advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep up, the land bridge and ROI direct ferries were discussed a while ago.
Yes, I saw discussion the possibility - likelihood - of a new route in ROI. It's what you mean by the land bridge you need to clarify. You, even gullible you, hasn't swallowed the johnsons crap about a bridge?

I thought that was an exclusively Scottish idiom! It’s why I kept laughing evertime I heard it used by Noel Keywood in his HFW reviews. When he described a component as a jobbie, I’d think ‘right that’s that one off the list’.
I think it was absorbed into the English vocabulary after Billy Connolly described the Jobbie Weecha. I always think of it when I have a need in the sky

Yes, I saw discussion the possibility - likelihood - of a new route in ROI. It's what you mean by the land bridge you need to clarify. You, even gullible you, hasn't swallowed the johnsons crap about a bridge?

A new route was launched by a Danish company (Rosslare to Dunkerque). Full on its first three days of sailings. I would expect once/if it becomes established that UK landbridge route through Dublin/Holyhead and onwards is a PITA this service will grow and widen. No ferry company is going to lash a pile of boats onto a route until demand is established. Up until the last minute the exact terms of a deal were unknown. Flawed logic believing removing the trucks from UK roads is going to aid the environment. Trucks will still run just on a different route.

A new route was launched by a Danish company (Rosslare to Dunkerque). Full on its first three days of sailings. I would expect once/if it becomes established that UK landbridge route through Dublin/Holyhead and onwards is a PITA this service will grow and widen. No ferry company is going to lash a pile of boats onto a route until demand is established. Up until the last minute the exact terms of a deal were unknown. Flawed logic believing removing the trucks from UK roads is going to aid the environment. Trucks will still run just on a different route.

Yup. The RoI Govt published a new set of road transport routing guidelines and info on planned/temporary lorry parking areas in anticipation of a growth of road haulage directly between 'the Mainland' (of Europe that is this time) and Ireland North and South. That's to cater for the rerouting of traffic that would previously have gone from the island through Britain to Europe - and also presumably to cater for the shift in trade to the EU of stuff that previously would have been bought from or sold to the UK.

Yup. The RoI Govt published a new set of road transport routing guidelines and info on planned/temporary lorry parking areas in anticipation of a growth of road haulage directly between 'the Mainland' (of Europe that is this time) and Ireland North and South. That's to cater for the rerouting of traffic that would previously have gone from the island through Britain to Europe - and also presumably to cater for the shift in trade to the EU of stuff that previously would have been bought from or sold to the UK.

Yes and the jury will remain out on how things develop over the next 5yrs but one could easily see how Irish trade might start migrating closer to Europe. As a friend put it very well recently, Brexit will ultimately break the link between Ireland and the UK. Of course if things work out or get easier that might change the dynamic but as somebody suggested here the EU will be setting out to thrive over the UK. And ditto for the UK. Somebody has to lose. The status quo meant everybody got a slice of the pie. The UK have turned their back on that. One assumes consequences from that choice.

Yes and the jury will remain out on how things develop over the next 5yrs but one could easily see how Irish trade might start migrating closer to Europe. As a friend put it very well recently, Brexit will ultimately break the link between Ireland and the UK. Of course if things work out or get easier that might change the dynamic but as somebody suggested here the EU will be setting out to thrive over the UK. And ditto for the UK. Somebody has to lose. The status quo meant everybody got a slice of the pie. The UK have turned their back on that. One assumes consequences from that choice.
The guiding principle repeated often by the EU, that Britain’s deal can never be as good as it previously enjoyed, will prevail. Any attempt by Britain to subsequently abuse tariff free access will see tariffs rapidly imposed. In Scotland we will certainly be watching with interest how Ireland rewires its trade with continental Europe.

The guiding principle repeated often by the EU, that Britain’s deal can never be as good as it previously enjoyed, will prevail. Any attempt by Britain to subsequently abuse tariff free access will see tariffs rapidly imposed. In Scotland we will certainly be watching with interest how Ireland rewires its trade with continental Europe.

Are you going to push BoJo for that bridge?

Diesel and tyre particles will be reduced.

We will find out over the coming years. Having said that we must not be complacent, there are rejoiners who would be more than willing to take us back into Euroland.
While the UK (or what's eventually left of it) may not end up as a full member of the EU again I confidently predict that current and future UK governments, whatever their political complexion, will spend the next several decade negotiating the UK back into many of those EU institutions and agreements not covered by the current EU/UK trade agreement. I would also bet money on the fact that the process has already started, though we won't be hearing much about it.

Still on about IndyRef2 Hugh. Absolutely no chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back