advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of which, has Farage found a new drum to beat yet? I've not been paying much attention.
Covid- it’s a Chinese conspiracy/ time to open up the economy/ there’s still brown people coming in, my god the Mayor of London is one!

Speaking of which, has Farage found a new drum to beat yet? I've not been paying much attention.

I think you'll find this is his new drum Matt, not massively different from the old one, Godwin's law? bestritten!

iu

Last edited:
why would you take financial advice from a f-wit?

Had you read the article linked to, it asks exactly the same question. For example, it points out that Farage is not a qualified or experienced financial advisor.

Also:

2 – These investments will lose you money
Launching the newsletter, Farage and Hubble talk about some incredibly high-risk, speculative investments.

They refer to the benefits of holding gold.

As a non-income producing asset, gold is arguably not an investment and certainly should not form more than a tiny percentage of a typical investment portfolio.

They also talk about why the Euro looks doomed.

The future of the Euro as a currency is far from certain, given the current sovereign and banking debt issues in the EU, but currency trading is another non-investment. It’s high-risk, speculative and a pretty good way to lose money.
Last but not least, they refer to the potential for cryptocurrencies.

The only potential cryptocurrencies have, from an investment perspective, is to lose you money.

Sorry, but I still don’t understand how leaving the EU has enhanced the import of the sort of skilled worker you’ve mentioned, in fact, if the poster up-thread with a STEM background who lives in the EU and now feels unwelcome in the UK is anything to go by, it has dampened it
Correct. I’m currently a contractor and reaching my 2 years limit in Feb. I’ll need to get a work permit by traveling to the UK and pay all kind of costs in case I convert to permanent (what the intention is). Given the situation with COVID and the fact that I don’t live in the UK I foresee a lot of red tape and a small possibility that it is going to work. There are alternatives, but this requires a lot of flexibility from both sides too.

If I were Indian, and the UK was my single opportunity to a better life, I would go for it. But I’m not. I have different good options too which is simply easier for me. I have been working in Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Sweden as a contractor and never had any issue with workpermits or taxation in my now 20 years career.

Two of my close familimembers (sis and bro in law) have studied in the UK (one masters at Oxford and one masters at Kings College in London) they are working for the UK gov now but they are looking around for other jobs too.

it all is extremely sad. If we had no relation at all with the UK and the deal was done, it would have been an improvement. Now it is simply a reduction of rights for ordinary people like you and me.

I would not forget to mention my lovely cousin who lives in the UK too. She works for the NHS for little money. She does not need the money at all but she is dedicated to her work.

some on this topic see a great future for the UK but other countries like France or Germany have proper infrastructure or we the Dutch have canals all over the country but I have not seen a British government actually being good for its own people and economy. Many of the Brits think the UK is exceptional and funny foreigners go there for all the benefits, but that’s not true. At least half of the European countries do better in healthcare and education.

I should not end here. Many Brits - this include hard core Brexiteers ( I have surprisingly many around me ) do give jobs to foreigners like me and go out into this world to do business anywhere. I like it, and I’m attracted by it and especially your exceptional humour.

There are reports of Brit nationals living and working in Spain and Italy trying to return home after spending Christmas in the UK being turned around at their destination airports and being sent back to the UK. Something to to with 'green card' documents that they've either applied for or actually possess but not being accepted.

Bureaucracy running away with itself again. It seems completely out of control, whereever you are. Like the nonsense of the retired doctors here who are being blocked at the application portal that they've been instructed to use.

There are reports of Brit nationals living and working in Spain and Italy trying to return home after spending Christmas in the UK being turned around at their destination airports and being sent back to the UK. Something to to with 'green card' documents that they've either applied for or actually possess but not being accepted.

Bureaucracy running away with itself again. It seems completely out of control, whereever you are. Like the nonsense of the retired doctors here who are being blocked at the application portal that they've been instructed to use.

Who’d have thought that leaving the EU would lead to more red tape and bureaucracy. I’d say anyone with a functioning brain that wasnt a complete anti-EU fanatic.

Bureaucracies feed themselves, Colin, and the fatter they get, the more they need feeding in a self-perpetuating, ever increasing spiral.

The EU is run by its own bureaucracy, and it functions beyond the reach of the normal checks and balances provided by proper democratic oversight. This kind of nonsense shows why we were right to get out.

Now to deal with our own out of control red tape generating machinery in the NHS and Home Office.

Bureaucracies feed themselves, Colin, and the fatter they get, the more they need feeding in a self-perpetuating, ever increasing spiral.

The EU is run by its own bureaucracy, and it functions beyond the reach of the normal checks and balances provided by proper democratic oversight. This kind of nonsense shows why we were right to get out.

Now to deal with our own out of control red tape generating machinery in the NHS and Home Office.
Without wanting to spoil another good anti-EU rant, the EU is not the root cause of their problem. It seems the mistake was with the airline (IAG group. i.e. Iberia, BA) being overzealous. Other people are flying to the EU without these issues.

Without wanting to spoil another good anti-EU rant, the EU is not the root cause of their problem. It seems the mistake was with the airline (IAG group. i.e. Iberia, BA) being overzealous. Other people are flying to the EU without these issues.
There you go ruining a good story with facts again

^ sounds like IAG were more worried about the false risk they might be responsible for flying people back foc than getting their customers to where they had paid to go.

Lord Ricketts, cross party peer and former National Security Advisor and ex-Met Chief Constable, Ian Blair contradicting claims by Pritti Patel that leaving the EU has strengthened UK security, indeed quite the reverse. But what do facts matter, eh?

My 'rant', such as it was, was aimed at bureaucracy in general. If you were to reread it you will perhaps note that my crosshairs fall on the UK Home Office and the NHS, two notably cumbersome institutions that have destroyed between them tens of thousands of lives in the last year alone, largely due to bureaucratic bloat and incompetence.

Perhaps living in France, a nation whose notoriously interfering, intransigent and constrictive bureaucracy forms the model for the EU's own institutions has inured you to the debilitating effects of excessive red tape. Then again, you work for a corporation which you describe as 'international', which might easily be taken for the type of organisation (to which which major airlines also 'belong') which has lobbying clout in Brussels, and thus powerfully influence the shape of the kinds of expensive regulation, designed to price smaller incomers out of the market, which serve also to routinely frustrate and enrage their own clients in incidents that bear a remarkable similarity to those taking place in Barcelona and N.Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back