn't matter. Move on and that's changed. Doctors and schools are under huge pressure. E Euro kids get special lessons to learn English. They take some of the social housing. There are employment agencies where the ads in the windows are in polish and Romanian but not English. Housing costs a fortune. The shops have changed, voices in the street speak strange languages, it's like being a foreigner in your own country.

Now then, who wouldn't feel just a little bit angry and resentful? Do you want to do something about it? 75-80% said "bloody right I do!" and I understand why.

Last edited:
yep, just mine it from the festering bottles dropped along the M20 by lorry drivers.
Ah, no, sorry - that was Urea. Apols.
Anyway, another potential post-Brexit UK-export ...stream?

Meanwhile & more serious - I was tickled by this:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/18/lorry-drivers-heading-to-eu-face-ham-sandwich-ban

- that'll be the real cause of 'friction and delays' at Customs... now, imagine if only we could have a harmonised policy on such thi-

...no, wait a minute lads, I've got a great new idea...

This will upset the Gammon.

Apparently, Yorkie bars are allowed though.

Stephen

They'll be out in the streets over this you see, the Ham Sandwich riots of late 2020 will be taught in schools for generations to come, well even have one day a year where we all put 50p in a donation box to buy a small ham sandwich to pin on our coats.

Lest we forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back