Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Jun 20, 2022.

1. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

The old windbag has piped up. I responded to you this morning.

2. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

"How bloody the EU will make it"
    Exactly how?
    Seems to me they've been extremely accomodating, and difficulty has arisen from those negotiating on our behalf being the recipients of very low marks at school for comprehension, but nevertheless choosing as a career.
    But if you'd like to enumerate ways in which the mess we're in is in any way the EU's fault, since brexit, I'm all ears.
    Unless, of course, you can prove frost, francis, may, mogg etc are in fact EU actors?

3. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

The EU hasn't been remotely accommodating, and our negotiators were indeed by and large hopeless.

4. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Not sure.....on the last one I suspect mainly small businesses, having a certain Italian acquaintance that frequents them when he comes up from Milan! This of course also makes him a criminal, I think?

It has a significant effect on the town, which is not that affluent, and its is very samll. Yet there are plenty of Lambos, Ferraris and Merc AMGs!

5. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

So you did.

6. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Just popping into the thread to correct this inaccurate statement for about the 100th time; SM & CU, a "Norway" type Brexit or in fact anything other than a hard Brexit went out of the window when Theresa May made her Mansion House speech in March 2018.

PsB and ff1d1l like this.
  7. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

If that argument had any legs, the question is why did no one run with it. Run with it long enough, and it might’ve reached the European Courts, which you’d have though would be sympathetic. But no, nobody ran with it. Why?

8. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Except we’re talking about the triggering of A50, which happened a year earlier.

9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

And yet, here we are…

10. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Because it was entirely legal. What law do you think it broke?
    It was a device to circumvent the law, and entirely effective.

11. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Where is that quote from, you, or EV?

12. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

It obviously broke no law, otherwise someone would’ve challenged it in court

13. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

So, ways in which they weren't accomodating, and were obstructive?

14. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

EV. I am so not getting further involved in this thread. It will change precisely nothing and the world will still be shit and stupid.

15. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

What, is it non sequitur hour already?

16. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes, Brexit was decided years ago.

17. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

You’re back in now?

18. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Here's your comment that I quoted, and responded to:
    There was support for SM & CU prior to Article 50 being triggered, after Article 50 had been triggered, and now, post Brexit.

There probably wasn't much vocal support at the time from MP's because to stick your neck out on that would have had you branded as a "traitor" or an "enemy of the people."

19. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

While I agree with your second part, I would dispute the first: the EU was highly accommodating of successive British governments and parliamentary procedures.
    - After Art. 50 was invoked, the EU waited and waited while HMG dithered over what form of Brexit it thought it wanted.
    - It bent over backwards to keep the whole UK inside a de facto customs union to accommodate Theresa May's daft red lines, and negotiated an agreement on that basis.
    - When she was defenestrated by Johnson, they went back to the drawing board, bent over backwards in another direction and negotiated the NIP, which Johnson proclaimed a "great deal".
    - The EU agreed to multiple deadline extensions, suspended certain border checks for extended periods, all to give the UK time to get its act together
    - Etc.
    For an organization routinely derided by Brexiters as rule-bound and bureaucratic, the EU showed flexibility and creativity, including on core elements like the Single Market.

Kirk, tuga, Nick_G and 1 other person like this.
  20. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

So it's a one off, money laundering scheme for some low level criminals in one kebab shop in the town you live in?

I got the impression from your remarks that it was either on a significant scale or some sort of systemic effect, no?