advertisement

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Am I right in thinking that 47% of the electorate voted for getting Brexit done, whilst 53% voted for having a say on the final deal or cancelling it entirely?"

"Not what was being talked about. Was talking about the election. Also the electorate, which the referendum result is not."

The last time the electorate voted for "getting Brexit done", specifically, was in 2016, the result of which was 51.89 Leave
48.11 Remain.

There were numerous topics in play during the election.

"Am I right in thinking that 47% of the electorate voted for getting Brexit done, whilst 53% voted for having a say on the final deal or cancelling it entirely?"

"Not what was being talked about. Was talking about the election. Also the electorate, which the referendum result is not."

The last time the electorate voted for "getting Brexit done", specifically, was in 2016, the result of which was 51.89 Leave
48.11 Remain.

There were numerous topics in play during the election.
That would be "The Brexit Election" as it appeared on my screen? Sky?

And in any case, as I say again, the election was what was under discussion.

Just heard Paul Mason say that one of the things Labour met on the doorsteps of its heartlands was blatant racism, not xenophobia but racist memes and expressions you’d not get away with in the workplace or that could be repeated in a TV studio and it didn’t quite know how to deal with it.

I'm not exactly surprised to hear this. It's all very well politicians and the like talking about freedom of movement etc. but this can and does lead to the lowering of remuneration rates in some sectors which can and does get used to foster 'negative views'.

Regards

Richard

So discounting Brexit, what policies did the Tories offer that won them the election?

It's irrelevant. They got the result. Whatever you may think, the Torys all got behind their leader, and that appears significant.

Instead of churning what they did do, the focus is now on what Labour didn't do. And how of if they can correct that.

I'm not exactly surprised to hear this. It's all very well politicians and the like talking about freedom of movement etc. but this can and does lead to the lowering of remuneration rates in some sectors which can and does get used to foster 'negative views'.

Regards

Richard
The trouble is that the former colonies now have their own industries and won't buy overpriced goods from the UK. Even without freedom of movement, to export anything you are now competing with countries that have much lower industrial wages.

ELsisOxXkAAhrjm.jpg

The only possible glimmer of hope is Johnson is a vacuous egotist so will want to go down in history with what he views as a good legacy, so that may/may not be a homeless person dying on the streets every 19 hours and hundreds dying on trolleys in the NHS waiting to be seen as happens at present. Today a statistic was released stating every single A&E in the land has failed its waiting target (BBC). Way to go Tories!

I am actually far more worried about Cummings who has placed on p48 of the Conservative manifesto everything needed to remove centuries of political accountability and legal due process. It is very vague in wording and very broad in potential scope. He is an exceptionally dangerous person and when Brexit goes bad (there is no other possible outcome) things will likely get real ugly real fast. He knows he has cheated votes from the north and he has placed in the manifesto methods to protect his corrupt government from what by rights is coming their way. Chilling echoes of Germany in the early 1930s.

It is also worth noting that both Scotland and Northern Ireland now have majority nationalist parliaments, and given the GFA is entirely incompatible with Brexit (especially Johnson’s airheaded reheat of May’s arse-biscuit) things might well get a bit ‘combustible’ before this parliament is out. The lid is barely on NI as is, people have died this year, and I wouldn’t be even slightly surprised to see bombing back on the streets of mainland UK before this parliament is out. I’ll be quite surprised if there even is a UK in five years.
I think we both hope you are wrong

Like him or loathe him it is now clear that Farage is the most influential UK politician of this century so far.

Mulling over cause and effect in UK politics in the last five years during a sleepless night I have decided that it is fact John Prescott.

Now we are back to reading Tony Connelly. Who confirms everything Clarke said about Johnson signing up in haste to deal he probably didn't understand and one that May had already rejected.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/1213/1099064-tory-landslide-irish-sea/

"Boris Johnson's stunning election victory means the Irish Protocol - creating a border in the Irish Sea - will come into effect.

"Everything was done at breakneck speed," says one senior Stormont official. "That is the problem. Johnson is celebrating a successful negotiation, but one in which he compromised radically on principle."

"So effectively, what we turned down in October 2018 as having real difficulties in terms of its workability," says Kelly, "Boris [Johnson], in an effort to get Brexit done by 31 October, rolled over and accepted it"."

I guess now we get to see what Johnson and Cummings and Co are like when it comes to detail rather than slogans.

Well, I think there is a rather grim moral to this tale. If you cheat, lie, break the law, you're a racist, and collude with racists then you can snatch the most powerful job in the land, and people will love you.

I dread to think what this is teaching future generations.

i think one way of ameliorating the effects of the ge would be for england to have its own parliament. i have long thought that the absence of such speaks volumes about the arrogance with which the UK as a political entity is treated by westminster. it is taken for granted and is a convenience for english rule. we badly need a proper federal structure here and such an institution would possibly hold off the drive for scottish independence. i was disappointed that none of the main uk parties floated the idea, especially labour. it is a progressive idea that would help strengthen the democratic process and buy-in up here. but in the meantime, i would much prefer to belong to the eu than the uk, given that the choice has been forced upon me.
I think the North East was offered this during Blair's reign, and they rejected it.

The problem for Wilson is that firstly, as has been said, it was labelled the "Brexit election" - whilst secondly, post election, BJ has been claiming that "the result now settles the Brexit question once and for all"

It does not though. The majority voted for not leaving without another vote and it is only the antiquated FPTP system that sees the man with a majority.

Tell us your first choice leader, Notaclue, and how they might avoid making a bad impression with the press.

That's a good question but would be even better if enough people actually realised that Corbyn was a bigger problem on the doorstep than Brexit although obviously that too was a large factor. They didn't take a strong position on what the UK's relationship with the EU should be. I'm not saying their position didn't make any sense, it just wasn't direct enough.

There were aspects of the flood of policy that was confusing and even looked a tad gimmicky at times and some clear key messages might have worked better. They certainly didn't find a way to 'cut through' on the 9 years but I think there is a much bigger obstacle and it isn't necessarily the radical platform. A lot of the voters they aim at will be economically quite left wing or at least open to changes to improve their lot. But culturally, a lot of them are very right wing indeed. Shockingly so. I don't remember encountering such racist hostility at elections in the 70s or 80s. The groundwork done by Farage and Co. on these voters cannot be underestimated.

The Tories since 2016 have welcomed the distraction and played to it by ditching their usual focus on economics and gone full nationalist. Cummings just brought more culturally right wing campaigning from Leave to the Tories.

Having gone after these voters in the hope to replace and exceed the numbers of people they attracted culturally in the past, but who were more sceptical on left wing economics - it's a considerable challenge.

Even as a Remainer that is not going to wash with me. The opposition should have made an electoral pact. They didn't. It's over.

Me neither, but I am looking forward to the incompatible objectives having to be fudged, that will be a hoot. I think the easiest thing for Johnson politically will be to fudge the relationship with the EU. There is no real prospect of serious divergence and that will piss off the nutters. Farage will carp but after all this time even some of his fans will be weary of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back