advertisement

Difficult...Started off agreeing with Steve with -
Life of Brian,
Holy Grail,
Airplane.

As I read through the topic, I see more & more contenders -
The Man With Two Brains (Oh, pointy birds, pointy, pointy...)
Spinal Tap
Withnail & I
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
The Big Lebowski
Etc. Etc...

Not mentioned yet, but a brilliant spoof monster movie, Lake Placid. Wonderful cast, script dripping with cutting sarcasm, and some nasty bits.

I nearly mentioned Lake Placid but wasn't sure it was funny funny!

We love it and the dialogue and acerbic wit is second to none, it's a firm favourite in our house

Dare I mention cartoons? May I venture:

"Hare-way to the stars". Marvin the Martian, of Bugs Bunny: "That creature has stolen the Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator!"

"What's Opera Doc?" (IMHO the best cartoon ever made). Music from various Wagner operas, Elmer Fudd as Siegfried and Bugs Bunny as Brunhilde. Elmer, furious at having been deceived by the escaping Bugs: "North winds blow, south winds blow, typhoon, hurricane, earthquakes ... smog!"

Dare I mention cartoons? May I venture:

"Hare-way to the stars". Marvin the Martian, of Bugs Bunny: "That creature has stolen the Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator!"

"What's Opera Doc?" (IMHO the best cartoon ever made). Music from various Wagner operas, Elmer Fudd as Siegfried and Bugs Bunny as Brunhilde. Elmer, furious at having been deceived by the escaping Bugs: "North winds blow, south winds blow, typhoon, hurricane, earthquakes ... smog!"

I do like that cartoon, but I would like to keep on topic please.

I am a big fan of Japanese anime, and various kinds of animation, but I don’t know of many that are ‘My Funniest Films Ever.’

The one that does make me howl, along with the G-Kids is Pom Poko (1994) which at first viewing is baffling. Myself and the G-Kids love it, The Wife doesn’t get it at all. Must have seen it 6 times at least.
info.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110008/

I rather enjoy Bobcat Goldthwaite's films. They can be a bit unsubtle, less than formally perfect, but are pretty funny. 'Shakes the Clown' (about an alcohoilic children's entertainer), 'World's Greatest Dad' (actually a rather dark late turn from Robin Williams skewering the veneration of the dead) and 'God Bless America' (where a couple of misanthropes entertainingly embark on a massacre of bigots and reality TV stars) are all well worth a watch.

Last edited:
I rather enjoy Bobcat Goldthwaite's films. They can be a bit unsubtle, less than formally perfect, but are pretty funny. 'Shakes the Clown' (about an alcohoilic children's entertainer), 'World's Greatest Dad' (actually a rather tragic final turn from Robin Williams skewering the veneration of the dead) and 'God Bless America' (where a couple of misanthropes entertainingly embark on a massacre of bigots and reality TV stars) are all well worth a watch.

I am not sure that I would like all of Bobcat Goldwait‘s films but I found some on Amazon and will have a go with ‘God Bless America,’ tonight (if I remember)
I watched the trailer and it might be right up my street.

Lots mentioned that I'd put up so I'll add this one as I haven't seen it mentioned yet:

Waking Ned Devine.

Trains, Planes and Automobiles,
The Producers
Life of Brian

and most recently seen, "Call My Agent" on Netflix

...and nobody has mentioned any Marx Brothers films yet...I love them all
Animal Crackers
Duck Soup etc

...and nobody has mentioned any Marx Brothers films yet...I love them all
Animal Crackers
Duck Soup etc

I have deliberately avoided Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy etc and tried to go for more recent films.

I think somebody has mentioned the Marx Bros.

I agree @madmike the Marx bros. are very very funny. Often it is Harpo who cracked me up the most when I was young, but nowadays it is Groucho and his timing that slays me.

I have an excellent book of Groucho’s letters /correspondence, including the responses. He exchanged letters with some highly notable folk. The letters are gems, it is a book I dip into again and again.

I rather enjoy Bobcat Goldthwaite's films. They can be a bit unsubtle, less than formally perfect, but are pretty funny. 'Shakes the Clown' (about an alcohoilic children's entertainer), 'World's Greatest Dad' (actually a rather dark late turn from Robin Williams skewering the veneration of the dead) and 'God Bless America' (where a couple of misanthropes entertainingly embark on a massacre of bigots and reality TV stars) are all well worth a watch.

@foxwelljsly We watched God Bless America this evening. (£3.50 rental on Amazon)

Laughing from the start, although we were instantly thinking how it would end... some dark dark humour in this film, but a winner, thank you.
I told my daughter about it, and she had seen it a while ago :)
It reminded me a bit of Natural Born Killers with less soundtrack and more humour.

In response I would recommend to you a film called Super (2010) which was on Netflix, but not at the moment (it might be?) it came out at a similar time as Kick Ass and at a quick glance looks related to it, but it isn’t at all. I far prefer it to Kick Ass, but not many folk have seen it.

This >
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512235/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_(2010_American_film)

Can't remember the title, but there was the film about the Communist activist in East Berlin who goes into a coma before the Wall falls, and wakes up afterwards.

advertisement

Back