advertisement

Reevaluating LP12 after Karousel

@James Just check with David Genther at Greenstreet. He is very helpful and responds quickly. I had the first GS shim and the Karousel sounds amazing. It also works with the Khan
Can you explain the purpose of the shim? Is it because the flange of the GS sub is not thick enough?

Even though I ordered a pre-Cirkus GS sub, I'm now more convinced I have the standard Cirkus sub because my platter rides about one or two millimetres lower than it used when I had the original Linn sub. I guess I'll find out for sure when I tear down my LP12 and measure the flange. Is your shim installed below between the Karousel body and the sub, or above between the sub and locknut? That would also affect the platter ride height.

The main reason I chickened out of doing the Cirkus upgrade waaaaaay back in the late 90s was because my dealer said the ARO sounded better with the pre-Cirkus bearing. Not sure that holds much water now that my LP12 has been Kloned and Khaned. I think the next upgrade will be the Karousel.

I see that the Karousel comes with new grommets and springs. Is a new belt also included?

I think you will find it’s £4900...
That is quite simply ridiculous & I would never pay it. I’ve had an LP12 for about 20 years, I really like it but if I was chucking that money around I would look at other options. Personally, I’ve always fancied an SME but people are free to make other choices.

Can you explain the purpose of the shim? Is it because the flange of the GS sub is not thick enough?

Even though I ordered a pre-Cirkus GS sub, I'm now more convinced I have the standard Cirkus sub because my platter rides about one or two millimetres lower than it used when I had the original Linn sub. I guess I'll find out for sure when I tear down my LP12 and measure the flange. Is your shim installed below between the Karousel body and the sub, or above between the sub and locknut? That would also affect the platter ride height.

No idea how the shim fits to be honest. My dealer explained to David what the problem was, he engineered a shim, and sent it direct to the dealer to save time. I’m a simple chap - I don’t need to know how it’s fixed - as long as it sounds great :D. David at GS will be able to answer your questions - he’s bought a Karousel too! Email tonight and you’ll have a reply waiting for you in the morning.....

Stiletto is about £2k, it needs to be good.

This has just made me very sad. I wanted to learn more about Stiletto and found this page, which promises a demonstration from Derek Jenkins (http://www.kjwestone.co.uk/collection/stiletto/overview). Such a nice geezer. Only the good die young. How I would love to have a chat and a cigarette with him now. You don't know what you have til it's gone. God rest his soul.

No idea how the shim fits to be honest. My dealer explained to David what the problem was, he engineered a shim, and sent it direct to the dealer to save time. I’m a simple chap - I don’t need to know how it’s fixed - as long as it sounds great :D. David at GS will be able to answer your questions - he’s bought a Karousel too! Email tonight and you’ll have a reply waiting for you in the morning.....
I've done that and David has replied too. It seems like you were one of his beta testing subjects. He's finalising his shim soon and I'll get one of those before I pull the trigger on a Karousel.

This has just made me very sad. I wanted to learn more about Stiletto and found this page, which promises a demonstration from Derek Jenkins (http://www.kjwestone.co.uk/collection/stiletto/overview). Such a nice geezer. Only the good die young. How I would love to have a chat and a cigarette with him now. You don't know what you have til it's gone. God rest his soul.
Yes one of the good guys definitely !
I went to the presentation at kJ west one when it was demonstrated and it was great to hear it and chat with him after
Greatly missed

I knew Derek Jenkins from 1981 when he was working in The Sound Organisation in the Borough. I’ve used him ever since top man on an LP 12 and with his partner Mark Digman formed Tangerine Audio. He installed my Stiletto LP 12 in late 2016 a great upgrade for me, Derek is sorely missed by me and countless others R.I.P.

Regards,

Martin

Derek is and will be missed by many, I was lucky to get him to visit my Camberwell home to set up a Funk Vector LP12 etc and watching him work was very interesting. He just made it look so easy and he had it all down to pure skill, experience and a fine art and my wife and I just kept the fresh coffee going for him. A lovely gentle chap to talk to as my (then 2 year old) daughter said to me and we all chatted en route to Camberwell train station.

Derek was the very man who did the Keel demo I referred to above and where I heard a Lingo 1 v Lingo 2 side by side too. He was a big fan of Focal Diablo speakers too

MarK D is a good guy too. I got hold of one of his Khan prototypes (seems to be a habit of mine - Khan, GS shim!)

I've done that and David has replied too. It seems like you were one of his beta testing subjects. He's finalising his shim soon and I'll get one of those before I pull the trigger on a Karousel.

It's nice to be referred to as a beta testing subject :D. I must see my GP about that....

@James Is David charging for the shims or free to existing GS owners? Any idea whether he's changing the design of his GS in future to be Karousel Kompatible sans shim?

@James Is David charging for the shims or free to existing GS owners? Any idea whether he's changing the design of his GS in future to be Karousel Kompatible sans shim?
US$35 plus $3 postage. I suppose it's fair enough that he needs to recover costs, time and effort.

I did not ask whether he was going to change the Klone design to be fully compatible with Karousel.

I'm not sure if the Karousel improves the LP12 sound but I'm sure, the first reason of this upgrade, is to increase the firm profits (if many fishies bite). I have cirkused and late pre-cirkused LP12s. I like both even if they sound differently. The endless chain of updates has been boring me for some time.

I'm not sure if the Karousel improves the LP12 sound but I'm sure, the first reason of this upgrade, is to increase the firm profits (if many fishies bite). I have cirkused and late pre-cirkused LP12s. I like both even if they sound different. The endless chain of updates has been boring me for some time.
Yep, your right, every five bloody minutes Linn come out with another update!

Yep, your right, every five bloody minutes Linn come out with another update!

Karousel offers a nice opportunity to find a Cirkus at a clearance price.
IMHO, Linn updates are good for buy discarded parts at a very low price. Very soon the Karousel will become obsolete and then I will take a look for one.

advertisement

Back