advertisement

Le Diner de Cons - hilarious French farce

A Fish called Wanda - John Cleese, Jamie Curtis and Kevin Kline all superb. Seems to be a completely forgotten film nowadays, maybe it hasn't aged?

Burn after Reading - Coen Brothers direct Clooney, Pitt, Swinton, Malkovich, McDormand and a brilliant J.K. Simmons as a bamboozled CIA boss.

Not heard of the French film.

I didn’t get A Fish Called Wanda at all, but there have been a few ticks for it.

Burn After Reading - I had high hopes for this film as I had followed the Coen brothers career for a while, fell flat with us.

(Their film A Serious Man didn’t do anything for us as well, along with Hail Caeser! which we thought was dire. The Coen brothers did bring back the love with ‘The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs’
2018 which was a cracker of a film.)

I bought a vampire motorcycle. It was a cult film when I was a student, I remember it as absolutely hilarious. It’s probably not passed the test of time, but I remember rolling in the aisles at the Cornerhouse in Manchester.

Just discovered it on Amazon Prime, and it’s half-term next week, I’m going to have to aren’t I?

Just started watching the film now on amazon prime.

I will let you know...

We find Adam Sandler films hit & miss. Didn’t enjoy any of the ones you have listed.

BUT

Punch Drunk Love (2002) is one of our favourite films, have it on dvd, again I must dig that out as it is a classic (in this house)
If you haven’t seen it and like Adam Sandler films then you are in for a treat.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272338/

I seemed to have missed that one. I'll give it a try.

I can't think of any more, other than the excellent choices above but
Follow a Star, where Hattie Jaques gives Norman Wisdom elecution lessons.
That has me in stitches.

Awaits incoming...

‘I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle’

Daniel Peacock... he was in everything in the Eighties. The film had a nice handmade feel to it, not a million miles from Peter Jackson’s Bad Taste, same with the cheese soundtrack. There were loads of British actors who I recognised, felt like an episode of The Bill in places :)

As for being funny, I can understand how it achieves cult status. A gang of mates and a few beers and I can see how it would work.
The bits that did crack me up was the toilet scene. Unexpected and I laughed a lot at that.
The pool table fight scene was amateur dramatics on a bad night. Not so good.

Historically interesting from a British film industry perspective, so glad I have seen it.
Would I watch it again?
No.

It is the sort of film that I will talk to my brother-in-law about when I next see him.
He is a professor of independent film and has fantastic knowledge.

@lordsummit Thanks for that recommendation, sort of film I feel I should have known about, but didn’t.

The American Pie films upto and including the Wedding, The Hangover films, Deuce Bigalow, and in the 80’s there was an American medical film called Stitches which I loved!

One of my fondest memories was going to the cinema with my father and uncle (bless their souls) to see a double bill of Blazing Saddles and Holy Grail.

‘I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle’

Daniel Peacock... he was in everything in the Eighties. The film had a nice handmade feel to it, not a million miles from Peter Jackson’s Bad Taste, same with the cheese soundtrack. There were loads of British actors who I recognised, felt like an episode of The Bill in places :)

As for being funny, I can understand how it achieves cult status. A gang of mates and a few beers and I can see how it would work.
The bits that did crack me up was the toilet scene. Unexpected and I laughed a lot at that.
The pool table fight scene was amateur dramatics on a bad night. Not so good.

Historically interesting from a British film industry perspective, so glad I have seen it.
Would I watch it again?
No.

It is the sort of film that I will talk to my brother-in-law about when I next see him.
He is a professor of independent film and has fantastic knowledge.

@lordsummit Thanks for that recommendation, sort of film I feel I should have known about, but didn’t.

phew!! It is the toilet scene I remember vividly!! Students and beer, it was a perfect mix

Well I wouldn't say it was one of my favourite films, in fact I've only seen it the once. But as far as gut busting, tear streaming, unable to breath goes - when me and a few former work colleagues watched Guest House Paradiso in about 2000 ish with a few beers and pizzas, I think I was in actual pain from laughing.

Actual favourites would be

Withnail and I
Four Lions

Guest House Paradiso

I tried that film a couple of years ago, one for the Bottom fans.

The added fun of watching in a group, and a few beers can make a positive difference. Somebody has probably done research on that kind of shared experience.

Another thumbs up for Withnail -

we have Four Lions next to the dvd player waiting to be played.

:)

My favourite scene is where Seinfeld and Cosmo go to the New York Public Library. They look around, and Cosmo whispers 'The Dewey Decimal System, eh? What a scam that was'.

I think Kramer was one of the best sitcom characters ever. Such a crackup.

I would have to choose Snatch, Half Baked and The Castle

Half Baked seems to join other films categorised as ‘Stoner’ films.

My kids spent many years trying to convince me that ‘Pineapple Express’ is funny, and I have seen it twice. Whilst they were pissing their pants, I was missing the gags.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express_(film)

Snatch has been mentioned before, and like Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) I love the films but have never found them hilarious.
The funniest bit about Snatch (to me) is Brad Pitts accent. “Dawgs...” :)

The Castle has been mentioned before as well. It was promoted on a recent(ish) series about Australian films, I think on BBC 4. Not seen The Castle yet.

Here is the series about Australian cinema.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hy15

For me, many Peter Sellers' films, especially "The Party", as a 1960s South Asian immigrant, recalling my father and his friends from that era....he nailed it! In fact it was the only film I can remember that had my dear departed father in stitches.
"Four Lions" - is a future classic, though it took me at least two watches to get the humour.
When I was a kid, "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" used to crack me up but I guess that humour hasn't aged very well.
I do really enjoy most Coen brother films but agree with Big Tabs that "Burn After Reading" was a miss.

advertisement

Back