advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not follow your own advice?
I always do, I’m not a hypocrite. In this case, I wasn’t giving any advice.

Why not reply properly to ET? He took the trouble to reply to you despite the aggressive tone of your posts, or is it you have nothing that can challenge his points in reply?

Et, you always write as if the EU was an invading power and not a membership collective.

We can leave today if we accept the consequences. Nothing is holding Johnson back from walking away. Why doesn’t he if the border is not an issue? Are you saying he’s fronting a remainer Government? His party have a majority. Surely, the leave logic goes, that if we leave without a deal, the reality of it will make the EU give us everything we want.

The various backstops were developed to try and solve the problem of the GFA. It’s only leave supporters who can’t see that. Instead you see treachery.

How will a FTA deal with people being stopped at the border? Is the U.K. really going to wave everyone from the EU through without passport checks? I can’t see that sitting happily with the GFA.

I remember the troubles and was in two cities that were devastated by bombs. Leaver’s cavalier attitude to the peace in NI is very worrying.

Stephen

Ah, yes, a bunch of old IRA supporting US senators on one side, and the very deliberate long-game weaponisation of the Irish border and the GFA by Ireland and the EU on the other.

One solution us to leave the lot of them to get on with it. I thought none of us wanted a US trade deal anyway?
These claims of “weaponization” come from the good people who for years shamelessly instrumentalized:
- refugees from wars in the Middle East (wars the UK promoted, aided and abetted)
- Turkish accession talks (ditto)
- the rules of the EU single market (the one their predecessors promoted relentlessly)
- and anything else that could give them a hint of an advantage to advance their Brexit objectives.

These are the same lovely people who shortly after the referendum result had no problem:
- calling EU citizens working and living in the UK “bargaining chips”
- threatening to not pay their bills
- explaining the Irish would have to kowtow as so much of their physical trade flows are through the UK.
Yes, these people are utterly shameless. Fortunately, they are also weak on strategy and worse at implementation. So they make it up as they go, and fall into traps of their own making.

The Irish border is a clear example of not thinking things through properly. I remember writing here many years ago that the UK would have to pick two of the following three: access to the EU single market, a border down the Irish Sea, or bury the GFA. You told me not to be ridiculous, no British PM would... etc. The fault line was always there, but Brexiters dismissed it, or thought they could just bully the Irish when the time came. Their devotion to the hardest of Brexits and lack of discernable negotiating talent is such that they are likely to end up with only one of the three.

When your side uses a structural weakness of the other side, it’s called being “hard-nosed” and “pragmatic”. When the other side uses a structural flaw on your side to its advantage, it’s called “weaponization”. Better get used to the word.

Et, you always write as if the EU was an invading power and not a membership collective.

Are you saying he’s fronting a remainer Government? His party have a majority. Surely, the leave logic goes, that if we leave without a deal, the reality of it will make the EU give us everything we want.
Stephen

He is just playing model UN debating. Pick the ridiculous option and argue your head off for it. Think it is probably best not to engage it will spoil the fun. Patrick Kielty's twitter posts nail it nicely. I am hoping EV gives a classic word salad later after a bottle of decayed Beaujolais with his some times side kick Baldric muscling in with some snarling bits.

We can leave today if we accept the consequences. Nothing is holding Johnson back from walking away. Why doesn’t he if the border is not an issue? Are you saying he’s fronting a remainer Government? His party have a majority. Surely, the leave logic goes, that if we leave without a deal, the reality of it will make the EU give us everything we want.

The various backstops were developed to try and solve the problem of the GFA. It’s only leave supporters who can’t see that. Instead you see treachery.

How will a FTA deal with people being stopped at the border? Is the U.K. really going to wave everyone from the EU through without passport checks? I can’t see that sitting happily with the GFA.

I remember the troubles and was in two cities that were devastated by bombs. Leaver’s cavalier attitude to the peace in NI is very worrying.

Stephen
We have left the EU, but there will be no walking away because the EU and ourselves are broke and living on debt. Don't expect any agreement before December.

Reactions: PsB
Ex-civil servant living on gilt-edged Index-linked pension funded largely by the tax-payer complains about others living beyond their means. :rolleyes:

Ex-civil servant living on gilt-edged Index-linked pension funded largely by the tax-payer complains about others living beyond their means. :rolleyes:
Other than skills and qualifications, what is preventing you becoming a civil servant for the gilt-edged index-linked pension? :D

Age and self-respect. I don’t complain about governments spending money while living high on the hog off it.

Age and self-respect.
Nah, not convinced. If you have useful skills there is a chance.

Here is some info to help on the way to that gilt-edged pension. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/civil-service/about/recruitment
https://www.civil-service-careers.gov.uk/ways-to-join/

I don’t complain about governments spending money while living high on the hog off it.

As your mate would say, provide examples of this living high on the hog off it and this gilt-edged pension. It looks like you made it up for a bit of trolling.

Last edited:
It’s economic war with Germany in The Daily Express and the British Car Industry is set to win.....

Britain’s car industry will BEAT Germany’s in a WTO drag-race, writes JOHN LONGWORTH

“Ignore the scaremongering by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT).Much like the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) and other big business organisations they’re ridden with special interests and multi-national companies with their fingers in lots of European pies and often headquartered outside the UK”.

“In fact, the opposite is true. Yes, failure to strike a deal will create some disruption and change, but any economic impact will be disproportionately in favour of British manufacturers”.

“By contrast, any fall in demand for UK manufactured cars among EU consumers as a result of EU tariffs will be offset by the surge in demand at home. Rather than snapping up an over-priced Mercedes or BMW, British consumers could instead opt for a top of the range Bentley, Land Rover, or Jaguar”.

Them German motors are way too expensive- I’m buying a Bentley* this year, there’s going to be a surge in demand.

*a wholly owned subsidiary of....err... Volkswagen AG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back