advertisement

Best albums of 2019... so far

I liked the Ex:Re recommended upthread and thought the Billie Eilish was ok but I keep on playing Soak’s new album Grimtown.
Different to her debut from 2015, ‘Before we forgot how to dream’ but I’m finding an awful lot to like. The debut was recorded when she was a teenager too, amazing.

Liking Gece by Altın Gün.

Dutch-based "Turkish Psych Folk" sounds like a novelty but it's not just mild irony making this cool: it's listenable! They interpret Anatolian folk/rock songs from the 60s and 70s. The previous album is a bit too straight i.e. Turkish restaurant ... but here the electronic keyboards bring more of the Psych into it, there's more of an indie sound too. A curious mix, I think they've found a sound. Recommended first listen song: Leyla.

(Hi-res at 7digital.)

Last edited:
ms-1.jpg

Mavis Staples - We Get By

Crazy Lixx - Forever Wild

80’s Hair Metal at its finest by these Swedish rockers!

Happy times, back when I had hair down to my backside instead of debts!!!!

Latest contender for me: “Gece” by Altin Gun. Tremendous.

This is ****ing brilliant. Cheers! Like a funky Turkish Dengue Fever.
Was wondering how and when Gece had ended up on my to-listen list: I tried 'site: pinkfishmedia.net gece' Google search on Saturday, found nothing, and assumed it was from some other source, hence my ungrateful earlier post. Kudos @johncee , am loving it.

Penny dropped thanks to @foxwelljsly 's thread https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/anatolian-prog.228273/!

It was Kevin Morby's 'Oh My God' until Bruce laid the masterpiece that is 'Western Stars' on us. Difficult to see anything bettering that.

It was Kevin Morby's 'Oh My God' until Bruce laid the masterpiece that is 'Western Stars' on us. Difficult to see anything bettering that.

Wow, you're the only other person I've seen mention it, it's blown me away that album. Plus Aldous Harding's. Tempted to get a ticket for Kevin Morby later on in the year.

Not heard the Bruce album but I've never been a fan, maybe I should try it out?

If you like West Coast rock with tinges of The Byrds/Neil Young et al then this might well be right up your street.

Gin Lady are good, for a Swedish band who appear to be playing in early '70s California. Are their other albums in the same sort of vein?

Jack

Still attempting to like Lets Rock by The Black Keys..even with late night tea and battenberg...it ain't cutting it!

Gin Lady are good, for a Swedish band who appear to be playing in early '70s California. Are their other albums in the same sort of vein?

Jack

I only know the previous album "Electric Lady", it's a tad more late 60s psyche west coast than the current one.

Recent contenders for me are
"Nunroyd Works" by Craven Faults, thumping old school synth. https://cravenfaults.bandcamp.com/album/nunroyd-works
Kokoroko, self-titled EP on Gilles P's label, lovely mellow afrobeat / jazz https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOKOROKO-VINYL/dp/B07MG12TCY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=P4Y3DKTMS3A&keywords=kokoroko&qid=1562608442&s=music&sprefix=kokoroko,aps,255&sr=1-1
The Chris Forsyth album "All Time Present" is probably still my number 1 pick though.
For best archive release the Dylan 1975 box.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The new Hot Chip, A Bath Full Of Ecstasy, is a cracking slice of pop.
Insanlar's Demedim has been getting a lot of plays. If the idea of a Turkish psych version of E2E4 (ish) sounds like your thing, give it a go

advertisement

Back