advertisement

Black Friday 2019

It might be an idea to check out Digital Foundry - https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry

They look out for deals, and they're one of the leading authorities on what's what in gaming PC hardware and suchlike.

For example they have a story on graphics card deals, a story on the best deals in Overclockers' black Friday PC components sale, and so on.

In the words of my son when he sees that after school "OMG that's brilliant!"

Thanks !

there will be literally 100s of places out there, selling gaming rig components. Most or all will offer black friday deals/bundles.

I dont bother building my own any more, but when I did, I used a range of suppliers including the likes of OverClockers, Ebuyer, Amazon, Novatech, ebay, CCL, Scan, Mesh etc

IMO and IME, this needs careful planning - do you already know what you want to buy? what spec of each of these?

INtel or AMD?
Video card?
How much mem
How much disk
Power Supply
What case?

budget? include monitor(s)?

or just buy? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-systems/gaming-pc

build your own, can be done and can be fun, and can be a learning exercise.........but if you havent planned carefully, read lots you can make some expensive mistakes

OK, I'm passing all this on to him.

Is it worth him even considering second hand - last generation stuff. I know it's more risky but I guess with the stuff being modular if one thing breaks then the rest is still usable?

Some of those machines in that link look sic!

I used to build computers for myself and family but have not done so for a few years now. I have purchased Overclockers custom build systems for the last two, one of which was a gaming machine for my son who is a high intensity user. The Machine we got has worked brilliantly, the only updates we have made it to fit a larger NVME SSD recently.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-systems/configurator/gaming-pc

Pick a base and configure away, more money usually means faster ;-)

Doh.... Just saw gintonic reply, great minds and all that.

He's basically been using a pretty average Dell laptop to game on (basic spec 3 years ago) so anything will be a major upgrade.

Is there any link to a specific base machine in overclockers we should be looking as and we'll watch Black Friday tomorrow of course? I suspect us trying build up one will cause headaches so is this sort of thing decent to start with? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-5-2600-geforce-gtx-1660-super-fs-1dv-og.html

He's basically been using a pretty average Dell laptop to game on (basic spec 3 years ago) so anything will be a major upgrade.

Is there any link to a specific base machine in overclockers we should be looking as and we'll watch Black Friday tomorrow of course? I suspect us trying build up one will cause headaches so is this sort of thing decent to start with? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-5-2600-geforce-gtx-1660-super-fs-1dv-og.html

Start with budget as you can up-spec very easily to many thousands. My sons 2017 machine was £1300 without monitors and keyboard/mouse etc. It was an overclocked to 4.8ghz i5 7600K with 16Gb Ram a 256Gb NVMe SSD and GTX1070 graphics. It is still an excellent machine for gaming where graphics is more important than outright processor power. Recommend a decent headset/mic as well as the chat is as important as the gaming to my son. His next upgrade is a faster monitor 120 or 144hz.

oh and the NASs on separate sites only comm via VPN, both are behind firewall appliances.

So long as you are aware of the risks and have made a decision. So many people dont, and they just assume that NAS = Backup.

One danger is data rot, something bad happens but not catastrophic and you dont notice or fail to act in time and the autosync start... One NAS syncs to the other once a week/whenever and overwrites the good data with bad. At least with plugging a drive in its a concious decision.

This is a risk with external backups as well, The only data I really care about is family photos, important documents and school/uni work (other half is working through master then doctorate).. So on the external drive it creates a new backup each time, until it runs out of space then it removes the oldest. Should be good for ~8 backups so about 8 weeks.

My 14yo son wants to build a gaming computer. I have no idea where he needs to start (but want to have a go on it when he finishes!!)

Where's the best place to look for Black Friday 'stuff'?

Whats the Budget available? Ideal budget and max at a stretch budget (sometimes you can get a lot better for a small amount extra).

as above, Overclockers.co.uk will do you fine. They are good.

Whats the Budget available? Ideal budget and max at a stretch budget (sometimes you can get a lot better for a small amount extra).

as above, Overclockers.co.uk will do you fine. They are good.

Looking at overclockers the budgets probably at the bottom end so say £600ish.

Is there any merit risking it second hand or are you just buying a load of potential trouble...(actually I've already talked myself out of second hand as I can't be bothered diagnosing issues)

So long as you are aware of the risks and have made a decision. So many people dont, and they just assume that NAS = Backup.

One danger is data rot, something bad happens but not catastrophic and you dont notice or fail to act in time and the autosync start... One NAS syncs to the other once a week/whenever and overwrites the good data with bad. At least with plugging a drive in its a concious decision.

This is a risk with external backups as well, The only data I really care about is family photos, important documents and school/uni work (other half is working through master then doctorate).. So on the external drive it creates a new backup each time, until it runs out of space then it removes the oldest. Should be good for ~8 backups so about 8 weeks.

I already have a big disk rotated offsite. Dual NAS is for backup and other purposes. I know exactly what I am doing

Looking at overclockers the budgets probably at the bottom end so say £600ish.

Is there any merit risking it second hand or are you just buying a load of potential trouble...(actually I've already talked myself out of second hand as I can't be bothered diagnosing issues)

Do you need screen, keyboard, mouse as well?

Something like this:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tita...n-2200g-system-3.7ghz-fs-094-og.html#t=a2b1e5

(Swapped from the default case to the cheapest option, CPU to a slightly better one that was cheaper and 1tb HDD to a 512gb SSD which will make things MUCH snappier)

If you are comfortable installing windows then you can get the OS cheaper (MUCH cheaper) from ebay... But that always throws up questions of how legitimate it is. I have used ebay codes for my own boxes and never had a problem, but you do hear stories of people having minor grief sometimes.

If budget can allow then a better graphics card will make a difference.

I had a chat with him and he's keen to build up his own and has done some research.

Some bits for starters that I'll be looking for Black Friday deals on:

- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (about £150)

- AMD Radeon RX590 (about £150)

- Gigabyte b450m ds3h Motherboard (about £60)

- 480GB SSD (about £40) - does he need standard 1TB drive as well?

- Power Supply - not sure but think min 600w?

- Case - he likes this but looks almost too cheap. Any advice on fans as I'd prefer large slower/quieter...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HWD5ZS3/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Hope to see some bargains tomorrow so the choices above may change to keep thread on topic !!

I'll buy the stuff through my business to claim Vat so easier to slip these receipts thru rather than one saying GAMING COMPUTER

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
is that something you really want to announce on a public website?
Christ, it's not as if he's dealing with MI5 in a murder investigation. Just like me and my need for hand tools to calibrate food manufacturing equipment. Sometimes as much as £50 that I run through the business. Steady on.

Christ, it's not as if he's dealing with MI5 in a murder investigation. Just like me and my need for hand tools to calibrate food manufacturing equipment. Sometimes as much as £50 that I run through the business. Steady on.

I gave up caring long ago...with the amount of political and white collar crime going on the last decade or so out in broad daylight. We have a crook running the USA for starters

cheating’s cheating.

advertisement

Back