advertisement

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think there is a rather grim moral to this tale. If you cheat, lie, break the law, you're a racist, and collude with racists then you can snatch the most powerful job in the land, and people will love you.

I dread to think what this is teaching future generations.

My father was once told me that most of the people that he knew that had done well for themselves started off as crooks. It's common knowledge that sociopaths often do well because they use fake charm and manipulate people to get what they want.

I once had a boss that managed to turn everyone against each other by sh*stirring. He would then get everyone to compete with each other to try to make us work harder. It obviously worked and from the few people I talked to it seemed no one could see what was going on.
Saying that, I've had some great bosses who've done well for themselves in the past, so it's not set in stone.

Tell us your first choice leader, Notaclue, and how they might avoid making a bad impression with the press.

Thanks for taking the time to participate in this survey of People Who Know What’s Best.

You ask the man for his opinion.. he respectfully replies and gives you his opinion and you get all sarcastic on him.

If you already have all the opinions you want why ask for others ?

The trouble is that the former colonies now have their own industries and won't buy overpriced goods from the UK. Even without freedom of movement, to export anything you are now competing with countries that have much lower industrial wages.

Or as four of Johnson’s Cabinet members so ably put it ( not that many of those in Bolsover, Doncaster or Stoke voting ‘Boris’ on Thursday will have read yet)-

“The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music.”
“The UK should “stop indulging in irrelevant debates about sharing the pie between manufacturing and services, the north and the south, women and men”.

...so much for the Northern Powerhouse.

Which would you rather we didn’t resist, the racism or gerrymandering? Both?

Sorry, shouldn’t have mentioned the B words. They’re not uppermost in my mind right now, but their indifference to racism does need to be remarked on occasionally when people get nostalgic for the good old days.
Were you envisaging a career comeback for Jim (nick -nick n*g-n*g) Davidson? Visiting the troops with Tommy Robinson.

Again...no, that was not the point I was trying to make.

The were plenty , suitably concerned but they were rubbish media communicators about their concerns.

I remember " Free Broadband For All "...not "no more rough sleeping from day one"

And why do you think that might be? Hmmmm.... maybe because the media attacked Labour's broadband idea as rubbish (which it wasn't) and ignored Labour's policies on homelessness as it wasn't easy to make them look stupid! You remember what you remember becuase of where you read it... until people in this country start to look further than Sky and the BBC for their 'news' we are all doomed to this existence!

A quick question for those Labour supporters who loath Corbyn and also for the more enthusiastic door knocking Labour supports.

Do you feel that the loathing, either your own or those you’ve spoken to on the doorstep, is based on Corbyn himself, or his policies?

Frothing right wingers need not apply

I think the North East was offered this during Blair's reign, and they rejected it.
They were (2004) and do you know who led the campaign against it? (the slogan was ‘spend the money on the nhs not more politicians’)...a certain Dominic Cummings.

“BBC political editor Andrew Marr said many in the No Camp were Eurosceptic campaigners and ministers would need to reflect on the lessons for its referendum on the new European constitution”.
BBC, 5 Nov 2004

Loving the headlines this morning.... "PM to visit the North"

Like it's some far flung inaccessible badlands and he could be in grave danger :D

He'll have to work out where it is first.
He's likely going to visit the White Walkers who put him in power..

maybe because the media attacked Labour's broadband idea as rubbish (which it wasn't)

Actually it was! Wired technology is becoming increasingly obsolete, it would remove choice/competition, create a monopoly in core communications infrastructure where a strike could cripple all businesses, and place internet access and a lot of personal data under the direct control of the state. Screw that! Homelessness as a lead issues would have played far better IMHO. The sites we all see daily on city streets are heartbreaking and a blight on our whole society. The Tories created it, they own it and Labour should have weaponised it.

A quick question for those Labour supporters who loath Corbyn and also for the more enthusiastic door knocking Labour supports.

Do you feel that the loathing, either your own or those you’ve spoken to on the doorstep, is based on Corbyn himself, or his policies?

I don't loath him so I'm not the person to answer really, but I think it's way more nuanced than any binary thinking. Corbyn lacks personality and charisma that we nowadays associate with leading politicians and his refusal to engage in what is now the generally aggressive version of politics left him exposed. Chuck in the media's derision and muck scraping and you have a man who is not seen as a leader. When you read the Labour manifesto I think it reads quite well, but is it deliverable financially... probably not, but then neither is the Tories'.

The trouble is that it's almost like people expect the Tories to be liars and just accept that about them whereas with Labour and other parties they seem to expect better... it's a case of not holding parties to the same set of moral standards.The real problem is that most people don't read manifestoes, they simply take their lead from the media reports about them... Labour were on a hiding to nothing in this election in that respect. Chuck in Brexit and the overall message of 'just get it done' coming from the Tories (like a pregnant woman saying let's get this birth done so I can get back to my life) and it's a catastrophic defeat for Labour.

They need a charismatic leader (and shadow cabinet) who play the game ... that is the first thing they need to sort out. You won't win in this country by being honest and not stooping to the 'gutter politics' level of the Tories no matter how good your policies are! You should be able to, but I think this reflects where society is... they've just elected a morally bankrupt set of liars... hmmmm!

Overall this whole thing has revived my PTSD from being a Labour student and Tory ruled citizen the 1980s. Except the miners instead of going on strike voted for Johnson....voted for getting brexit done maybe?

And why do you think that might be? Hmmmm.... maybe because the media attacked Labour's broadband idea as rubbish (which it wasn't) and ignored Labour's policies on homelessness as it wasn't easy to make them look stupid! You remember what you remember becuase of where you read it... until people in this country start to look further than Sky and the BBC for their 'news' we are all doomed to this existence!

I don't loath him so I'm not the person to answer really, but I think it's way more nuanced than any binary thinking. Corbyn lacks personality and charisma that we nowadays associate with leading politicians and his refusal to engage in what is now the generally aggressive version of politics left him exposed. Chuck in the media's derision and muck scraping and you have a man who is not seen as a leader. When you read the Labour manifesto I think it reads quite well, but is it deliverable financially... probably not, but then neither is the Tories'.

They need a charismatic leader (and shadow cabinet) who play the game ... that is the first thing they need to sort out. You won't win in this country by being honest and not stooping to the 'gutter politics' level of the Tories no matter how good your policies are! You should be able to, but I think this reflects where society is... they've just elected a morally bankrupt set of liars... hmmmm!

So.... asked and answered....by yourself.

I view some of his policies as unrealistic though support many others. The main issue was he was a simply terrible leader. Some people are just best in the back room or in other roles, so its no slight on the guy beyond him being daft enough to accept a job he clearly didn’t have the wherewithal or personality to see through in a competent manner.

No one gets to be the least popular leader in UK political history or lead a party to its worst defeat ever by being the right person for the job. His failure is absolute and most of us have been predicting the outcome for years now. It was blindingly obvious he would never get to lead a majority government and he proved so bad a crass Bullingdon Club cartoon of elitism with a three word soundbite and a history of lying, cheating, bullying and failing at every job in his highly privileged life absolutely destroyed Labour. An absolutely epic failure and the Party now clearly needs to rebuild with something entirely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back