advertisement

Best albums of 2019... so far

ACR:BOX just arrived... seven disks of glee
Got mine yesterday. I’m really impressed with the quality of pressing and design. It is a lovely artefact. I’ve listened through it all and am very pleased with it. It tails off a bit towards the end, but all-in-all it is a superb thing to own.

The Stereolab reissues are absolutely excellent too.

Why did no one tell me there is a new Ladytron album? Not quite album of the year so far but plenty on it to celebrate.

Got mine yesterday. I’m really impressed with the quality of pressing and design. It is a lovely artefact. I’ve listened through it all and am very pleased with it. It tails off a bit towards the end, but all-in-all it is a superb thing to own.

The Stereolab reissues are absolutely excellent too.

I’m going to the London show tonight as the icing on the cake!

I’ve only played one side so far, with the Houses in Motion tracks which are worth the price of admission alone.

I’ll look up the Stereolab reissues. I saw them in a pub in Reading many years ago and my ears were ringing all the next day which was a challenge as I was hosting a customer demonstration! I asked my buddy to tap me on the shoulder if I was shouting!

I saw them in a pub in Reading many years ago and my ears were ringing all the next day which was a challenge as I was hosting a customer demonstration! I asked my buddy to tap me on the shoulder if I was shouting!

Where was that? I think I saw them in South Street in about 1993. Mostly the pre-1995 Stereolab gigs I saw involved a trip to That London followed by the extremely misleadingly named Thames Turbo home to Reading for late night pints in either The Retreat, The Dove or The Greyhound depending on what time you arrived at...:D.

For me the Aldous Harding album is my stand out so far, with mention to the Kevin Morby album also.

Where was that? I think I saw them in South Street in about 1993. Mostly the pre-1995 Stereolab gigs I saw involved a trip to That London followed by the extremely misleadingly named Thames Turbo home to Reading for late night pints in either The Retreat, The Dove or The Greyhound depending on what time you arrived at...:D.

It was in late 1999, not long before Mary Hanson was killed, I can't remember the name of the venue other than it was at the west end of the city centre. We were right at the front, almost in the sound system hence the extended ring tone in my ears!! I'm seeing my mate who was with me then tonight and I will ask him if he knows.

I'm on a third listen to the new Big Thief record and its getting better with every play. Their Tiny Desk concert hooked me in and Masterpiece is up there with my most played songs of recent years.

This one is much gentler and folkier- but the songwriting seems even stronger. I'm pretty sure this will be on my best of list at the end of the year. Here's a taster:

Thanks for the recommendations of the Ex:Re and Weyes Blood records - both of which have been on repeat over the past month or so. This has been a great thread for recommended listening.

Kevin

Got the Big Thief record in my Qobuz list but just haven't managed to get around to it yet, looks good.

Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? in my opinion is a masterpiece :p:);), and I hardly ever rave about anything. The production and mixing is extraordinary. Apparently largely recorded in her brother's bedroom, although mixed and mastered elsewhere. Really amazing, although some people really don't like it - I guess it one of those love it or hate it.

The Felice Brothers - Undress. A major line up change with only Ian and James remaining (i.e. bye bye to the non brothers) seems to have re-invigorated them - a very very welcome return to form.

Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? in my opinion is a masterpiece :p:);), and I hardly ever rave about anything. The production and mixing is extraordinary. Apparently largely recorded in her brother's bedroom, although mixed and mastered elsewhere. Really amazing, although some people really don't like it - I guess it one of those love it or hate it.

Yes and she's only 17 years, don't think I could tie my shoes at that age.

The Felice Brothers - Undress. A major line up change with only Ian and James remaining (i.e. bye bye to the non brothers) seems to have re-invigorated them - a very very welcome return to form.

This is the first album I've not bothered to buy. Haven't picked up tickets for the tour either but when this band broke I really really got into their stuff. Maybe I'll get the album on this recommendation.

Got Josefin Ohrn and the Liberation new album which is good. Not really coming across much that I'm really really into these days.

I hear the chemical brothers new album is meant to be the best one for a while too. I'll have to get it ordered as well

Vampire Weekends new cut is going to be up there at the end of the year. It’s on repeat here this weekend. Clever, assured pop music. This one makes me a bit Emosh for some reason.

advertisement

Back