advertisement

Best albums of 2019... so far

Alex N

pfm Member
Three months into the year already, and I'll start with one that's knocked my socks off since a stream showed up on npr in advance of its release later this week:

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising

A proper start-to-finish album, heartfelt old-fashioned songs, a kind of other-worldly feel, some wobbly synths, and just great singing from Natalie Mering:

Also getting plenty of plays: Solange, Poppy Ackroyd, Ex:Re (download from November, physical release this year, so I'll include it - thanks @matt j for this one), and Deaf Center.

I've probably forgotten a couple more, and as I've definitely missed loads, I thought I'd start a thread...

What's your favourite album(s) of 2019 so far?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
For me, so far These New Puritans Inside the Rise and the new Lambchop we've been arguing about elsewhere.

From Jazz Larry Grenadier's solo bass album The Gleaners

I’ve really enjoyed the Julia Jacklin album, “Crushing”. Proper interesting singer/songwriting from start to finish. The Weyes Blood album is on my Big List Of Things To Get.

Maybe not as immediate as their brilliant debut, I suspect the new Delines album is a grower and a keeper.

I’ll second the Ex:re album, but I love Daughter, so that was a given.

The debut from Tallies is great, if you ever liked The Sunday’s, you’ll love this.

I think Sneaks new one is great, a bit more of an expanded sound than her previous, but still minimal

Deerhunter - Why hasn't everything already disappeared.
One album I keep going back to this year - dips slightly in the mid-section but an addictive listen.

Another vote for Julia Jacklin ‘Crushing’. A fantastic album with great lyrics, great production/recording and a beautiful voice.

SFW40232.jpg

Julia Jacklin here as well.

Big hopes for the new Aldous Harding and The National albums coming soon, Weyes Blood isn't on Qobuz so haven't heard much but will give it a go when they list it. The new Rozi Plain album is on pre order as well and should land soon.

Lots happening this year, enjoying it so far.

The albums that have been getting a lot of plays round our gaff:
Poppy Ackroyd - Resolve Reimagined (the original album that came out last year is also excellent)
Daniel Thorne - Lines Of Sight
LCD Soundsystem - Electric Lady Sessions (I'm particularly liking their cover of Seconds)
Snapped Ankles - Stunning Luxury
Ibibio Sound Machine - Doko Mien
Pye Corner Audio - Hollow Earth
Steve Mason - About The Light

and some EPs I've been enjoying:
Nils Frahm - Encores 2
Neil Cowley & Ben Lucas Boysen - Grains & Motes
Falty DL - If All The People Took Acid
The Underworld Drift 2 series has been pretty great as well; and free (the second collaboration with The Necks is superb)

Enjoying Jenny Lewis - On The Line. I didn't know there was a new Edwyn Collins album, now on order.

advertisement

Back