advertisement

Reevaluating LP12 after Karousel

The most significant improvements I've made to my LP12s cost me nothing. These consist of removing pieces and not replacing them. Eliminating any type of base, power supply board, internal phono preamplifiers and lightening it as much as possible everything sounds much better. But if everyone does just that, Linn goes bankrupt. If you want Ivor even richer empty your wallet following his commercial policy.

I was very sceptical about this "upgrade" spend 3K and get it free, almost a BOGOF, buy for example a Kandid you wont know what is causing the SQ increase.

Curiosity got the better of me, as my LP12 is at Klimax level I just did the Karousel in isolation. I have to say that having upgraded my deck over many years and thinking it cant get any better I am genuinely amazed, of all the upgrades I have experienced over the years this stands out as the biggest improvement I have ever made. I really cant believe what I am hearing.

This is my second LP12 and the Cirkus was 27 years old so maybe a little worn. The only original part is the outer platter.

I very rarely post but I feel this is so massive an improvement in all areas of performance I had to. In terms of sound per pound its off the scale.

In the words of Nike "just do It"

Now does any owner feels this runs in as mine has about 15 hours of playing on it. I don't think it could possibly get ant better but I've said that before.

A dear friend of mine (he is a audio dealer) has an updated sondek at home as reference turntable. When he got the Keel "friendly" told me: the improvement doesn't worth the price.
The last upgrade I bought 27 years ago was a Cirkus kit. At that time I was a novice in audio and I runned from a dealer to the other to get my TT correctly set up. It didn't sound good for years, until I learned to do it myself. With the parts replaced with the update I built another Sondek that doesn't sound worse that the original but only differently. I think different doesn't mean better. I like a lot both!

A dear friend of mine (he is a audio dealer) has an updated sondek at home as reference turntable. When he got the Keel "friendly" told me: the improvement doesn't worth the price.
The last upgrade I bought 27 years ago was a Cirkus kit. At that time I was a novice in audio and I runned from a dealer to the other to get my TT correctly set up. It didn't sound good for years, until I learned to do it myself. With the parts replaced with the update I built another Sondek that doesn't sound worse that the original but only differently. I think different doesn't mean better. I like a lot both!

I really think you should sell it and move on, as your view on business, Linn and cynical outlook is tiresome and frankly wrong. I suggest actually no one cares either.
So know one should buy the upgrades and Linn should go bust, and that is beneficial to who ????????

At some point I will buy a Karousel, probably 2 as I have two LP12's, I don't have have to, it will be my choice as I would like to. My dealer is also excellent, well done Linn for giving me choice over the years. Long may they continue and succeed.

Im really not interested in further comment from those with a bone to pick.

@Luca Please take your agenda elsewhere

On the subject of Karousel bedding in, it took mine about a week, it sounded great from the beginning but one day everything just clicks into place and it gets amazing. I’ve spent £300 on new vinyl this week and I’ve been playing stuff I’ve not listened to in years.

I was very sceptical about this "upgrade" spend 3K and get it free, almost a BOGOF, buy for example a Kandid you wont know what is causing the SQ increase.

Curiosity got the better of me, as my LP12 is at Klimax level I just did the Karousel in isolation. I have to say that having upgraded my deck over many years and thinking it cant get any better I am genuinely amazed, of all the upgrades I have experienced over the years this stands out as the biggest improvement I have ever made. I really cant believe what I am hearing.

This is my second LP12 and the Cirkus was 27 years old so maybe a little worn. The only original part is the outer platter.

I very rarely post but I feel this is so massive an improvement in all areas of performance I had to. In terms of sound per pound its off the scale.

In the words of Nike "just do It"

Now does any owner feels this runs in as mine has about 15 hours of playing on it. I don't think it could possibly get ant better but I've said that before.
Hi, yes it does get better, I think around 40hrs. It then seems stable (my ears, my system, my room e.t.c). I would also advise on checking the oil level after ‘run in’. I set mine at the required 2mm from the top of the sub platter initially, after 30 or so hours it had dropped quite a bit, requiring another 8 drops or so. Where did the oil go? Was concerned, so stripped off the base board, no leaks from the new bottom union at all. I can only assume the answer is air. When fitting the sub platter to the pre Cirkus bearing, it used to take an age to settle. The Cirkus was almost instantaneous. The Karousel was somewhere in the middle, with lots of gurgling as it went down!

The most significant improvements I've made to my LP12s cost me nothing. These consist of removing pieces and not replacing them. Eliminating any type of base, power supply board, internal phono preamplifiers and lightening it as much as possible everything sounds much better. But if everyone does just that, Linn goes bankrupt. If you want Ivor even richer empty your wallet following his commercial policy.

I rather suspect the LP12 is a small part of Linn's turnover. Certainly when I visited the factory a few years ago the LP12 assembly area was very small compared to that for speakers and electronics.

You need to do more research and not base comments on bias.

I am my own Linn person here in the Canaries, having stripped down and rebuilt my own several times since new and those of the only other two Linnies on the island I know, both mates of mine. Linn España folded some time back. Does this mean I can´t buy a Karousel. What a shame ! Perhaps if I pay for someone to come over here and do the job. Bloody crazy. Or are they worried about having to charge a bit less after discounting the labour cost. I usually charge my mates a glass of wine and cheese when we sit down and listen after doing the honours, so shall we say 500 quid. (Expensive cheese).

I am my own Linn person here in the Canaries, having stripped down and rebuilt my own several times since new and those of the only other two Linnies on the island I know, both mates of mine. Linn España folded some time back. Does this mean I can´t buy a Karousel. What a shame ! Perhaps if I pay for someone to come over here and do the job. Bloody crazy. Or are they worried about having to charge a bit less after discounting the labour cost. I usually charge my mates a glass of wine and cheese when we sit down and listen after doing the honours, so shall we say 500 quid. (Expensive cheese).
There’s a Linn dealer in Germany that will ship one to you. Check on a certain auction site. Nice bloke, good prices.

My dream/fantasy, move to the Canaries, Fuerteventura and open a Linn HiFi shop....... Sadly I don't think I would have many customers.
Anyway I would think you would find a dealer or two in the UK that would send a kit over for your to DIY install. I plan to do that on my second LP12 one day, which I've built myself.

I rather suspect the LP12 is a small part of Linn's turnover. Certainly when I visited the factory a few years ago the LP12 assembly area was very small compared to that for speakers and electronics.

You need to do more research and not base comments on bias.

Did you happen to know me? What do you want to know about the research I did?
;)

I'm sorry if my comments hurt some Sondek owner and Linn employees. I feel me free to write my thinking and so I do.

advertisement

Back