1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Friday 2019

Discussion in 'off topic' started by seagull, Nov 22, 2019.

1. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

Well, I suppose like the rest of you I have started receiving news on Black Friday deals. I know that 'officially' it is next Friday but I've already bagged a bargain...

My employer gives staff John Lewis vouchers each year (previous years have resulted in a Le Crueset casserole dish and a substantial saving on a smart TV for Miss seagull).

Our 8 year old iPad has ground to a halt, so this year I have bought a Samsung tablet to replace it. Its retail price is £199.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-g...3TbAoFbsceWevOEX9EMaAs_7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The 'Black Friday' price £159, vouchers worth £150 so it has cost me the princely sum of £9. :D

I'll pick it up from our local Waitrose, together with the shopping tomorrow afternoon.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Good idea for a thread. Please actually post links to any bargains found as a lot of businesses do pay link affiliation which considerably helps pfm.

3. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Presumably 'Black Friday' is tat that isn't quite as bad as the stuff tipped out after Boxing Day?

4. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy Well-Known Member

The sun will rise, the birds will fly, there WILL be tat. But also some bargains. I fancy me one of those super-duper logitech harmony elite remotes :)

cutting42 likes this.
  5. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

6. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I keep trying to work out how to make Black Friday to my advantage as a retailer. If I did it across the entire range like some do, all that would happen is my customers would pause purchasing and wait to get it cheaper, hitting my gross margins without actually developing the brand in any way. So far I have ignored it and found sales are steady with a decent spike on Black Friday anyway...it has become apparent that it really marks the beginning of the Christmas shopping spend. Sales increase on Black Friday and stay strong until about the 20th December

I can only come up with re-labelling my clearance items as something like Black Friday Specials or something. But as I sell nearly twice as much stuff as the day before without doing anything, I cant really be bothered.

7. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

8. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

That's where yer SEO type consulting should offer advice. BF deals on highly niche products may get lost in the furore. You may be better doing flash one day sales on certainnbiker forums etc.

9. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

All I've bought so far is this Sandisk 128GB USB drive for £13.49 so that I can have some music plugged directly into my bedroom Nvidia Shield TV rather than having to stream it over network.

I wouldn't mind buying a new phone as well to replace my Google Nexus 4 but modern phones have grown considerably since I bought it 6 or 7 years ago and are no longer pocket-friendly!

10. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Need a new Tele for the kids to play Xbox as they currently use my old Plasma. On the flip side it heats the room for them...God it must chew the juice!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  11. sam_cat

sam_cat C'est Crounchifique!

8tb Western Digital external drive for £113
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LWVT81X

Ordered, from reading around it normally a WD Red, perfect for sticking a few into a NAS if thats your cup of tea.

Best price ever according to CamelCubed:
    [​IMG]

Gaycha likes this.
  12. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

sam_cat likes this.
  13. mjw

mjw pfm Member

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Nice iPad for the cash, though it is model prior to the current 2018 one, i.e. it will be two versions behind when the next is released early next year.

15. mjw

mjw pfm Member

and I did a quick google (because I don’t know a lot about the product line) to find they’re price matching Curry’s.

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Fans of JW Black should try Aldi Highland Black at about £12 iirc. It's pretty good and a similar style. If you don't like it you can always give it to people who want to have it with Coke. In sharp contrast is Aldi Gin that doesn't taste of very much and is best disregarded. Gordon's is a million times better. The Aldi stuff is OK for a run of the mill G&T, go big on the ice and the fruit and nice tonic and you might get away with it. Otherwise no.

17. mjw

mjw pfm Member

18. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

I get a mountain gorilla or two every Black Friday. No discount or two-for-one deals, but that’s kinda the point.

Joe

Durmbo likes this.
  19. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

20. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

Can we merge this with the Greta and meat threads?