advertisement

ADAM Audio Tensor Delta's & Lavry DA11.

Ahh no, Otterburn isn't a suburb of London. Even from my birth place Oldham its a long day out. Perhaps at the 2012 Wigwam show we could have all active domestic/studio bakeoff, Adam, ATC, K&H, Barefoot etc.

spacey, aren't the amps in your old ATC 50s Class A/B, full stop, and if so dosen't that make a difference to the sound over the Adams?

spacey, aren't the amps in your old ATC 50s Class A/B, full stop, and if so dosen't that make a difference to the sound over the Adams?

No the class of A/B amps means little. Who ever makes them, regardless. The design is old, tried and tested. Class D is a just as good but both have their strengths. When mixed you kinda have the best of both...

Hi. What do you think of the things? I'm megasurprised by the size of the sound and the reach of the bass from standmounters. Love to hear the more expensive of the breed :))

Think I'll heavy up the stands over the weekend, see what happens.

I am in the US and ordered stands for the Tensor Deltas (semi-active since I already invested in the ARCAM AVR600) from Sound Anchor Inc. which were custom built and filled with something (sand?).
I used a putty on the stands to decouple.
Now, If I can figure out how to upload the pics....

Ahh no, Otterburn isn't a suburb of London. Even from my birth place Oldham its a long day out. Perhaps at the 2012 Wigwam show we could have all active domestic/studio bakeoff, Adam, ATC, K&H, Barefoot etc.

The grim northern wasteland where I live is also a little bit too far for the trip to London too. :(

Just put in a new mains spur, btw. Very much cleaner sound now, and a little more relaxed too. Bloody good stuff as it cost only £6. :eek::eek:

Even happier now! :D:D:D:D

£6 thats cheap, I assume you are a trained electrician or used one. If not don't get caught as I think this kind of DIY is no longer allowed or perhaps its just gas work.

Perhaps you could visit spacey and feedback to us all.

£6 is cheap, Ive just about finished designing and rebuilding our house. Had it completely rewired, also had a new underground 100amp supply brought into the house. Theres two 32amp/6mm spurs fitted either side of the room, so one MK double socket just behind each speaker. Looking forward to trying it out in the coming weeks. It'll be ready to move in soon :) ATM we're still in rented.

arthur, how far north are you?

£6 is cheap, Ive just about finished designing and rebuilding our house. Had it completely rewired, also had a new underground 100amp supply brought into the house. Theres two 32amp/6mm spurs fitted either side of the room, so one MK double socket just behind each speaker. Looking forward to trying it out in the coming weeks. It'll be ready to move in soon :) ATM we're still in rented.

arthur, how far north are you?

Actually I found I had a spare outlet on the mains outlet that used to run the shower that was taken out ages ago (I'd forgotten :mad:).

So all I had to do was add some new cable and an unswitched MK socket and that was that. Cheating of course! :p

And I'm moving soon anyway so I'll have to do it properly in the new flat.

Spacey i'm in Jarrow. For my sins. :(

Spacey

Sounds like a great advantage to having the ability to design/rebuild your house is you can put the power where needed not where the builder wanted it.

I live a housing co-op(like a Housing Association) and we had a lot of input into the design over 25 years ago and got some structure stuff spot on like additional sound proofing between floors including two lots of joists for the floor and ceiling which works better than most conversions of the period. What I got wrong was the power in the bedroom which is now the sitting room, there are only two double sockets and now lots of Belkin PF30's to make up the shortage. . In a one bedroom flat it was easy to swap them round as they are around the same size except the now living room is a little larger and square.

Spacey

Sounds like a great advantage to having the ability to design/rebuild your house is you can put the power where needed not where the builder wanted it.

I live a housing co-op(like a Housing Association) and we had a lot of input into the design over 25 years ago and got some structure stuff spot on like additional sound proofing between floors including two lots of joists for the floor and ceiling which works better than most conversions of the period. What I got wrong was the power in the bedroom which is now the sitting room, there are only two double sockets and now lots of Belkin PF30's to make up the shortage. . In a one bedroom flat it was easy to swap them round as they are around the same size except the now living room is a little larger and square.

Yes its a good advantage, I'm the architect/designer of our own developing company which is rebuilding and adding a 60sqM extension. I've taken everthing into consideration re the front room. I've insulated/sound proofed and the ceilings have been double boarded, all flex in timbre floors removed. The house is 150+ years old but is like new, built to last another 150 years!..

Yes its a good advantage, I'm the architect/designer of our own developing company which is rebuilding and adding a 60sqM extension. I've taken everthing into consideration re the front room. I've insulated/sound proofed and the ceilings have been double boarded, all flex in timbre floors removed. The house is 150+ years old but is like new now but built to last another 150 years!..

:eek: the green monster just bit me :p

I find it incredible that no dealer will provide a comparison of the Adams speakers against the ATC or that there is no other way of ascertaining, directly, the strengths and weaknesses of each against the other.

Everybody keeps telling me how personal speakers are and yet even the most informed take a punt then live to regret it whilst the dealer makes a profit either way.

No wonder the classifieds are always full of punters selling "incredible" speakers "3 months old" who did not like the presentation of one or other of them when an audition of such speakers is an absolute prerequisite if only for the price if for no other reason!

A visit to Scotland, to two dealers on the same day would be the nearest way i know of trying both. Audio Emotion for the ATC's and Jordan Acoustics for the ADAM's. I've bought from both and can highly recommend them.

You can upload pics via photobucket or similar and then copy/paste the 'IMG' link into a post. It's really simple.

Thanks for the help spacey; here are some photos of my Delta semi-actives on Sound Anchor stands. The stands are very heavy and dampened but I think the finish would look better glossy black but they do the job. I used a putty between the stands and speakers. I am using an ARCAM AVR600 to drive the woofer and other surround speakers (not shown).
DSC00430.jpg
DSC00428.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

Missed this post, thanks for posting ya pics.

PS, for the price difference (which is quite small IMO), why didn't you go fully active?

Missed this post, thanks for posting ya pics.

PS, for the price difference (which is quite small IMO), why didn't you go fully active?
I guess I felt I already invested in the ARCAM AVR600 and I was already over my budget so I went with the semi-active. They are just now getting broken in and sounding better than ever. I have tweaked some of the settings, repositioned, etc. as well. I find they sound better with quite a bit of toe-in and out from the wall. Do you have any tips or suggestions?

advertisement

Back