advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you tell it's a bachelor pad? Have moved the gear round a few rooms in my new house and tried a few placements in this room. I think this suits me best because I can face the fire though that hearth needs a lick of paint....

2021-01-23-12-14-02-346.jpg

2021-01-23-12-04-24-310.jpg

2021-01-23-12-05-42-154.jpg

2021-01-23-12-08-38-615.jpg

2021-01-23-12-16-10-647.jpg
Those amps are REALLY nice !

Didn’t think an SME20 would need a wall shelf?

Would love to hear one of those at some point, always impressed with the engineering.

Brave man to put a 20 on a wall mount. Heavy metal

It’s just easiest. I’m not one for furniture like sideboards and tv units, and I can’t put it on the isoblue because the power amp is tall so needs to sit atop too and also because it generates a lot of heat. When I had everything sat under a window in a different room I could split the isoblue and that worked alright sonically but was a hopeless layout practically. That wall it’s mounted on was a solid external wall on a 1930s house before an extension was added so it’s a pretty solid fixing

In 2020 I decided to try the new EAR Phonobox for Koetsu Urushi m/c instead of using the m/c phono inside Devialet Expert.
I also bought an Origin Live Aladdin Mk2 medium output cartridge for use on a Jelco 850 that replaced a Jelco 750. The OL is a badged SoundSmith Zephyr Mk3 and is a complete joy.
Also bought a pair of Wilson Sabrina at the end of the year. My wife's choice. A really good pair of speakers.
50858445477_d1c7c6adb8_h.jpg

What’s that fabulous looking unit you have your equipment on please?

What’s that fabulous looking unit you have your equipment on please?

See above. Made for me by Simon Gavin at Audinni. Highly recommended. He also made a large matching unit for LPs.

We are renovating and I want to sell it, but my wife wants to get the veneer stripped and matched to the new furniture in the same space. It's rare for me to want to get rid of anything hifi but the wife wants to keep it.

Brave man to put a 20 on a wall mount. Heavy metal
It’s fine on something like the Target tt2 shelf into brick but dry wall, lath and plaster and you’d be asking for it. One drawback of using a table or rack is that the SME’s high mass will raise the centre of gravity of the support enough to make lateral movement a potential problem. I got it to jump by accidentally moving my hand on the table during set up this week.

cMVYuuS.jpg

Can you tell it's a bachelor pad? Have moved the gear round a few rooms in my new house and tried a few placements in this room. I think this suits me best because I can face the fire though that hearth needs a lick of paint....

2021-01-23-12-14-02-346.jpg

It's a gorgeous fireplace, but also a gorgeous looking system. It strikes me that it's a shame to hide its glory in the corner. Were you not tempted to put it in the alcove on the right, near to the fireplace, so that it could be more visible? Or would that crouch the style of the fireplace? I guess it might; dilemma! Looks great anyway, and that looks like a nice room for SHL5s.

It’s fine on something like the Target tt2 shelf into brick but dry wall, lath and plaster and you’d be asking for it. One drawback of using a table or rack is that the SME’s high mass will raise the centre of gravity of the support enough to make lateral movement a potential problem. I got it to jump by accidentally moving my hand on the table during set up this week.

cMVYuuS.jpg

HiFi Racks made me a special order wall mount that happily supported a 38kg Clearaudio Champion Level II deck. The special order element was the triangular support underneath. It was mounted into cinder block, no trouble at all.

101163644@N04

Didn’t think an SME20 would need a wall shelf?

Would love to hear one of those at some point, always impressed with the engineering.
It doesn't, at least not on a concrete floor. Mine is "slumming it" :) on top of four shelves of Atacama Equinox (entry-level tripod version).
Since I went dCS for digital it's feeling a little abandoned.

It doesn't, at least not on a concrete floor. Mine is "slumming it" :) on top of four shelves of Atacama Equinox (entry-level tripod version).
Since I went dCS for digital it's feeling a little abandoned.
Vinyl just becomes a faff, I hardly buy it these days as I get great results from CD. I probably play my LP12 once a week at most.

It's the "faff" that I enjoy mate :p
Likewise but rather than bob back and forth during a session I tend to do a vinyl weekend or full evening, streaming is way more convenient and great for try before you buy and discovering new artists. Some of the vinyl is poor quality but a lot is really good, flat and quiet, it is getting more expensive though.

Likewise but rather than bob back and forth during a session I tend to do a vinyl weekend or full evening, streaming is way more convenient and great for try before you buy and discovering new artists. Some of the vinyl is poor quality but a lot is really good, flat and quiet, it is getting more expensive though.

When you buy "new" music is it vinyl you opt for?

I just use streaming for as you say "try before you buy" anything new is vinyl, I've been more than happy with the quality

When you buy "new" music is it vinyl you opt for?

I just use streaming for as you say "try before you buy" anything new is vinyl, I've been more than happy with the quality
Yes have bought only 1 digital disk in last 2 years - Steven Wilson Blu Ray, on the other hand I've bought a shedload of vinyl since I started shielding last Feb. Some from Disogs has been less than pleasing, they are often “generous” with their mint assessment. Most new vinyl has been decent, only a few poor with pressings/cosmetic issues needing returned.

I am not sure I see the point with a lot of new vinyl but I do still buy the odd 2nd hand gem. I just won’t pay £20+ for a record when I can get the same on CD for less than a tenner.

I don’t tend to mix formats though, tend to listen to vinyl early evening, usually, once a week & then switch to CD after I’ve eaten.

We all have our rituals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back