advertisement

Reevaluating LP12 after Karousel

I’ve a karousel put to one side for me (2021 price) and am about to book it in for fitting & cartridge check.
I’m just PRAYING that it fits to my sub chassis, it’s a Tiger Paw Akkula (sounds marvellous). Fingers crossed!

Derek is and will be missed by many, I was lucky to get him to visit my Camberwell home to set up a Funk Vector LP12 etc and watching him work was very interesting. He just made it look so easy and he had it all down to pure skill, experience and a fine art and my wife and I just kept the fresh coffee going for him. A lovely gentle chap to talk to as my (then 2 year old) daughter said to me and we all chatted en route to Camberwell train station.

I find this very interesting having bought, sold and set up/serviced rather a lot of Sondeks. The only one I've ever regretted selling was the fully Funk Vectored one.
Would seem Derek was a tad more open minded than some folks on here. A fly on the wall re conversation between him and Arthur K would have been interesting to say the least!
Never had any dealings with Derek but in my dealings with Arthur, couldn't say a bad word about him. As one of the earliest adopters of his Vectored kit for my LP 12, kept in constant touch re my opinions and sent me numerous upgrades free of charge as it developed.
Would still sit beside my Oracle had I not needed the funds and if anyone thinks an LP 12 is hard to set up, dismantle, box and ship.. then pray the customer has a clue, hence the sale of 'customized' or 'vandalized',lol, LP 12. Fully Vectored LP 12/Zeta/ZYX in a custom build plinth was thing of real beauty and sounded superb. Older Oracle Delphi (with war wounds, survived an Earthquake in California), Kuzma Ref, arm and Koestu was worth way less in resale and needing the bucks, the Funked one went.
Have to say, of the various mates that listened, they preferred the Oracle. Never been sure I agreed, the Vectored Linn was an utter revelation.
All down to synergy of deck, arm, cartridge. Mounted a Kuzma Stogi/Benz Glider on my Oracle for set up/transport to go on an LP 12 and had I not committed to selling the arm/cart would have went nowhere. Blew my mind and cheaper than my current set up. With tables, you live and learn.
I've also learnt over the years that a lot of folk spending ludicrous money on turntables do not have a basic clue how to set them up, often with disastrous consequences!
Sorry if it's a bit off topic, not a Linn hater, been to their Factory to 'learn' how to set one up. All I learnt was that some are utter pigs and some are a dawdle to set up.
The one they gave me that day should have been consigned to the bucket as not withstanding all their special tools, it defied me to get the bounce.
Enjoyed the ones that passed thru but can't understand the blinkered approach to alternative tables and seriously can't understand why a decent set up could cost more than any cars I've ever owned.. it's a mugs game these days, happily out of it.

I’ve a karousel put to one side for me (2021 price) and am about to book it in for fitting & cartridge check.
I’m just PRAYING that it fits to my sub chassis, it’s a Tiger Paw Akkula (sounds marvellous). Fingers crossed!

You'll be fine :) I have a Karousel on my Akula. It's very close but it fits with no problem (and sounds very good!)

My last LP12 was kitted out with Tiger Paw parts, and they are excellent
The subchassis is a nice design (mine was for the Aro) but the top plate was the real eye opener....what a nice improvement that made

All the same....glad I'm out of it !

My last LP12 was kitted out with Tiger Paw parts, and they are excellent
The subchassis is a nice design (mine was for the Aro) but the top plate was the real eye opener....what a nice improvement that made

All the same....glad I'm out of it !

You mean you’ve sold your LP12? If so what did you replace it with?

Replaced my well spec'd LP12 with a Rega P8

More than happy with it

Ah good stuff.

I’ve heard one at a friends and that sounded really nice but have never done any sort of direct comparison with a LP12. Like most I’ve had mine for a long time and always been happy with it. Were I looking for a new deck I’m not sure I’d buy a Linn nowadays as there is a range of excellent decks that possibly represent better VFM.

I'd be really interested in hearing your views if you get round to doing the comparison.

I did the swap and have just been listening to the deck with the Karousel back in....

It was quite interesting to go back to the Cirkus + Tranquility for a bit. A larger downgrade than I expected actually - You really miss the dynamics and punch of the Karousel and going back to the Cirk / Tranq does feel like a decent step backwards. Cymbals and high freq stuff is much more vague on the Cirkus / Tranq and listening to tracks with double bass in particular, the bass is a touch more fluffy compared with the rather sharp and deep bass tones of the Karousel (sharp as in tightly defined, not as in off pitch!) The soundstage and placement of instruments with the Karousel is very good too but I do think the Tranquility has *something* in the low level detail and depth of soundstage in that area that I enjoyed hearing again. It's a small detail (like 5% or something) but it does do something that the Karousel doesn't, I think (on my system and for my taste, at least!)

Given a level comparison, I don't think anyone would ever prefer the Cirkus + Tranquility to the Karousel:The Karousel really is quite a bit better. However I do think it would be nice to try the Karousel with Tranquility to see what benefits it could bring. I'm looking into it but it's not straightforward...

I believe you need to lop the top 3mm off the nut that tightens the Karousel down down thereby allow in the spindle to reach down to the bottom of its well or find a suitably sized nut.

I believe you need to lop the top 3mm off the nut that tightens the Karousel down down thereby allow in the spindle to reach down to the bottom of its well or find a suitably sized nut.

Yes, it needs a replacement top nut. Well since you brought it up :D I'll use this opportunity to advertise my thread in the DIY section. I've drawn up a potential adapter piece and posted it there but would be great to have feedback or advice on where to get something like this made.

Here's the Tranquility / Karousel Adapter thread: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...-threaded-top-cap-please.264863/#post-4607582

I had hoped that we had heard the last of the derisible Tranquillity downgrade.

I can think of nothing more nonsensical than butchering a perfectly good Karousel in order to make it sound worse.

David, you seem like a decent enough bloke but it does get a bit tedious after a while.

Other people have different taste than you and I think we ought to encourage and discuss DIY, designing workarounds and experimentation with our gear rather than blanket poo-pooing of anything that doesn't exactly conform to our own individual ideals.

There's no butchering. The top cap would simply be swapped for a different one. The existing top cap is unharmed :)

David, you seem like a decent enough bloke but it does get a bit tedious after a while.

Other people have different taste than you and I think we ought to encourage and discuss DIY, designing workarounds and experimentation with our gear rather than blanket poo-pooing of anything that doesn't exactly conform to our own individual ideals.

There's no butchering. The top cap would simply be swapped for a different one. The existing top cap is unharmed :)

Totally agree and in my experience the Tranquility boosted the performance of my LP12. Completely retrofittable so nothing to dislike really. Many others also have/had positive things to say about it.

advertisement

Back