advertisement

Bloodhound LSR. Some cool footage and some news.

Main problem with a Rocket Motor, is you can't really turn them off once you have lit the fuse...
You really need to know and understand the Bloodhound Project before making remarks like that, which are actually 100% incorrect.
Bloodhound rocket motors use technology that really does allow for them to be 'turned off' as required - using a combination of HTP (High Test Peroxide) and rubber granules.
The tech is amazing and many videos available to look at if you want.

You really need to know and understand the Bloodhound Project before making remarks like that, which are actually 100% incorrect.
Bloodhound rocket motors use technology that really does allow for them to be 'turned off' as required - using a combination of HTP (High Test Peroxide) and rubber granules.
The tech is amazing and many videos available to look at if you want.

Yes, I now re-read Tony's message, thinking that it was 'a shame it does not use a rocket motor' rather than 'a shame it never used the rocket motor'. I was thinking he was suggesting just using a big rocket motor instead of the hybrid system they are using.

I did follow the project a few years ago, when they were exhibiting at the Farnborough Air Show, been a while since mind.

It’ll be going nowhere, and the car will be stripped to pay off some debt. I should think the engine will go back to the RAF.
A real shame it never used the rocket motor.

In this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55802783 Warhurst says :-

Whatever happens in the coming weeks, the car itself will never be broken up, which was a real threat before Mr Warhurst rescued the project from administration in 2018. "I won't let that happen. At the very least, Bloodhound will go into a museum for everyone to admire and be inspired by."

CHE

In this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55802783 Warhurst says :-

Whatever happens in the coming weeks, the car itself will never be broken up, which was a real threat before Mr Warhurst rescued the project from administration in 2018. "I won't let that happen. At the very least, Bloodhound will go into a museum for everyone to admire and be inspired by."

CHE

Ok.

But.... inspired? To what? It didn’t achieve anything, sadly.

They could put in with a museum with Howard Hughes Spruce Goose, the TSR2 and the Brabham BT-46.

That site makes me feel slightly bilious, I hate that sort of bragging.

Why do they have a picture of a Renault Twizy daubed in a Union Jack livery?

a9f0b7_152c2614bdcf4084a91886b147d4966e~mv2.jpg

I could have sworn Renault were French. Oh well, every day's a school day.

It must've been around 8 years ago I was attending Derby College to do my HNC and a replica / mockup (call it what you will) was on display, I think it was doing the rounds of various colleges etc.

One dinner time I was in the college cafe and the only table with any spare seats was next to someone in full RAF uniform, it was Andy Green.

I sat with him for 30 mins or so and he was a proper nice bloke and more than friendly, The Bloodhound isn't something I know much about but the engineering aspect does interest me immensely

It's a strange one, the fact that some self promoting professional 'Best of British' shitehawk like Dyson or Ratcliffe haven't stepped in, with what to them must surely be a miserly amount of cash, gives me the impression there's some bad juju on the grapevine or something wrong with the whole thing.

Well for a start its been stood for a year + since runs on abrasive salty desert, so there'll be an awful lot of work to do-over and essentially rebuild /re-qualify an airframe, for that's essentially what it is.

I'd still really like to see the Bloodhound run to its utmost. To do so would be from the penny jar for Jim Radcliff/ Ineos and similar - esp. compared with his America's Cup ambitions.

Here's the thing: America's Cup is a fantastic thing to watch, and prob north of > £100M an entry ticket - and it gets none of the 'oh, wouldn't X be a better use of resources..' bollox that any LSR attempt seems to garner from all sorts of the bloviating & unimaginative. Yet the AC comes around every, what, 4years?

£20-25M for what might be the last sincere attempt for LSR for a couple of decades or rather more - simply because it is that bloody difficult and dangerous. Oh, how I'd love to see the project pushed to conclusion. And our aspirations, and STEM education, pushed a little further from the mouth of the cave we still seem to inhabit.

ETA:
DSCF0721_800px_hands-on.jpg

hands-on, with @stevied - invitation visit in Gloucester a year ago. fab stuff

advertisement

Back