advertisement

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Therefore, we can start to argue about what really matters - Global Warming.

There is no time to argue about it, and the changes needed will make Brexit and austerity look like a walk in the park.

Which is why it will not happen.

We have spent 3.5 years arguing over a referendum vote. We will still be arguing about the climate emergency while the water levels are up to our knees.

As is seen regularly on here many are only interested in their own political brand, there is no interest in unity to achieve anything.
If anything were to be done we need a leader, not the impotent bunch of politicians we currently have.
The drastic steps necessary to have any major impact by every person would be political suicide.

Tell us your first choice leader, Notaclue, and how they might avoid making a bad impression with the press.

I had a look earlier and that's a tough one. https://members.parliament.uk/members/commons?partyid=15&page=1 Nobody leaps out.

Such is the damage done by Corbyn, I no longer think Starmer is the answer. They need to win back swathes of the Midlands and the North. I think the middle class city vote is more secure.

Dan Jarvis might go down well, if he's up for it. I think his background would command respect among the press which would help.

Why has Corbyn not resigned immediately and taken full responsability for the result .
The Labour party needs to move on immediately

Because he wants to make sure that the person who replaces him as leader has the same political philosophy. If he left now, there is a much increased chance that a centrist candidate could win (as a reaction to the defeat) and we can't have that; in 2024 Labour need to be more left wing, obvs.

Whetherspoons man and woman have spoken! may they reap the whirlwind of their zero hours gig economy contracts, their privatized healthcare, their crumbling towns and their spiraling inflation.

Though the promise of a 4 day working week, £10/ hour minimum wage for 16 year old school leavers and free fibre broadband for all would have caused far more inflation in my view.

As 68% of the turnout voted against this, may be I'm not alone in my views.

Big anti- Johnson protests in Glasgow tonight and in London. There are pro-Johnson demonstrators in Whitehall chanting “Tommy Robinson”. I think the Sex Yeti’s honeymoon is going to be short.

Growing calls for electoral reform after vote share per party is revealed

Green MPs elected in yesterday’s general election represented more than 850,000 votes while SNP MPs represented under 26,000, according to figures from the Electoral Reform Society.

More than 330,000 votes were needed to elect a Liberal Democrat, compared to 50,000 for Labour and 38,000 for Plaid Cymru and Conservative candidates.

Meanwhile, the Brexit Party won more than 642,000 votes but failed to get any representatives in the House of Commons.

Overall, the Electoral Reform Society claims that 45.3% of votes did not get any representation, because of the number of voters who didn’t support the winning candidate.

Electoral Reform Society (@electoralreform)
Across Britain, it took...

️864,743 votes to elect 1 Green MP
️642,303 votes to elect 0 Brexit Party MPs
️334,122 votes to elect a Lib Dem
️50,817 votes for a Labour MP
️38,316 votes for a Plaid Cymru MP
️38,300 votes for a Con. MP
️25,882 votes for a SNP MP#ScrapFPTP

December 13, 2019
The figures, which come from analysing the number of votes compared to the number of MPs elected, have led to renewed calls for electoral reform.

Former Green party leader and Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas used her election victory speech to call for an end to the first past the post voting system, saying she felt “anger that our political system is so badly broken and is still letting down individuals and our country so badly”.

“Our electoral system is rotten to the core,” she said.

Last week, Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage pledged to change the party’s name to the Reform Party after the UK’s departure from the EU, in order to campaign for a proportional voting system.

I had a look earlier and that's a tough one. https://members.parliament.uk/members/commons?partyid=15&page=1 Nobody leaps out.

Such is the damage done by Corbyn, I no longer think Starmer is the answer. They need to win back swathes of the Midlands and the North. I think the middle class city vote is more secure.

Dan Jarvis might go down well, if he's up for it. I think his background would command respect among the press which would help.
Thanks for taking the time to participate in this survey of People Who Know What’s Best.

Why has Corbyn not resigned immediately and taken full responsability for the result .
The Labour party needs to move on immediately
because there is no rush. They can do FA for 5 years so let it go. Rush at the solution and you'll have a bad decision. It doesn't matter who is leader for now, they are wasting their time regardless.

Good grief, seriously?! That one really is beyond hopeless.
He’s presentationally bloody hopeless. This is a bigger disaster than the entry of Thatcher into Downing St. 40 years ago and mugs willingly voted for it.
I’m trying to find a positive- I’ve got it. It’s going to be a brilliant decade for stand up and theatre.

Last edited:
In the upcoming leadership race,

Momentum wants... Woman > Northern > Working Class (Laura Piddock was preferred, followed by Long-Bailey and Angela Rayner at a push)

anti-Momentum wants...Anyone who will purge the party of Momentum (think Yvette Cooper)

The party needs... Kier Starmer (24 hours after a momentous defeat I don’t think I could wish ten years of opposition on the poor chap, he deserves much more than this, in a couple of weeks I’m sure I’ll start believing Labour can turn this around within five years).

Fingers crossed for credible challenge of this shower of shite!

I was hoping they might do a convincing impersonation of an effective party of opposition.
I hoped that they might get a few MPs elected,and look what happened there. Forget it for 6 months, there will be and can be no effective opposition. 70-odd seats, remember? Spend the time rebuilding and let people forget, let people become disillusioned, then return with a new proposal. One that has some new thinking that wasn't outdated in 1983.

I think we can already see the pinch points where the Conservatives will have to be resisted before they become irresistible. The first is on immigration, race and above all the persecution of gypsies: the flagship policy in their manifesto. The second is electoral reform. Whatever kind of reorganisation the Labour Party undergoes we should have opposition to these policies in mind from the beginning, IMO. It's one reason not to let a full-blown Blairite or Brownite back in: they have a track record of falling over themselves to throw minorities under the bus. All IMO, of course, and I guess it's clear what that's worth.
If this is what passes for introspection after defeat, the LP is in big trouble.
1) How on earth are you going to “resist the Conservatives” on all these points? Your lot just got absolutely thrashed. Your leaders are discredited. It’ll be “just don’t have the numbers” for 5 more years.
2) How do you rebuild? Yes, of course, attack the Blairites again. Clearly the root cause of the defeat last night, eh? First things first.
Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back