advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Just imagine if we get one of those very cold winters, like 2010 with temps in the negative teens of centigrade. It really does not bear thinking about.

Frightening , we had our first experience of the baillifs at a family members flat...thats going to be a very common and frightenibg experience for even more people

Just had LBC on on the car (filled up at 179.9 so coming down a bit). Someone said their small business electricity costs were going from £15K to about £50K come October (didn’t catch the exact amount), along with an £18K (I think) increase in business rates. Suggested it would be better closing up for a year, which would put a bunch of people out of a job. Once this cycle starts, all bets are off.

I've always been on variable rates but have just opted for a 1yr fixed rate of £3100 for my combined energy starting October.
It's pretty much 3 times what I was paying a couple of years ago but seemed like an unreasonable deal I couldn't refuse.

I've always been on variable rates but have just opted for a 1yr fixed rate of £3100 for my combined energy starting October.
It's pretty much 3 times what I was paying a couple of years ago but seemed like an unreasonable deal I couldn't refuse.

Our daughter advised us to take a 2 year fix last October; her bucket of brownie points is overflowing.

Our daughter advised us to take a 2 year fix last October; her bucket of brownie points is overflowing.

Same here - 2 year fixed last September, and solar panels so £’s in credit which is being redirected to help our son and his gf who moved into their own place last year - and they fixed too!

Congratulations on your frugality but meanwhile everyone else is having to pay to fund it.

It seems so long ago now that we had a bad winter but if we do get one this year and people attempt to bypass their meter, we could be in for a complete shiitstorm of houses exploding due to gas leaks.

Could be coincidence but there seems a be a spate of it happening already.

if you have a hot water cylinder the boiler it will almost NEVER condense

Surely any such boiler will only heat the hot water when required and there should be a "mode" for this independent of what you set the boiler for wrt to central heating demand??

The condensing boiler we had in fitted in 2002 had this facility although granted it wasn't a combi.

Regards

Richard

There was a gas explosion last week somewhere down south but it wasn't natural gas that caused that one (think it might have been chemicals making drugs) the one in London the other day was a fractured gas main apparently, the one with the child that died in Sunderland or around there at the beginning of the year was some nutter cutting a gas main in thier own house with an angle grinder and there was another one recently where a older guy slashed a gas cooker hose with a Stanley knife.

No doubt there will be loads more this winter.

There's also the madman who replaced the energy company's gas and electic meters with his own meters, the energy company cut him off in the street just yesterday I think, God only knows what he was all about.

Apparently he'll have to pay £3000 to have his service re-instated and he has to pay a £2000 bond.

£4,266 from January. It was £1,277 this time last year and is currently £1,971 (and we thought that was a big jump…). Putin must be laughing pretty hard, he doesn’t need missiles to hurt the west.

Let's remember that energy prices were already on the way up before Putin's Ukraine adventure, so the war is making a bad situation even worse. What was the reason given back in September '21 for price hikes?

I’ve been saying for years that public transport, energy and water should be run by a not for profit companies but have always been called a commie for my views. To me it makes sense but what do I know.

Makes sense to me too. At the moment, BP et al are extracting gas from UK-owned oil fields, flogging it to the highest bidder on the international market and us mugs are paying profit-making energy companies to buy back our own gas at top dollar.

The whole point of state-owned energy companies is to provide energy security for the country and to maintain control over the price paid by citizens for essential energy needs.

I'm starting to wonder if the national mood could turn fairly ugly come winter.

On another note; if you ask to have your electricity supply voluntarily cut off, do you pay no more standing charges?

Edit:
This is a useful site:
https://enact.lcp.energy

On another note; if you ask to have your electricity supply voluntarily cut off, do you pay no more standing charges?

Why would you want your electricity cut off?

I think there is little doubt. I fear that there could be a lot of deaths this winter if we have a cold winter (which is almost guaranteed in the northern states of the US).

I have been wondering for weeks why the US and UK governments are not treating the coming winter heating crisis like the crisis it really is. Why are they not pointing out that we're in an (economic) war with Russia, and since we're in a war situation the normal market rules do not apply. Energy companies should be profitable but not to the extent we're seeing. It's time to enact wartime powers to cap prices and ration usage. Why the f*ck are we not hearing about this from our governments?

The latest chap interviewed on this excellent podcast made it clear that in his opinion it is being treated with the seriousness of an impending war within the EU (particularly Germany and Italy):

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/surviving-putins-energy-war/id1593634121?i=1000575301835

“I worry about the UK because there isn’t a sense of urgency on how to deal with the energy crisis.”

I guess another Brexit benefit will be massive profits for energy companies while the bodies pile up from hypothermia and related causes (cold houses increase heart attacks and strokes). Good job the EU isn't telling the UK what to do !?

advertisement

Back