advertisement

When I was a kid, "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" used to crack me up but I guess that humour hasn't aged very well.

Same here, I thought it was a funny film.

I tried to watch it a few years ago, and it wasn’t good.

One of my life ambitions was to visit the ultra steep bendy street in San Francisco , Lombard Street that features in It’s A Mad, Mad.... film.

About 22 years ago I won a competition on The Big Breakfast, the prize being a week in San Fran with £500 spending money. We were put up in a fancy suite in The Francis Drake hotel next to Union square. I got to visit Lombard Street and walk up it. Very steep as everything is there :)

Monte Carlo or Bust! (1969)

and

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines (1965)

are two films that as a child would crack me up.

Nowadays they are more of historical interest than in anyway being funny, apart from the custard pie fight at the end of Monte Carlo or Bust!

Terry-Thomas, what a bloke. Died of a really nasty disease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry-Thomas

Moonrise Kingdom. I think most all of Wes Anderson films are great IMO. Many other good ones mentioned in the thread.
Yes, Wes Anderson films are always worth watching. The best, IMO, is The Grand Budapest Hotel, with Ralph Fiennes superb.

One of those films you think you're gonna hate, but are pleasantly surprised - Jumanji, Welcome To The Jungle, only watched because SWMBO likes The Rock. Really funny.

Definitely Napoleon Dynamite, we have the dvd, some fantastically funny bits, like when someone throws a steak at someone on a bicycle and it hits them smack in the face. The dance at the end works very well, and the Vote For Pedro running gag is superb. > when he shaves his head because he is too hot...:)

Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin don’t do it for me. Same with Superbad. Seth Rogan is hit & miss - I did try, but not my cup o char.

Ready to see Trading Places and Naked Gun again. Both used to be on TV regularly, but not seen them for ages.
I think Trading Places would come across a quite dated, but would still watch if for the sake of nostalgia.

I love Kingpin, so many good bits in it, Bill Murray steals every scene as well.

Superbad is about the only Seth Rogen film I like.

We watched Trading Places again at Christmas it's still one of the best comedies ever in my opinion.

Forgot to mention the Kevin Smith films. Clerks, Mallrats and Dogma were all great in their day.

Will Ferrell is another a find very hit an miss, I love Anchorman, Talledega Nights and Elf but thought Step Brothers, Blades of Glory etc to be garbage.

Juno, O' Brother Where Art Thou, Best in Show, Borat, Shaun Of The Dead all worth a watch as well.

I struggle watching comedies from the 40s, 50s and 60s. Don't mind Some Like it Hot but I've watched a good few of the James Stewart and Cary Grant ones but just can't get into them at all, too used to watching their Hitchcock classics.

About 22 years ago I won a competition on The Big Breakfast, the prize being a week in San Fran with £500 spending money. We were put up in a fancy suite in The Francis Drake hotel next to Union square. I got to visit Lombard Street and walk up it. Very steep as everything is there :)

£500 spending money for a week in SF? That would have lasted about two days LOL.

Seriously, what a great prize, SF is probably my favourite US city. I should have been there last year in June and again in September ........... sad times.

Life of Brian, Holy Grail
Paul (Pegg & Frost's best by a mile for me)
Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Roxanne
Play It Again Sam, Sleeper, Manhattan Murder Mystery
A Night In Casablanca, A Day At The Races, The Big Store
Horrible Bosses
Ted
We’re The Millers
Naked Gun
As Good As It Gets

I'll add in "Carry on up the Khyber."

Toilet humour. Bum gags. Boob gags. What more do you want.

Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The wife was in stitches, though the wine had probably helped!

We also watched Carry on Camping. Khyber is clearly classier, though Camping's quite fun.

Quite a lot of Pythonesque stuff going on in Khyber, I thought.

Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The wife was in stitches, though the wine had probably helped!

We also watched Carry on Camping. Khyber is clearly classier, though Camping's quite fun.

Quite a lot of Pythonesque stuff going on in Khyber, I thought.

“Anyone for Tiffin?”

I just don't get Withnail. Saw it at the cinema with a GF, I found it mildly amusing but cringe making. She sat in silence. Sorry. It's just not funny.

It's strange how people's sense of humour differs. Withnail features on a lot of 'funniest film' lists, both here and elsewhere. I found both it unfunny and tedious.

I have to agree with the OP though. 'A Town Called Panic' is one of the few films that has actually had me gasping for breath (avoid the dubbed version though).

'What's Up Doc?' and 'The Producers' also had the same effect, though I don't think the former has aged all that well.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back