advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
96bf86c6f83e62332b7e18b608c6f596536fe868.jpeg

"Reflecting on her time at the BBC, Maitlis said the corporation often slipped into a “both-sides-ism” approach to impartiality that gave a platform to individuals that did not deserve airtime.

She recalled how during the 2016 EU referendum the BBC would create a false equivalence by putting one pro-Brexit economist on air to debate with one anti-Brexit economist, even though the overwhelming majority of economists felt Brexit was a bad idea.

She said “sections of both the BBC and government-supporting newspapers appear to go into an automatic crouch position whenever the Brexit issue looms large.

Despite queues at the British border and economic issues piling up, such outlets are still reluctant to discuss the impact of Brexit “in case they get labelled pessimistic, anti-populist, or worse still, as above: unpatriotic.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...tive-tory-party-agent-shaping-bbc-news-output

I think part of that reluctance also comes from the fact that the BBC must also face up to some of the responsibility for the downward slide that Brexit has precipitated. By failing to inform and educate the public and consistently airing this 'false equivalence', they have helped push the country in the wrong direction. It's been the same with climate-change deniers, anti-vaxxers, and racist/anti-woke campaigners.

What a terrible legacy to leave the UK. No wonder it's head-in-the-sand time whenever this is pointed out to the BBC by the public.

Last edited:
Liz shakes tiny pink fist at Europe and flouts the wishes of business and the democratic majority in N.Ireland in order to use them as a weapon in the continuing, mindless and self destructive war with the EU.

Liz your next leader is unable to discern of France is a friend or a foe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ing-pm-amid-brexit-row?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

We are screwed.
Macron's response to that silly quip by Truss was solid and nicely paced - good comedy pause at the beginning: https://twitter.com/i/status/1563106228879761413

The language coming out the mouth of the British Foreign Secretary ( soon to be Prime Minister) would in the past only have been used in public by Nigel Farage and Ukip MEPs (between fiddling their expenses and punching each other’s lights out). It’s a mark of how far Britain has decayed in just six years.

Never mind, the British government is about to have a very hard collision with reality. The ex-Russian ambassador to London must be pissing himself.

The language coming out the mouth of the British Foreign Secretary ( soon to be Prime Minister) would in the past only have been used in public by Nigel Farage and Ukip MEPs (between fiddling their expenses and punching each other’s lights out). It’s a mark of how far Britain has decayed in just six years.

Never mind, the British government is about to have a very hard collision with reality. The ex-Russian ambassador to London must be pissing himself.

You don't have to fiddle your expenses as an MEP.

I wouldn't know at all, Barry, and neither will any of us, ever. I don't think MEPs are required to account for their expenses claims.

I wouldn't know at all, Barry, and neither will any of us, ever. I don't think MEPs are required to account for their expenses claims.

Some of them did turn up however and do their job. Unilke our Nige, who only ever pitched up when there was a bit of grandstanding to be done usually by insulting people. Not so much when decisions affecting the UK required constructive contribution or even a vote.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/ukip-leader-nigel-farage-worst-8302679

Some of them did turn up however and do their job. Unilke our Nige, who only ever pitched up when there was a bit of grandstanding to be done usually by insulting people. Not so much when decisions affecting the UK required constructive contribution or even a vote.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/ukip-leader-nigel-farage-worst-8302679

Yes, I'm aware of that. I don't know how many times he was elected as an MEP, but as I understand it, it was by a process considered by you lot to be far more democratic than the one used here to elect Westminster MPs, so I guess you shouldn't really complain.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I don't know how many times he was elected as an MEP, but as I understand it, it was by a process considered by you lot to be far more democratic than the one used here to elect Westminster MPs, so I guess you shouldn't really complain.

I'm not sure why, it would be like sending you to represent England at FIFA. Whether you were elected (even on a criminally low turnout) is neither here nor there, I would question whether someone who hated football was a suitable candidate. I totally accept that the UK lack of focus or interest in MEP elections provided a platform for goons like Farage.

We seem to have a number of issues here, beyond the false equivalence of football and elected political representatives, but I think what it probably boils down to is that an electoral system is democratic unless it elects Nigel Farage, in which case it apparently becomes a crime.

We seem to have a number of issues here, beyond the false equivalence of football and elected political representatives, but I think what it probably boils down to is that an electoral system is democratic unless it elects Nigel Farage, in which case it apparently becomes a crime.

You know exactly what the point was. The electoral system is irrelevent. Farage didn't do what he was sent there to do regardless, quite the reverse.

God knows what the rest of them ended up doing. They wouldn’t be fit for the job of council dog catcher and Farage blew them off pronto when he formed the Brexit Company. Mike Hookem is probably back in Barnsley doing pub doors. What’s rather disappointing is that the next British PM is sounding as statesmanlike as them.

Yes it is. It was flagged up on here a few days ago, so I answered it. It's very much skewed towards those who want imperial measurements reintroduced (the questions are not truly 'open') but there's some free text boxes, so I used them to express my misgivings about reintroducing imperial measurements.
I filled it in quite a while ago, in a similar fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back