advertisement

Best albums of 2019... so far

Mentioned in another thread, the Lana Del Rey record is the best thing I've heard this year by quite a way.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/watc...norman-****ing-rockwell-acoustic-fans-2545117

and this song is the best of the year

Kevin

Karine Polwart’s Scottish Songbook has some good cover versions with nice arrangements.

I'm just on my first run through on cd - it sounds pretty compressed, shame the production values don't match the quality of the music.
Funny I thought production was not bad though some songs have a bit of Motown sound slightly distorted if that make sense. Mine is a vinyl copy I like it.

I'm just on my first run through on cd - it sounds pretty compressed, shame the production values don't match the quality of the music.

I've only listened to it on Amazon Music, where it is tagged as being Ultra HD. It sounds okay, but has a particular kind of production. The aforementioned Motown flavour is close.

Jack

I've only listened to it on Amazon Music, where it is tagged as being Ultra HD. It sounds okay, but has a particular kind of production. The aforementioned Motown flavour is close.

Jack

I explored a little further and nearly all the tracks are only measuring either 5 or 6 in the JRiver dynamic range (peak) measurement - normally this would give around 10 for an average CD track...

I explored a little further and nearly all the tracks are only measuring either 5 or 6 in the JRiver dynamic range (peak) measurement - normally this would give around 10 for an average CD track...
Sounds pretty compressed on my set up. Another case of the music industry churning out another sonically compromised album. It is times like this I wonder why the hell I care so much about audio reproduction and spend considerable amounts of hard earned cash on hi fi kit, when the end listening experience is tosh.

Michael Halsall - Oneness. He's a Manchester jazz musician. Well worth a listen. I think it was released this year though the material was written and recorded a number of years ago but not released by Halsall.

Bon Iver - I,I A really good record.

Agree re comments on Big Thief - UFOF and now they've released another record (Two Hands). I've got it on CD , only had it a couple of days but it sounds very promising.

Sounds pretty compressed on my set up. Another case of the music industry churning out another sonically compromised album. It is times like this I wonder why the hell I care so much about audio reproduction and spend considerable amounts of hard earned cash on hi fi kit, when the end listening experience is tosh.

A couple of records over recent years have sounded dire on streaming or CD but ace on vinyl - D'Angelo's Black Messiah being a case in point. It will be interesting to hear this on vinyl to see if the mastering is different.

I see there’s a one disc and a two disc version. Do you know if they’re any different sound wise?

I see there’s a one disc and a two disc version. Do you know if they’re any different sound wise?

I don't I'm afraid - I have the signed one-disc from amazon, it's to be avoided. In fact, Love & Hate on cd was nothing special either.

So far Billy Eilish is a stand out this year, FKA Twigs is also impressive. But I listen to these more often; Michael Kiwanuka, JS Ondara, Cass McCombs and the Teskey Bros.

Still missing the brooding blues of Tony Joe White with the wonderful sound reproduction.

Funny I thought production was not bad though some songs have a bit of Motown sound slightly distorted if that make sense. Mine is a vinyl copy I like it.

Sure, it’s recorded in a certain way but I’ve been streaming Qobuz and Tidal high res versions and the compression is pretty nasty. Doesn’t kill it but great evidence that mastering is far more important than sample rate, MQA or whatever.

You don’t have access to a digital version to compare to the vinyl do you? I prefer records in general unless a single CD is eight sides of vinyl but new stuff is usually warped and twice the price.

Sure, it’s recorded in a certain way but I’ve been streaming Qobuz and Tidal high res versions and the compression is pretty nasty. Doesn’t kill it but great evidence that mastering is far more important than sample rate, MQA or whatever.

You don’t have access to a digital version to compare to the vinyl do you? I prefer records in general unless a single CD is eight sides of vinyl but new stuff is usually warped and twice the price.
Should be able to stream it in the car to have a listen sound system in the car is not bad. I'm sure Q said it was recorded in analogue. I would need to read it again given Q to a mate but will have a look.

advertisement

Back