advertisement

Reevaluating LP12 after Karousel

I'm still struggling to see why the OP wants to know if any non LP12 owners have reevaluated their opinions?

I'm struggling to see why thats a difficult idea to grasp?

Lots of people hold opinions based on how LP12s sounded 30,20,10 years or even six months ago, these opinions are now hopelessly out of date.

Lots of people hold opinions based on how LP12s sounded 30,20,10 years or even six months ago, these opinions are now hopelessly out of date.

surely if you don’t own one the chances of hearing the latest upgrade must be fairly slim.

if you’re happy with it what else matters?

OK, true, many people hold opinions on all sorts of stuff that others consider out of date. So what?

But their Sondekless lives were entirely hopeless before the Feast of St Karousel, so their hopelessness can not have increased ;-)

Why not celebrate ‘The Feast of Linn’ and dedicate it to Saint Ivor of Tiefenbrun ?

I don’t worry about going to the Circus and a ride on the Carousel.
Playing records and listening to music is much more pleasurable.

When I got the karouseld LP12 back, I was immediately impressed at the improvement in clarity, detail resolution and thereby realism. I felt that it was probably the biggest instantly identifiable improvement to date, over and above the previous increases in resolution caused when I moved to a Circus bearing, and then to a lingo 4 (from a Lingo 1) and the change to a Linn Krystal cartridge. Each change having wrought greater improvements in resolution, but not to the degree that I perceived the new bearing to have made.
Having lived with it for a few weeks, however, I’m less aware of the improvement, only that that it just sounds musical and natural. But in retrospect any change, and perceived improvement, quickly gets forgotten.
One downside I have identified, however, appears to be that flaws in less than pristine albums, be it a degree of wear, or the presence of minor clicks and pops, seem to be thrown into higher relief. Has anyone else noticed this effect. Or is it my imagination?

When I got the karouseld LP12 back, I was immediately impressed at the improvement in clarity, detail resolution and thereby realism. I felt that it was probably the biggest instantly identifiable improvement to date, over and above the previous increases in resolution caused when I moved to a Circus bearing, and then to a lingo 4 (from a Lingo 1) and the change to a Linn Krystal cartridge. Each change having wrought greater improvements in resolution, but not to the degree that I perceived the new bearing to have made.
Having lived with it for a few weeks, however, I’m less aware of the improvement, only that that it just sounds musical and natural. But in retrospect any change, and perceived improvement, quickly gets forgotten.
One downside I have identified, however, appears to be that flaws in less than pristine albums, be it a degree of wear, or the presence of minor clicks and pops, seem to be thrown into higher relief. Has anyone else noticed this effect. Or is it my imagination?
The curse of all systems as they become more revealing I’m afraid. Not your imagination.

The only major downside I have had to contend with is the difficulty I now experience in listening to digital. It’s so veiled and vague by comparison I’m considering giving up on it.

Yes, thats exactly what an at best -80db snr ratio front end delivers vs a -120db snr one, of course. Enjoy your bearing noise, rumble, wow and flutter, surface noise, tracing angle error, phase distortion and 35db channel separation.

Cheerio.

How does Karousel on an original pressed steel and bonded sub-chassis sound compared to pre-Cirkus on a Keel or GS Klone?

For those who have heard the new bearing how would you describe it character-wise? I played around for weeks trying to decide between a Cirkus and pre-Cirkus bearing and would describe the early as warm, stereotypically ‘rose-tinted analogue’, bouncy and fun, the Cirkus as brighter, tighter, leaner and grippier pushing more midband and treble detail to the fore, plus it seemed to lower surface noise a bit. I must have rebuilt the deck about 5 or 6 times! I struggled with it as there were things about both I really liked, plus I was using a classic Naim/Kans rig so the rose-tinted warmth of the early bearing was arguably a big strength, it would likely have been a far easier win for the Cirkus with my current huge and weighty sounding Tannoys. I eventually went with the Cirkus, but always had doubts I’d made the right decision. Is the Karousel further along on that ‘brighter/tighter’ trajectory?

PS I do like the mounting method and the defined fitting torque, looks like a better way of doing it that the often over-tightened three allen bolts.

It’s smooth as silk. Quite beguiling in its natural presentation. It’s strengths are in its timing and ability to keep all the different strands of the music together in a manner that’s really easy to listen to.

It’s almost less pyrotechnic than cirkus but the layers of subtlety just keep coming.

it’s not like it abandons the LP12s previous abilities but it does feel like in order to move forward they’ve changed tack.

Dave intrigued by your post.

Have a lower spec LP12 - Majik with Akito a new AT95 ML cartridge.It's been back a month from a full dealer service with new belt,mat and springs and grommets.It's sounding like a new deck.Just been playing loads of my vinyl and smiling discovering new detail,zest in performance and to my ears the sheer musicality of what the LP12 breaths into my vinyl collection.I could listen for hours and often do at weekends but work constraints in the week stop this.I know there are better decks out there but enjoy what the Linn does and this is my third I have owned over a 30 year affair with the LP12 some higher spec..Ittok Troika etc.
But in a really happy place with it.Did think of a future LIngo 4 as an upgrade but all the positivity of the Karosel I have read not just on PFM but other forums I am seriously temped.
I am lucky that the money is there for a Karosel and at half the cost of a Lingo 4 do you think I should just get it done as what I have read its a massive upgrade even with lower spec LP12's like mine ?

Dave intrigued by your post.

Have a lower spec LP12 - Majik with Akito a new AT95 ML cartridge.It's been back a month from a full dealer service with new belt,mat and springs and grommets.It's sounding like a new deck.Just been playing loads of my vinyl and smiling discovering new detail,zest in performance and to my ears the sheer musicality of what the LP12 breaths into my vinyl collection.I could listen for hours and often do at weekends but work constraints in the week stop this.I know there are better decks out there but enjoy what the Linn does and this is my third I have owned over a 30 year affair with the LP12 some higher spec..Ittok Troika etc.
But in a really happy place with it.Did think of a future LIngo 4 as an upgrade but all the positivity of the Karosel I have read not just on PFM but other forums I am seriously temped.
I am lucky that the money is there for a Karosel and at half the cost of a Lingo 4 do you think I should just get it done as what I have read its a massive upgrade even with lower spec LP12's like mine ?
Yes.

advertisement

Back