advertisement

Black Friday 2019

1kg Lucaffe Coffee beans only £10.90 collected here at The Espresso Shop in Glasgow. Shipping is available but it would probably only make sense if you're buying a few bags to make the extra cost worthwhile. I'm heading over shortly :)

81gF5z%2B8lfL._AC_AA180_.jpg

- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (about £150)

Go for the standard 2700 and overclock it to the same speed as 2700X. Easy to do. Saves you ~£15

- AMD Radeon RX590 (about £150)
Looks good. Check reviews of the specific one you are looking at, want the best cooler that it can come with, keeps noise down.

- Gigabyte b450m ds3h Motherboard (about £60)
Lots of options around that price point, check some reviews but first glance nothing wrong with it.
Board is Micro ATX, case is full atx... You could fit a bigger board into the case, or get a smaller case.

- 480GB SSD (about £40) - does he need standard 1TB drive as well?
Only if he needs the extra storage. Easy to add later. Save your money for now I would say.

- Power Supply - not sure but think min 600w?
600w will be fine. DONT skimp on the psu, get a half decent brand. Superflower are good, but always do some research on this.
https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
PSU calculator suggests that it will be under 500W, so 550-600W gives a nice bit of headroom without getting silly.

- Case - he likes this but looks almost too cheap. Any advice on fans as I'd prefer large slower/quieter...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HWD5ZS3/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
That will be fine. Its a cheap case so wont be great, and reading the reviews some complaints about airflow.. good airflow is important for keeping things cool. Cool = Quiet.

Maybe? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-shadow-midi-tower-gaming-case-black-window-ca-235-bx.html

Fans - 120mm or 140mm if the case will take them, I like Noctua fans (very quiet) but there are plenty of good options out there. Most half decent motherboards will let you slow the fans down based on temperature, so when pc not doing much then fans can be barely moving any air and silent. As things heat up the fans speed up.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
OK, great Feedback.

I was getting confused with the size of the motherboards so will go normal sized board to match the case size. I like that case in the link and will run it by him. I think he likes LEDs on the front or something though but don't want to skimp on the case. Overclockers are doing good prices on most things I'm looking for.

That 2700X has a much better fan than the 2700 and it's got LED's and again he's into that.

I'm still confused about case fans. Do the cases come with a basic shitty one and you upgrade? I prefer larger fan going slower for more noise but do you just start with say 1 x 140mm fan.

LG panels are excellent we love our OLED in the living room. Have a year old Samsung in the bedroom, and we think the menu's and software on the Samsung are way ahead of LG. LG's ability to receive casts is flaky, Samsung is faultless.

OK, great Feedback.

I was getting confused with the size of the motherboards so will go normal sized board to match the case size. I like that case in the link and will run it by him. I think he likes LEDs on the front or something though but don't want to skimp on the case. Overclockers are doing good prices on most things I'm looking for.

That 2700X has a much better fan than the 2700 and it's got LED's and again he's into that.

I'm still confused about case fans. Do the cases come with a basic shitty one and you upgrade? I prefer larger fan going slower for more noise but do you just start with say 1 x 140mm fan.

No drama on the CPu, not much price difference and if it keeps the peace, worth every penny.

As for fans, it depends. Most cases come with fans but some dont. Some come with good fans, some with not so good ones.
Not so good ones will still work and do the job, just might be a touch noisier. Easily replaced in the future.

Looking at the case I linked it says the following, note my selection that I have put in bold:
Cooling Front 120mm: x 2 (1 included)
- Cooling Bottom 120mm: x 1 (optional)
- Cooling Rear 120mm: x 1 (included) or 92mm x 1 (optional) or 80mm x 1 (optional)

So it looks like it comes with 2 fans included, 1x 120mm at the front and 1x 120mm at the rear.
Going by the picture they are white illuminated fans, and a bit of digging I found this:
https://www.bitfenix.com/products/chassis/atx/shadow/
They are Bitfenix Spectre white fans.
To get you started, Shadow comes fully equipped with two 120mm Spectre fans.

If you wanted to improve the case cooling get a one more and fit it
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-spectre-led-white-120mm-fan-fg-009-bx.html
But again, fairly easily done later.
Another upgrade is 'better' fans (higher quality). Noctua or similar will be much quieter, but 3 of them will cost you almost as much as the case. For now just go with the fans it comes with.

Case has internal illumination and a strip on the front that you can toggle between red or blue.

Dust filters as well, which always helps..

Found a case review: https://www.kitguru.net/components/...enix-shadow-tower-case-review-midnight-black/

At the other end of the computer spectrum I’ve just bought a 4GB Pi Starter Kit and a alloy Flirc Case to keep it cool. Been meaning to get one for ages and the PiHut Black Friday deal pushes the starter kit ahead of buying the Pi, PSU and mini-HDMI cable, individually plus throws in a SD card which is always useful.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have to say, all this cooling tech is amazing. I can see why kids are into this stuff.

image.php

I ran a mildly overclocked i7 on my desktop at work which had broken CPU fan quite successfully for about 6 months. The key was good case cooling...... Its quite amazing what you can put a CPU through. I used to design multicore CPUs

Tony

I know you have a MacBook Pro so what does the Pi do that the Mac doesn't or is it a hobbyist thing?

I know you have a MacBook Pro so what does the Pi do that the Mac doesn't or is it a hobbyist thing?

Just a hobbyist/geek thing, plus always useful to have some redundancy when it comes to IT. I’m curious if I can get a really nice Linux build that doesn’t make me swear too.

To be honest I’m uncertain as to where I’m going IT wise at the moment. I just don’t like the direction Tim Cook is taking Apple or the current MacBook Pro range, though I do very much like the iPad. As such, given my MBP is ancient (mid-2012, the last one with user accessible bays, battery, RAM etc) I’m kind of looking at alternatives for when it dies. If I could get by with an iPad Pro for 95% of my pfm and general web access (I’m using an old iPad right now and do so for almost everything) then I suspect I could live with something as basic as the Pi for pfm server admin, my accounting, typing up vinyl etc. Its all down to whether I can find a Linux I actually like! Obviously I plan to keep my existing MBP, which I really like, until it irreparably fails, but thinking of alternative strategies is probably time well spent.

Just a hobbyist/geek thing, plus always useful to have some redundancy when it comes to IT. I’m curious if I can get a really nice Linux build that doesn’t make me swear too.

To be honest I’m uncertain as to where I’m going IT wise at the moment. I just don’t like the direction Tim Cook is taking Apple or the current MacBook Pro range, though I do very much like the iPad. As such, given my MBP is ancient (mid-2012, the last one with user accessible bays, battery, RAM etc) I’m kind of looking at alternatives for when it dies. If I could get by with an iPad Pro for 95% of my pfm and general web access (I’m using an old iPad right now and do so for almost everything) then I suspect I could live with something as basic as the Pi for pfm server admin, my accounting, typing up vinyl etc. Its all down to whether I can find a Linux I actually like! Obviously I plan to keep my existing MBP, which I really like, until it irreparably fails, but thinking of alternative strategies is probably time well spent.
Hi Tony
I agree on the new MacBooks, I've got an early 2015 13" and I'll not get a new one. I also like the iPad Pro but the 12.9" with 256gb storage is very expensive and I'd have to have it with the keyboard which is another 220 euros bringing it to close to 1500 euros. I think I will run my MacBook as long as it remains usable.

advertisement

Back