advertisement

Bloodhound LSR. Some cool footage and some news.

Very eloquent, thank you. But I'm still not sure what difference it makes to anything.

What, for example, is the point of trying to run ground vehicles past Mach 1? If there is a way of doing this for passengers, isn't it reasonably obvious that it's not on the ground?
There isn't a point, other than the fact that this is a vehicle for engineering excellence. That's the whole point. That's science and engineering for you, one thing feeds off another and another. Some things are transferable and go on to greater things, some not. But only by doing all this sort of stuff do we advance.

Latest tweet from the team while they try to sort out a snag with a temperature sensor

“Just straight lines in a desert right?Look again. See how the twin lines on the left are closer together than those on the right? That’s because the wider apart rear wheels aren’t directly following the fronts. Andy Green calls this ‘1 degree of yaw’. You and I call it oversteer”

How many kids do you know that give a career in engineering any thought at all?

It’s jet and rocket propelled. And the project is giving data. Lots of data that can be used.

we are recruiting more engineering undergraduates than ever in mechanical, aerospace and automotive engineering. Only area suffering is electronics and electrical. Although interest in manufacturing eng has died

we are recruiting more engineering undergraduates than ever in mechanical, aerospace and automotive engineering. Only area suffering is electronics and electrical. Although interest in manufacturing eng has died

Although, I’m guessing, the “more than ever” doesn’t go back to the early 70s?

given what I know about the size intake on those disciplines I the 1970s, I'd say way more. possibly double........

I’d say that there were probably more companies back then? And don’t get me started on some ‘modern apprenticeships’ grrr!

Well. ‘If’ there were thousands more manufacturing and maintenance companies back in, say, 1970, and they all ran apprenticeship schemes, that might mean there were more apprentices then than now, even though larger (but fewer) companies might be recruiting more of them now.

Since January 2000 I’ve worked at four aircraft maintenance facilities. And off the top of my head, I’ve seen around 25 apprentices go through those companies. That’s not impressive, and there really aren’t as many aviation engineering companies as there were fifty years ago.

advertisement

Back