advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, the Discogs experience has been a mixed bag for me to be honest

I always assume they been over graded by one grade - ie. mint- = vg+. I’ve only one really bad experience where a mint- LP was covered in dust and fingerprints, and also has a deep scratch the full length of one side, and another covering half of the other side.

It's a gorgeous fireplace, but also a gorgeous looking system. It strikes me that it's a shame to hide its glory in the corner. Were you not tempted to put it in the alcove on the right, near to the fireplace, so that it could be more visible? Or would that crouch the style of the fireplace? I guess it might; dilemma! Looks great anyway, and that looks like a nice room for SHL5s.

Thanks for that. You can’t tell from the photos but that room is a thoroughfare and you pass from the kitchen through it to the main sitting area that has the tv and my second system in it. That room has the comfy sofa and looks out over a park so is the main hang out for me and the kids when they’re here. So you actually see more of it where it is rather than the other corner. I did have it pointing out toward the room and the speakers each moved round a corner anti clockwise, but then I couldn’t see the fire...

Last edited:
When you buy "new" music is it vinyl you opt for?

I just use streaming for as you say "try before you buy" anything new is vinyl, I've been more than happy with the quality

Yes have bought only 1 digital disk in last 2 years - Steven Wilson Blu Ray, on the other hand I've bought a shedload of vinyl since I started shielding last Feb. Some from Disogs has been less than pleasing, they are often “generous” with their mint assessment. Most new vinyl has been decent, only a few poor with pressings/cosmetic issues needing returned.

Same for me, although I usually look for LPs that include download codes if possible so that I can continue to listen on the go, large capacity iPhone helps here...

Same for me, although I usually look for LPs that include download codes if possible so that I can continue to listen on the go, large capacity iPhone helps here...
I used Tidal now Qobuz offline mode to dump lots of albums to my Phone and now an AK DAP with SD Card, not that I’m getting out much but it does mean no drop outs when on the Treadmill.

Spent lockdown trying to make the Kallax look a little more joined up...

50875145192_eae7052cbf_h.jpg

LP12 with Tangerine Plateau and Karma
Aro
Armageddon
DV XX2
DV L300
DV Hx1.2
MDHT Orchid
Pi/Digione Signatures/Shanti

Just as an experiment, I have decided to try out an old Icon Audio Stereo 40 amplifier which I had lying in a cupboard for years. I have fitted it with Gold Lion KT88s, and Tungsol 6SL7/6SN7 (all modern versions). It actually sounds really nice driving my Harbeths, using a Bluesound Node 2i for digital, and my Croft 25RS as a phono stage. There's something nice about the glow of the valves on a cold winter night too!

IMG_4708 by Osh, on Flickr

Just as an experiment, I have decided to try out an old Icon Audio Stereo 40 amplifier which I had lying in a cupboard for years. I have fitted it with Gold Lion KT88s, and Tungsol 6SL7/6SN7 (all modern versions). It actually sounds really nice driving my Harbeths, using a Bluesound Node 2i for digital, and my Croft 25RS as a phono stage. There's something nice about the glow of the valves on a cold winter night too!

The single malt looks good as well.........

Looks great - which Harbeth's do you use with the Croft pre/power? I have a Croft Integrated (upgraded) and often wondered how a set of Harbeths might go with them...

For a budget product, Kallax can do a great job, can’t it!

Very much, short of getting something custom made, nothing suits my purposes better. I had the hi fi on an isoblue rack and wall shelf and was worried about sq. But I’ve braced the unit to the wall with big manly things and the shelves to uprights with little manly things and bathroom sealant, and it sounds fine. Makes floor space too!

Last edited:
Looks great - which Harbeth's do you use with the Croft pre/power? I have a Croft Integrated (upgraded) and often wondered how a set of Harbeths might go with them...
Thanks - I have a pair of M30.1s. They do work very well with the Crofts, though I have been thinking of changing them as the room they are now in is bigger than the room I initially bought them for. Some seem to suggest that Harbeths work better with higher powered amplifiers, but it's not something I have tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back