advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Good Morning All,

As a wee reminder the type of reactor being built at Hinkley has experienced 10-12yr delays coming on stream in France/ Finland (just read the Finnish one is now connected to the grid but only at a low level output).

So if Hinkley was due 2024 then add the above 10yrs delay and we're looking at 2034............. no quick fix available there me thinks!

Regards

Richard

They’ve just shut Hinkley B down haven’t they? Doesn’t sound too good to me.

They’ve just shut Hinkley B down haven’t they? Doesn’t sound too good to me.

Yes there are only four sites left producing in the UK and France is in a worse situation than this time last year. Southern Norway is very low on water so export cannot continue on that cable for too much longer.

Ironically I'm on a Norwegian ship at the moment and the Master comes from the northern end of the country where, apparently, they still have lots of cheap hydro power available.............

We're burning gas right now to export energy to France/ Norway:-

ep7IU1x.png

Regards

Richard

I'd noticed that we're exporting electricity to Norway, I assume this is so lots of profit can be made for the gas company due the extortionate price of gas.

Credit cards are the devil's work for many.
Only if you don't keep track/accounts. Nowadays (I'm told) you can query each transaction; unfortunately (I'm told) I can't 'cos I ain't got a smart phone. I have to wait for the statement, which in these £100 pin-less days, is a security risk. I really don't see why access is restricted like that.

Cash is also a risk; a pain also, 'cos you've got to obtain it and walk around with it. The credit card is the best purchasing invention ever, in my book, with no downsides if you're diligent. If you're hopeless with financial prudence, as many are, then I agree; it's the gateway to a debt mountain.

Not everything is going up in price. Car insurance renewal just landed, 11% less than last year.

That's a relief, because I've recently read that most insurances (travel, home, etc. ) are going or have gone up.

i had dinner next to bma in london a few days ago , i thought how the heck do these waiters afford to live anywhere ? 23k is very low i would have thought

They live in a house share. I have plenty of friends in their forties still renting a room in a shared house because that's all anyone can afford doing a job that pays London Living Wage - £11.05/hour. Approx £20k/year if you never take a day off.

Cash is also a risk; a pain also, 'cos you've got to obtain it and walk around with it.

Not really; almost all 'cash' purchases are contactless these days. Prior to contactless, £50 cash would last me less than a week, these days it can last several months.

I know of few if any shops that don't do contactless, but an increasing number are refusing to take paper money.

Our oil club orders are due to go in this week so I'm currently trying to decide if we top our tank up (which is about half-full) at around 87p per litre (down from 96p in May but higher than the 59p it was when we last topped up in February) or wait and see if it goes down further as we have enough oil at the moment to last until the November order.

Our oil club orders are due to go in this week so I'm currently trying to decide if we top our tank up (which is about half-full) at around 87p per litre (down from 96p in May but higher than the 59p it was when we last topped up in February) or wait and see if it goes down further as we have enough oil at the moment to last until the November order.
I’d wait til later in the year. The US has almost filled its reserves, and the world is heading for a recession. I think the current trend for energy prices to fall will continue.

Texas crude prices so far this year:
January 87
February 94
March 104
April 104
May 117
June 107
July 98
August 88

Just a reminder for those of us with combi boilers:

https://www.theheatinghub.co.uk/articles/turn-down-the-boiler-flow-temperature

Free, safe, easy, reversible.

Sadly most installs form 10/15 years ago fall into this category;

" In nearly all households the boiler can only supply one temperature, which has to be the higher temperature for hot water safety, i.e. 70degC. It is a sad fact that if you have a hot water cylinder the boiler it will almost NEVER condense! In other words, most boilers that work with a hot cylinder are no where near efficient."

So be very careful.

" In nearly all households the boiler can only supply one temperature, which has to be the higher temperature for hot water safety, i.e. 70degC. It is a sad fact that if you have a hot water cylinder the boiler it will almost NEVER condense! In other words, most boilers that work with a hot cylinder are no where near efficient."

So be very careful.
Well, if people read the link, they will be safe.

Not really; almost all 'cash' purchases are contactless these days.

Sorry, Joe; I interpreted 'cash' literally, not debit card, which to my mind is still a card, where the purchases still take 2 to 3 days to debit your current acc't, although 'recognised' as pending. Still means that you could go overdrawn, whereas if you already have the cash (and it didn't go overdrawn), you're okay.

Think this incessant heat is getting to me ! :(

Last edited:
They live in a house share. I have plenty of friends in their forties still renting a room in a shared house because that's all anyone can afford doing a job that pays London Living Wage - £11.05/hour. Approx £20k/year if you never take a day off.

Is there any reason in particular why your friends wouldn't try seeking opportunities outside of London? Where the cost of living is at least a bit more sustainable and may offer them a bit of life. That sounds like a pretty soul destroying existence to me, I feel for them tbh

Is there any reason in particular why your friends wouldn't try seeking opportunities outside of London? Where the cost of living is at least a bit more sustainable and may offer them a bit of life. That sounds like a pretty soul destroying existence to me, I feel for them tbh

Quite a few people have done just that.

For many, much of the the point of working in London is better pay.

In my working life there was usually more demand for telecom services there (and other far away places) so I often ended up working in the capital, compensated by increased allowances. I could find economical digs (often old lady's spare rooms) and still be better off.

After 20 years living out of a suitcase and having bought a nice house in Norfolk, I got a less demanding local delivery job and enjoyed being home at nights.

So be very careful.

Fitting a heat only Viessmann next month on a job. I’ll be using the weather comp option with it so the flow temperature will be higher when it’s heating the cylinder. Good bit of kit. I’m not certain other manufacturers do this with a heat only boiler.

Only for combis? If not, it seems that what you're saying is that with an indirect system with a hot water cylinder, the benefits of condensing bare unlikely to be realised. I'm interested because my ancient Potterton needs replacement and my cylinder is large (airing cupboard, power shower via cylinder etc.)

advertisement

Back