advertisement

ADAM Audio Tensor Delta's & Lavry DA11.

I've recently got myself a pair of the original Adam Audio Compacts.

I do love 'em to bits and I wonder, longingly, what the tensor's must sound like if the 'cheap' ones sound this good?

Does anyone know what type of stand Adam recommends?

Is it the hollow frame type, or some mighty heavy, solid behemoth?

I'm using Atacama 24's at the mo' half filled with sand.

I'm thinking of going the fat hog way and lobbing in a full column of concrete.

I have the same speakers and have mine on 20" Atacama stands. They look like the SE20 but a lot thicker metalwork and fully filled with sand. Did consider changing them for one of the Partington range but I think the 20" stands work the best.

spacey, these Adams speakers must be something very special after you telling me as we listened to the ATC 50s in your house that you had reached the end of the road in your search for audio nirvana!

Yerp, they truely are, if you're stll pondering over a set of active speakers you should have a listen to either the Deltas or Gammas. Theres some people on the ATC forum who have recently bought/buying ADAM Tensors, one bought a set of Gammas an another whos looking to buy a set of Deltas ... Looks like the Tensor series is making a mark for itself.

I have the same speakers and have mine on 20" Atacama stands. They look like the SE20 but a lot thicker metalwork and fully filled with sand. Did consider changing them for one of the Partington range but I think the 20" stands work the best.

Hi. What do you think of the things? I'm megasurprised by the size of the sound and the reach of the bass from standmounters. Love to hear the more expensive of the breed :))

Think I'll heavy up the stands over the weekend, see what happens.

Thats fine then isn't it. But it doesn't change the fact that you've not listen to them ...

Indeed it does not. It also doesn't change the fact that you've not compared them with anything in the same acoustic environment.

Enough, already. Bye.

I think they are excellent and in my room strong bass. They replaced PMC TB1s driven by MC2 power amp which aren't slouches but the Adams are much better. Did you get yours off Unity by the way, if so a good deal. I got mine off a Wammer who bought his from Unity and I bought them for less than he payed and under £1k. I know Adam are going to the Bristol show but its too far for me to go plus I have the Wigwam show the following weekend.

Nice silver finish ones then, I think saw those and very nice looking. Mine are maple finish which is the only thing I would change about them. They did a passive version which I think is exactly the same except for the amp module is swapped for a crossover and binding posts. I would be interested to hear or even get hold of those. That would make a very flexible speaker.

Also I think the drivers and power amps are very close in specification between the Classic range and the Tensor range so apart from the very rigid cabinet not a lot between them. Of course the Compact Classic has its own high tech front baffle which is made of honeycomb aluminium sandwich as used in the aero industry.

It's these all black one but on the black stands (which I'll be ordering soon (or making some very similar)).
These also have the honeycomb aluminium Baffles but are built into the overall finish rather than attached to the front of them.
The amps are different also IIRC. These are class D for LF/MF and class A/B for the HF. The range on these are +/-3db 32Hz to 50KHz.

Deltacolours.jpg

Sorry Spacey I got you confused with Arthur who has just bought the Compact Classics. You have the Tensor Delta's which are much more expensive but also better built and speced with only ICE modules used for the LF where as its for both on mine plus a ribbon mid range driver. Jealous of both the speakers and the Lavry DA11.

No probs, flapland. :) whats the rest of ya system?

Gone through a bit of change recently, have a a Orbe with Audiomods arm and Lyra Argo i feeding a loaned(but buying) DV P75 phono stage which is currently going into a Sonic Euphoria TVC pre-amp. The Sonic Euphoria is single ended and feeding the Adams via a RCA to Balanced adaptor but even so is very transparent and a step up from the Stello DP200 that predates it. The DP200 is also a DAC and a good one at that but as I am thinking of selling that I have a Trichord Pulsar on loan whilst I decide on options. I hopping to sell the DP200 and matching CDT200 transport and put the money towards a Music First copper which does do proper balanced. Then move onto deciding what to do about a DAC.

What do you have apart from the Delta's and Lavry.

I think they are excellent and in my room strong bass. They replaced PMC TB1s driven by MC2 power amp which aren't slouches but the Adams are much better. Did you get yours off Unity by the way, if so a good deal. I got mine off a Wammer who bought his from Unity and I bought them for less than he payed and under £1k. I know Adam are going to the Bristol show but its too far for me to go plus I have the Wigwam show the following weekend.

Hi flapland.

Yes I got mine from Unity too. Excellent people. Gave me some very fine cables quite free and gratis which saved me plenty of cash. :D

Mine are also the Maple/silver ones. I think I would have preferred piano black all round, but they are growing on me.

Going to Beeswax them tomorrow, I'm so in love.

Nice to know someone else has the things, I was beginning to believe I was unique:)

I must get to listen to some tensors eventually. Though the save up time might be forever.

Just Apple lossless files, either from a 500GB ATV1, a Dedicated Tecra M10 laptop with 1TB HDD or a (borrowed) MacMini.. A clean and simple system that allows me instant access to 1000's of albums.

Hi Arthur

Thats exactly the same as mine and the ones I nearly bought a year ago until the Wammer put his up for sale. Unity do have a good reputation and their own Rock Monitors are well reviewed and speced. If you want to go up a level you could always go back to Unity and get their ex dem S3a's.

In regard to the Tensor perhaps spacey would be willing to join one of us for a bake off. I live in a one bed flat so happy to host but volume is limited I am afraid.

advertisement

Back