advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D No, just following the convention in play. Some restaurants leave the bottle(s) on the table, so I'm happy to help myself when they do, but if they put it on a table 15 feet away, it's fairly obvious they're intending to serve you with the wine rather than leave you to help yourself. It's a nice thing, when done well.
Steve, I think you’re larging it. You said ‘ can your pour the red now, waiter’ and he picked up a glass behind the bar and had to juggle the glass while pressing the spigot and tipping the Laithwaites 3L wine box over to get enough out to fill the glass and try to fit in a drag on his vaping pen.

Last time I was out for a meal was 2018 at the old bridge inn Aviemore, beer was probably my choice. Being vegetarian and not eating desserts it’s prob quite hard to spend much more than £50, or it could be that I’m cheap ;).

Years ago we went to the Savoy, a foursome to celebrate sister-in-law's birthday. We had a tasting menu, with the set glass of wine with each course. One was a red Burgundy, but I identified it as Claret, and told the wine waiter. 'Oh, no, Sir, that is definitely the Burgundy', he replied, dismissively. So I got up, walked over to the sideboard, retrieved the bottle, and took it to him. 'That' I said 'is a claret'. 'Indeed it is, Sir,' he said, without missing a beat, 'I shall go and find the Burgundy for you.'

Years ago we went to the Savoy, a foursome to celebrate sister-in-law's birthday. We had a tasting menu, with the set glass of wine with each course. One was a red Burgundy, but I identified it as Claret, and told the wine waiter. 'Oh, no, Sir, that is definitely the Burgundy', he replied, dismissively. So I got up, walked over to the sideboard, retrieved the bottle, and took it to him. 'That' I said 'is a claret'. 'Indeed it is, Sir,' he said, without missing a beat, 'I shall go and find the Burgundy for you.'

Beware of small victories over staff in food serving emporiums.

Back in the nineties my boss and his wife went out for a curry at an Indian restaurant. She complained her food was cold and sent it back. A little while later she was violently sick and ended up in hospital and, given the back story, they took samples of her vomit. The next day the Police came round to take statements etc and on receipt of a ‘No’ to the question had she engaged in oral sex recently - they said ‘it must have been the chef then’.

Beware of small victories over staff in food serving emporiums.

Good advice. I would never send stuff back, or complain while there are outstanding orders still to arrive. The time to have that discussion is afterwards. The best weapons are to report what you found to anyone who might be tempted to go and avoid the place until it changes management.

The Savoy is such a missed opportunity because it could easily match the surroundings, but why should they bother? Nobody who goes really seems to care and there will always be people queueing up. For a special occasion I don't think you can beat a known quantity who you have built a relationship with, a place where a little advance notice of an occasion can have them wanting to make it special. Not a place where they feel they are doing you a favour by fitting you in.

A friend held a short notice special birthday meal at the Shard, I have to say it was one of the most soullessly average dining experiences of my life, delivered with the absolute minimum of warmth or interest. I've enjoyed better food and ambiance in a 70's transport cafe.

MV5BOGM0NGQ0OWItYzg2MS00NDQ4LTg2M2EtMmM5OTViYTIzZmY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg

Thanks. The others?
Southeastern is also under public control. Info from Wikipedia:

London North Eastern Railway
On 24 June 2018, London North Eastern Railway took over the InterCity East Coast franchise from Virgin Trains East Coast after the latter ran into financial difficulty.[3][4]

Northern Trains
On 1 March 2020, Northern Trains took over the Northern franchise from Arriva Rail North after the latter became financially unviable.[5][6]

SE Trains
On 17 October 2021, SE Trains, trading as Southeastern, took over the South Eastern franchise from London & South Eastern Railway after financial irregularities were uncovered.[7]

So, basically three privatised national resources were taken back into public ownership during a period of Tory administration and nobody died or got a plague of boils, or anything. So they can and will do it, if they have to. They usually just have to exhaust every other possibility before they get round to doing the right thing.

So what we need is for Ofgem to grow a pair and cap the cap, force the energy companies into public ownership.

Apart, maybe, from Ecotricity, who seem to have a good corporate ethic and I'd rather they prosper.

My mate worked in a food canning factory. They gobbed in every tin of strawberries. So don’t buy those, or any other tinned goods since there’ll be a mate who worked in that factory.

So, basically three privatised national resources were taken back into public ownership during a period of Tory administration and nobody died or got a plague of boils, or anything. So they can and will do it, if they have to. They usually just have to exhaust every other possibility before they get round to doing the right thing.
That's just England. In addition to the three English services, there's ScotRail in Scotland and Welsh & Borders in Wales. Five franchises in total (Wikipedia).

Good advice. I would never send stuff back, or complain while there are outstanding orders still to arrive. The time to have that discussion is afterwards. The best weapons are to report what you found to anyone who might be tempted to go and avoid the place until it changes management.
I was in a Michelin one star on Friday called the pipe and glass in South Dalton. In the last spoonful of my dessert I pulled two shards of glass out of my mouth.

I was fairly relaxed about it but surprised they only offered to give me the dessert for free.

I'm still waiting for a ruptured bowel.

My mate worked in a food canning factory. They gobbed in every tin of strawberries. So don’t buy those, or any other tinned goods since there’ll be a mate who worked in that factory.
Impressive level of diligence. I'd have got bored after gobbing in about 5 tins.

I do have a friend, sorry colleague, who wiped his bellend over the ice cream in the Baskin Robbins booth at UCI cinemas hull once. He defo didn't do it to every tub, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back