advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

Speaking as a neutral, I thought Chelsea edged the BAFTAs - Jorginho especially - but both teams antics detracted from the enjoyment of the game which was unnecessary and a pity.

Speaking as a neutral, I thought Chelsea edged the BAFTAs - Jorginho especially - but both teams antics detracted from the enjoyment of the game which was unnecessary and a pity.
From that comment I can only deduce that you don't watch much top level football as the average PL match has a lot more exaggerating, play-acting & downright cheating than the CL final did.
In particular pick any Liverpool or Man U game this season and you'll see multiple attempts by these clubs to try and con the ref into awarding a penalty - with a very decent success ratio I might add.
I thought the match on Saturday night, bearing in mind what was at stake, was in the main played in a good spirit and also unlike so many PL matches not ruined by piss poor refereeing or ridiculous VAR interventions.

From that comment I can only deduce that you don't watch much top level football as the average PL match has a lot more exaggerating, play-acting & downright cheating than the CL final did.
In particular pick any Liverpool or Man U game this season and you'll see multiple attempts by these clubs to try and con the ref into awarding a penalty - with a very decent success ratio I might add.
I thought the match on Saturday night, bearing in mind what was at stake, was in the main played in a good spirit and also unlike so many PL matches not ruined by piss poor refereeing or ridiculous VAR interventions.
In a high level game, in injury time, with a one goal lead, against a superstar side with the worlds best striker, any player not doing whatever it takes to disrupt the flow of the game and prevent the opposition developing momentum, is not doing their job as a footballer.

People who can only see ‘playacting’ in a game like the CL final that was as an exciting, skilful, tactical masterclass of football, are watching the wrong game.

Haha I think the lady protests too much.The stats numbers don't lie.
Since the introduction of VAR, pens awarded : ManU 22, City 18, Leicester 17, Chelsea 15 and Liverpool 11. From those figures Liverpool players appear to be either rather better at staying on their feet or rather worse at conning the Ref.

Haha I think the lady protests too much.
Since the introduction of VAR, pens awarded : ManU 22, City 18, Leicester 17, Chelsea 15 and Liverpool 11. From those figures Liverpool players appear to be rather better at staying on their feet or rather worse at conning the Ref.
51214866468_8ef76f9403.jpg

Haha I think the lady protests too much.The stats numbers don't lie.
Since the introduction of VAR, pens awarded : ManU 22, City 18, Leicester 17, Chelsea 15 and Liverpool 11. From those figures Liverpool players appear to be either rather better at staying on their feet or rather worse at conning the Ref.

That's fine, Liverpool just do all their diving outside of the box. At least United, City and Leicester have the tactical brain to dive in the penalty area.
The fact that its since VAR means those clubs are better at conning both the referee AND the guys in VAR, smart.

Webster is correct.

From those figures Liverpool players appear to be either rather better at staying on their feet or rather worse at conning the Ref.
Alternatively it could be that certain players reputations precede them as they try it on with such monotonous regularity and as a consequence are not now afforded the benefit of the doubt as refs are wise to it.
Either way I'm sure all genuine football fans are sick of all the diving around and play-acting that's become ingrained in the game - particularly at the top level.

Alternatively it could be that certain players reputations precede them as they try it on with such monotonous regularity and as a consequence are not now afforded the benefit of the doubt as refs are wise to it.
Either way I'm sure all genuine football fans are sick of all the diving around and play-acting that's become ingrained in the game - particularly at the top level.
If you don’t dive, you don’t get the penalty. See Patrick Bamford v Southampton

Legitimate denial of a goal scoring is a different thing to going down at the lightest touch, hanging your leg out to make contact etc though. The referee in the Bamford case should be able to award the penalty after the case but it doesn't look like they're able to do that under current rules.

Difference with that is that I'm assuming an infringement did take place but by not making the most of it Bamford was denied a penalty.
That's not the same as Salah or Fernandes being taken out by a sniper or Jamie Vardy fouling a defender and making it look like he's the one who's been fouled.;)

Anybody or any team that doesn't implement the dark arts are putting themselves, and their team at a disadvantage. I don't like it either, but it's here to stay.. that said, i remember Rodney Marsh doing it many, many moons ago, as an example, so our culture has never been lilly white.

Anybody or any team that doesn't implement the dark arts are putting themselves, and their team at a disadvantage. I don't like it either, but it's here to stay.. that said, i remember Rodney Marsh doing it many, many moons ago, as an example, so our culture has never been lilly white.

We all know that but now they have the tech to stamp it out completely. Even if it's retrospectively - just keep hitting the cheats (yeah, Sterling for us, Jesus to a degree too).

advertisement

Back