advertisement

Black Friday 2019

You don’t need a prescription to buy CBD oil in the UK.
You can buy it in Boots, Superdrug and health food stores.
For all the good it will do you...

Made you look, made you stare, made the barber cut your hair. Hopefully Tony gets commission from the link.

Surely that should be 'Made you look, made you stare, made you show your underwear'? I always think of CBA when I see the acronym CBD, because cannabis has the effect of not making you arsed. I'm already not arsed about most things, which is why I avoid cannabis.

grumpy post pointing out Which mag report :)

"We tracked the prices of the products sold in 2017's Black Friday deals across a full year - for six months before Black Friday and six months afterwards. The goal was simple: to find out whether Black Friday deals really are the rock-bottom prices many shoppers expect. And the answer? Usually not. We found that 87% of the Black Friday deal items we investigated were available for the same price or cheaper at other times of the year. The deals we looked at included 94 of the most popular tech, home and personal care products. Many of us rush to buy products on Black Friday assuming that they won't be that cheap again for a long time. But in 86% of the cases we looked at, the items cost the same price or less in the six months following Black Friday, while 46% could be found cheaper than their Black Friday price on at least one day in the six months afterwards. Even when extending the period of ‘Black Friday’ to the two weeks surrounding the day itself, to include Black Friday week and Cyber Monday deals, 74% could be picked up for the same price or less in the six months afterwards. "

Shop knowing the facts. happy Christmas(ish) :)

not surprising really is it? For bigger priced items that need replacing but not immediately, I use PriceSpy to track prices. I am looking at new Synology NAS for a variety of reasons, and I have been tracking the price for about 6 months, when the price looks good to me I'll buy.

grumpy post pointing out Which mag report :)

"We tracked the prices of the products sold in 2017's Black Friday deals across a full year - for six months before Black Friday and six months afterwards. The goal was simple: to find out whether Black Friday deals really are the rock-bottom prices many shoppers expect. And the answer? Usually not. We found that 87% of the Black Friday deal items we investigated were available for the same price or cheaper at other times of the year. The deals we looked at included 94 of the most popular tech, home and personal care products. Many of us rush to buy products on Black Friday assuming that they won't be that cheap again for a long time. But in 86% of the cases we looked at, the items cost the same price or less in the six months following Black Friday, while 46% could be found cheaper than their Black Friday price on at least one day in the six months afterwards. Even when extending the period of ‘Black Friday’ to the two weeks surrounding the day itself, to include Black Friday week and Cyber Monday deals, 74% could be picked up for the same price or less in the six months afterwards. "

Shop knowing the facts. happy Christmas(ish) :)

So the other 13%, being other than the 87% mentioned, are genuine reductions - seems to be the implication (but remains unsaid).
If that be the case it’s probably worth combing through now and then to see if what you seek is on offer. Just looking at stuff because it’s there and buying because it looks nice is how my wife shops.

Surely that should be 'Made you look, made you stare, made you show your underwear'? I always think of CBA when I see the acronym CBD, because cannabis has the effect of not making you arsed. I'm already not arsed about most things, which is why I avoid cannabis.

Take some and become double arsed and you may then start to worry (paranoia)

Bloss

Do you really need it, gintonic ?

maybe.

One of my NASs failed completely, so my current backup regime is suboptimal. I plan to relegate my existing NAS to my backup and new one would be my server.

Our NASs are the only form of storage, we no longer use local disks in PCs laptops for data. The NAS streams music around the house a supports 7 CCTV cameras. A more modern NAS would have more processing umph.

So do I need it, yes, but we aren't in a desperate situation yet.

maybe.

One of my NASs failed completely, so my current backup regime is suboptimal. I plan to relegate my existing NAS to my backup and new one would be my server.

Our NASs are the only form of storage, we no longer use local disks in PCs laptops for data. The NAS streams music around the house a supports 7 CCTV cameras. A more modern NAS would have more processing umph.

A Nas/Second Nas isnt a reliable backup strategy.
A Nas gives you high availability, a failed disk and you dont go offline. If something nasty gets in and encrypts available shares/connected drives etc then its gone. Same with enemy action, if its deleted/edited then its gone (shadow copies/NAS recycle din not withstanding).

Large external drive, connect once a day/week/month and take a backup of critical data (which might be all data) then disconnect and take off site/store in fire proof safe. Ideally have 2 on rotation, so if the worst happens and something bad gets in when the drive is connected then you havent lost everything.

Obviously this is a more extreme side of the coin, but big drives are not expensive (recently got an 8tb USB drive for £113 on Amazon).. And having lost a whole slew of older family photos a while back this is now my setup. Garage is detatched and a sensible distance from the house so we use that as 'off site'.. Any disaster big enough to affect house and garage I would have other worries.

actually it is fine, my other NAS is isolated behind a firewall on another site.

I am using a big USB drive, but it is showing signs of being very unreliable.

I have deep back ups using AWS.

maybe.

sam_cat has actually just written what I was going to answer you. Say Amen to this, as it sums up everything that must be said about data backup:

Large external drive, connect once a day/week/month and take a backup of critical data (which might be all data) then disconnect and take off site/store in fire proof safe. Ideally have 2 on rotation, so if the worst happens and something bad gets in when the drive is connected then you havent lost everything.
In my case I rent a safe deposit box, and the external USB disc just fits in. I work in IT and I have seen too many tragedies. I also maintain that a NAS is a risky affair, especially if the RAID is configured in an amateur way (RAID 0). Even with RAID 5, in case of HD failure, you can **** up a lot if you don't know exacly what you are doing.

oh and the NASs on separate sites only comm via VPN, both are behind firewall appliances.

My 14yo son wants to build a gaming computer. I have no idea where he needs to start (but want to have a go on it when he finishes!!)

Where's the best place to look for Black Friday 'stuff'?

My 14yo son wants to build a gaming computer. I have no idea where he needs to start (but want to have a go on it when he finishes!!)

It might be an idea to check out Digital Foundry - https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry

They look out for deals, and they're one of the leading authorities on what's what in gaming PC hardware and suchlike.

For example they have a story on graphics card deals, a story on the best deals in Overclockers' black Friday PC components sale, and so on.

there will be literally 100s of places out there, selling gaming rig components. Most or all will offer black friday deals/bundles.

I dont bother building my own any more, but when I did, I used a range of suppliers including the likes of OverClockers, Ebuyer, Amazon, Novatech, ebay, CCL, Scan, Mesh etc

IMO and IME, this needs careful planning - do you already know what you want to buy? what spec of each of these?

INtel or AMD?
Video card?
How much mem
How much disk
Power Supply
What case?

budget? include monitor(s)?

or just buy? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-systems/gaming-pc

build your own, can be done and can be fun, and can be a learning exercise.........but if you havent planned carefully, read lots you can make some expensive mistakes

I used to build computers for myself and family but have not done so for a few years now. I have purchased Overclockers custom build systems for the last two, one of which was a gaming machine for my son who is a high intensity user. The Machine we got has worked brilliantly, the only updates we have made it to fit a larger NVME SSD recently.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-systems/configurator/gaming-pc

Pick a base and configure away, more money usually means faster ;-)

Doh.... Just saw gintonic reply, great minds and all that.

advertisement

Back