advertisement

Bloodhound LSR. Some cool footage and some news.

The team shared this photo on Twitter. There’s no before photo, but this was distorted only by airflow.

That shows why panel-fit on fast jets is so important. Thankfully I never found out the hard way!

The team shared this photo on Twitter. There’s no before photo, but this was distorted only by airflow.

That shows why panel-fit on fast jets is so important. Thankfully I never found out the hard way!

It would be interesting to know just what the actual airspeed round that part of the car is when the car is at #500mph - that, along with the impact of huge amounts of dust / sand grains must carry huge amounts of impact energy to be able to buckle titanium like that. Im guessing at well over double that speed it's going to be exceedingly brutal.

The updates they keep supplying have been superb, as is the way the entire operation is being run.

Where are they intending to do the land speed runs , Bonneville ? Is that surface they are testing on now more abrasive then sand ?..it looks it.

From today’s email update

“As a team we knew that getting to 500mph (800 Km/h) shouldn’t be a problem. It is from this point that the real testing begins. Over the next two weeks, we will be gently pushing the car faster through the transonic region, carefully analysing the data between runs to ensure we proceed safely to the next step. The excitement in the team is tangible. We are now settled into the routine of being here and are stepping up another gear as the next set of runs become more challenging.”

Gawd I’d love to be there with them.

I've driven through the Kalahari, but not at that speed. It's a spectacular place.

For anyone doubting the benefits of a project like this see here. Brilliant work.

No wonder it's getting damaged -

It's like trying to do a land speed record on the M1 but with 3 inches of crap all over it.. it's the debris that's causing the damage, not the 'wind'...

if you didn't watch the video above, skip to 2.50 to see the ground debris being kicked up..

No wonder it's getting damaged -

It's like trying to do a land speed record on the M1 but with 3 inches of crap all over it.. it's the debris that's causing the damage, not the 'wind'...

if you didn't watch the video above, skip to 2.50 to see the ground debris being kicked up..

Hands up here. I was so wrong. When it went bankrupt I said it had been bought for asset stripping. Hats of to the investor and team. Fingers crossed for the next year that they manage it. The pilot/driver must have big balls of steel!

advertisement

Back