advertisement

Bloodhound LSR. Some cool footage and some news.

That's going to go off like Buzz Lightyear with Woody onboard at the end of Toy Story -'I just lit a rocket... and rockets explode!'

rough back of envelope sums - claims require min 2.3g average acceleration, so likely peak is way higher - no time to learn the controls!; roll-out to 1000mph a bit over 3miles, 8 miles to stop (where will it run?) or tl;dr: a large effective blast radius.

I wish them well, but - lack of wheel fairing and a good ol' beam axle for a start ...really..?. Ah, She'll be right.

Seriously - I wish the Aussie Invader team all the best, it'd be great to see some competition and they're just the kind of inventive people to make it happen.

I don’t see why they don’t run it remotely first, see what happens!! They have no idea what the aero will do.. it might lighten up at the front so fast that it goes vertical and sends poor old Rocco to the moon.

I’d be making sure the braking parachute is strong enough as a descent parachute myself. Fair Dinkum.

That's going to go off like Buzz Lightyear with Woody onboard at the end of Toy Story -'I just lit a rocket... and rockets explode!'

rough back of envelope sums - claims require min 2.3g average acceleration, so likely peak is way higher - no time to learn the controls!; roll-out to 1000mph a bit over 3miles, 8 miles to stop (where will it run?) or tl;dr: a large effective blast radius.

I wish them well, but - lack of wheel fairing and a good ol' beam axle for a start ...really..?. Ah, She'll be right.

Seriously - I wish the Aussie Invader team all the best, it'd be great to see some competition and they're just the kind of inventive people to make it happen.

Having seen what Bloodhound kicks up at circa 5-600mph, can you imagine what those rear discs are going to 'look like' after even a mere few seconds - let alone the 20seconds to the run to 1k. Would I expect them to work again when crammed with detritus packed at 1k mph!

Having seen what Bloodhound kicks up at circa 5-600mph, can you imagine what those rear discs are going to 'look like' after even a mere few seconds - let alone the 20seconds to the run to 1k. Would I expect them to work again when crammed with detritus packed at 1k mph!

Do world speed records no longer require a run in both directions within a certain timeframe any more ?

Can't see the aussie rocket being fit for two runs.

Watching the Thrust SSC video you can see similar 90 degree steering inputs at silly speed, ye gods.

From about 2m 25s onwards

true, but this was because the wheels were intentionally offset.. and it was pulling itself left at speed.

Don't forget that the steering is intentionally a stupidly-low ratio, something like 90deg input = about 1 degree of wheel deflection: it has to work at stupid velocities where the team do not want the possibility of hand-wheel input actually destabilising the vehicle in correction. Also, such inputs are likely to diminish once the aero longitudinal stability - that monstrous tailfin - as designed-in starts to dominate at higher speeds.

With <3mm embedment of a hard wheel in a variable-hard surface, and prior knowledge of the way thrust SSC was too-often barely in contact with the ground, ahem, my guess is there'll likely be a point where the driver controls the throttle and otherwise is a passenger. The biggest chicken-switch in the world! :eek:

It's also the reason the early runs this year wanted to test crosswind sensitivity: such will be critical to successful trans-sonic runs. (At least that's the idea, iirc.)

I think you couldn't possibly better define the differences between Aussies and brits than the variance in approaches to this endeavor.

My employer was heavily involved sponsoring the previous iteration of Bloodhound and I met Richard Noble a couple of times. We also did school STEM stuff on the back of it as the kids found that they could relate to it, and a colleague and I donated some university lectureship fees to the STEM side, though Richard asked the university to address payment to the main project. I wish the Bloodhound LSR team all the best and also wish that my employer could have continued with the sponsorship.

Watching the Thrust SSC video you can see similar 90 degree steering inputs at silly speed, ye gods.

true, but this was because the wheels were intentionally offset.. and it was pulling itself left at speed.

No this isn't the case. We had a lecture where I used to work by Ron Ayes and I asked him specifically about this extreme steering inputs you see in the video. He said it happened on a specific part of the course only, was reproducible, but that they didn't know what caused it. He speculated it might be to do with the ground conditions at a particular point on the course, but that those inputs were simply 'dialed in' to how they ran the car.

CHE

No this isn't the case. We had a lecture where I used to work by Ron Ayes and I asked him specifically about this extreme steering inputs you see in the video. He said it happened on a specific part of the course only, was reproducible, but that they didn't know what caused it. He speculated it might be to do with the ground conditions at a particular point on the course, but that those inputs were simply 'dialed in' to how they ran the car.

CHE

Interesting he didn’t talk of it. I only mentioned it because I saw Andy Green give this reason in a bloodhound video reminiscing about the simplicity and handling quirks of SSC!

Interesting he didn’t talk of it. I only mentioned it because I saw Andy Green give this reason in a bloodhound video reminiscing about the simplicity and handling quirks of SSC!

He says it in the video I posted, about the wheels being staggered and causing a hard pull to the left by design.

Like tipping LOX onto a barbeque ?- spectacular, but by the time you get the core above 55degC I suspect there wouldn't be much left worth attempting to eat.

Where's @stevec67, when you need him to design a cook profile..: 100MW heat input, c 2000degC, vs 1 goat. Dice and flambe - prep time, 1hr, cook 3secs, serves 40?

advertisement

Back